A really bad day

Options

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Second, doesn't the kid go to school during the day? Why can't you bike then since you're off work and don't have to wait until after hours?

Most kids around here are on spring break

And this also. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet, lol.

~Lyssa
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Second, doesn't the kid go to school during the day? Why can't you bike then since you're off work and don't have to wait until after hours?

Most kids around here are on spring break

Spring break around here isn't until the 3rd week of April, so I didn't realize others take it earlier. Is spring break 2 weeks in other areas?

Doesn't change the fact that blaming the kid for not being able to exercise is still an excuse. Find something to do at home with the kid, involve your child in your plans, let the kid stay home alone (obviously depends on parent's comfort level), find some else to watch them, or don't exercise for that time and adjust your calorie goal appropriately.

There are options other than "I can't exercise because of my 10 year old".
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    10 year olds should be old enough to leave alone...mine stays at home for a couple of hours whilst I'm at the gym ...admittedly she's joined by her 14 year old brother after about 30 minutes.

Children need to develop independence so that they can survive high school and you can only do it in small stages

But this isn't a parenting thread

It's clearly a "what the hell possessed you to eat curried vegetable soup?" Thread :)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Curried soup is delicious!
    Take your daughter swimming?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I homeschool my kids - they are with me 24/7. I still manage to work out and stay active - we go for trail hikes, nature walks, we do yoga together and mindfully move our bodies. You have to want it badly enough to stop making excuses.

As far as going over by a few thousand calories (yikes), just move on. There is no reason to starve yourself at this point. Just chalk it up as a lesson learned.
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 year old daughter and she can keep up with me on our bikes. Granted she has to work really hard, but she loves it.

Like others said, take her to the park and jog around or do something that gets you both out and active if you won't do the bike ride with her. Having a bad day sucks but fasting is not the answer. Be super careful about what you eat today but eat enough, and exercise.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not blaming my daughter at all. I cannot leave her by herself. Enough said and just take my word for it. Swimming not an option because I cannot get her left ear wet.

It is cold, wet and windy here in London so going outside is not a good idea. However the weather cleared up enough to allow us to spend a couple of hours in the park but I am sure it is difficult to work out calories burnt pushing a child on a swing. Cycling is an idea but first she has to learn to ride a bike. :-) Today she did 46 seconds on the bike by herself. :-):-)

Now back on the wagon. Not fasting but being really careful :-)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm crazy, but why can't the kid be home alone for an hour while you go for a ride? It's not like you're leaving them overnight or something. An hour in front of the tv with a cell phone handy should be fine (but I'm not a parent, so what do I know). FYI, most states that have a home alone type law state somewhere in the 8-10 range, so I don't think I'm that far off the mark.

I'm just hearing excuses...

I did not leave my children alone at 10. And many kids are off for spring break this week.

• gpstreet
    Options
    The curried soup is lovely. Made 4.5 litres of it. Made from frozen vegetables and tins of tomatos and loads of curry powder. 150 calories per 500 ml.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    So, does this happen a lot? You go way over one day, then way under the next day? If so, every time you restrict, you're setting yourself up for the next splurge. Stop with the soup and eat to your normal goal today.
  • dramos1961
    dramos1961 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Been there! My weakness is beer & wings. But you do have to enjoy life as long as you reset your focus next day. Working on a mind set of 5 days diet, 3-4 days workout & 2 day to enjoy life. As long as I lose 2 pounds a week ...it's all good. GLTA
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Meh. Had my BFF's birthday party a couple weeks ago. Consisted of take out, followed by the opening of a jazz bar another friend owns, which meant booze and apps. Then back to our place for more booze, snacks, and fun. I estimated I ate/drank approx 1800 calories over my goal that day. Sure it slowed my weight loss down that week (by almost exactly half a pound), but it didn't kill me and since then everything has been back on track. Life happens.

Log it and move on. Don't make a habit of it. This month my husband is throwing a big birthday party at our place. I am not even going to try counting that day. It will be the only day in 4 months that I haven't logged. I will probably just skip my weigh in that week and wait until the following week. Long term is the only thing that matters.
  • gpstreet
    Options
    Long term is what matters. Lifestyle changes so this is not just a diet but a way of life. Actually the soup is very very nice and really enjoying it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Spring break is different in various areas. My kids don't have any spring break. The closest we get to it is the Easter Holiday (today and Monday off) but they took away our Monday "off" because of too many snow days this year. :)

OP I understand if you're not comfortable leaving your daughter at home alone - my mom never left me alone until I was a teen (much to my chagrin..used to annoy me to no end, lol..I'm not a baby! LOL) but every 10 year old is different. Can you take her with you for a walk? Do you have a partner or neighbor who could stay with her in the early morning or late afternoon so you can go for even a short ride?

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    Long term is what matters. Lifestyle changes so this is not just a diet but a way of life. Actually the soup is very very nice and really enjoying it.
    So is your long-term plan to fast/just eat soup after every day that you overeat? Because that's a really bad plan.

• jmagdalena707
    jmagdalena707 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Log it and move on.

This.

Really no need to pay penance.

• gpstreet
    Options
    Have logged it and will move on.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yesterday was a really bad day for me. Somehow I over indulged in hot cross buns, cheese sandwiches and beer. A couple of thousand calories over my limit. I am off work for two weeks so I have no chance to do my usual 20 mile cycle ride. Just wondered if anyone else has had these kind of days ? My thoughts have turned to fasting today to see if it will turn things round.

Explain "somehow"

And why can't you do your bike ride or similar

Have you never over indulged in beer? Somehow a lot of things happen.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    However the weather cleared up enough to allow us to spend a couple of hours in the park but I am sure it is difficult to work out calories burnt pushing a child on a swing.

One thing I had to learn early on - don't NOT do something because you can't calculate its calories. I get that you want "credit" for the activity but your body appreciates the movement. I'd also like to gently remind you that you're modeling behavior for your daughter. Please stop being a martyr and eat.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not getting why having a child should be a hindrance to activity - don't they come built in with their own activity? My kids are exercise all by themselves! I don't need to "go anywhere" or join a gym to get active and have my kids right there. The activity doesn't HAVE to be cycling without the child, right? Or going to the gym and scrambling to find daycare?

My kids and I go out front and do soccer drills and throw the baseball around and run all over the place trying to find it again when somebody misses. I go on walks with them. I take them to the park and I swing with them, I spin them on that...spinny-thing (have no idea what it's called), power-walk behind them when they're on their scooters because the scooters go fast. Or sometimes we'll switch off and one will be walk/running, another will be scooter-ing and I'll also be scooter-ing (which is a trip to watch but I've learned not to be embarrassed). We also do DVDs together - yoga and soon to be karate, as they are very interested in karate and are taking a weekly class so I think the tie-in to doing it at home as well would be great.

I don't see why someone would have to go through hoops and pay oodles of money and find babysitting just because that person has a child...? Do stuff WITH your child and trust me, you'll be active! And yes, I did all this with my oldest when I was working full-time. In the winter we had to find more indoor stuff to do just because it was already so dark by 5PM but the rest of the year, we could get out there until 7, 8, whatever the latest "still not dark yet" time was. Pick up the child from daycare, have a quick dinner, and get out there, did this for years.