Options

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    Ahh i see it changed and you now decided to tell us you are with child.
    1. Find someone to babysit or take care of the child for an hour i.e cnat they go to a friends?
    2. You can exercise in front of the TV doing a workout.
    3. You can go and do an activity with your kid, swimming, skating, biking, walking.

ps horrified by people saying leave the child alone. In this country its an offence to leave a ten year old alone and you would be in trouble with social services as well as the police.

Which country is that? I seriously doubt any country has such laws

In the UK, and from your terminology that's where it sounds like you're talking about, children go to secondary school at 11 and generally make the journey alone.

So how would they grow the independence to do that? Do they suddenly hit 11 and be capable of making a 3 mile journey on their own to school?

My 14 year old has been cycling 3 miles to school, through London for the last 3 years, before that he walked / got the bus. My 10 year old will be making a similar, but different, journey by bus in 6 months time. How could they do this without learning independence in small steps.

Any child must to be allowed to learn how to be alone / manage. Although I assume from what GP has said his daughter has special needs which change this timeline.

It's a US thing; not sure when that "rule" was set??? I know when I was 10 or so, Mom was leaving me home alone with my younger brother and sister, with instructions to stop at the neighbor's house to let them know when we got home from school; we would be home alone for 30-60 minutes until she or one of the neighbor's daughters got home and came over to watch us. These days, the younger child could just call/text someone once they arrived.

I didn't find anything about it being illegal in a quick search. I can't be bothered digging too deep - it's early and I can't have any coffee as my coffee maker is kaput :(

Here's the info for Florida: http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/childwelfare/caregivers/whentoleaveyourkidshomealone.shtml

That just says "recommended" but I think many people take it to mean "The child shall never EVER be left alone until the declared age!!!!" and ignore the bit that says "Because children mature at different rates, there is no single, pre-set age at which children are considered 'old enough' to stay home by themselves for short periods. Parents must evaluate their child’s individual development and physical capabilities."

~Lyssa

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    1. Find someone to babysit or take care of the child for an hour i.e cnat they go to a friends?
    3. You can go and do an activity with your kid, swimming, skating, biking, walking.

ps horrified by people saying leave the child alone. In this country its an offence to leave a ten year old alone and you would be in trouble with social services as well as the police.

Which country is that? I seriously doubt any country has such laws

In the UK, and from your terminology that's where it sounds like you're talking about, children go to secondary school at 11 and generally make the journey alone.

So how would they grow the independence to do that? Do they suddenly hit 11 and be capable of making a 3 mile journey on their own to school?

My 14 year old has been cycling 3 miles to school, through London for the last 3 years, before that he walked / got the bus. My 10 year old will be making a similar, but different, journey by bus in 6 months time. How could they do this without learning independence in small steps.

Any child must to be allowed to learn how to be alone / manage. Although I assume from what GP has said his daughter has special needs which change this timeline.

Exactly. My kids were independent, reliable and trustworthy from a young age. I've seen how coddled kids turn out. I refused to send my now adult kids into the world like that....
    Also there's no such law in Australia.

Interesting how cultural differences affect this topic. Last time my parents took me to school was when I was in kindergarten. Once I started first grade 6/7 years old I walked to school without my parents. a 15-20 minute walk. Everyone who lived at a walking distance from school did it even if their parents had a car. When we moved to another place that was too far to walk, I think I was by the end of first grade when I was 7, I missed the school bus once. My father put me on a public bus, explained to me how it's going to work and where the bus is going to drop me, paid the driver, and told him where to drop me. The whole generation turned out alright and I have yet to hear of any scary incidents caused by that. Maybe putting me on a bus was a bit extreme by today's standards, but I believe parents can be a little (understandably) overprotective sometimes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You go back to your regular diet the next day. Trying to make up for it just makes me hungrier the next day and I just end up binging... again. Now I eat my calories! If you're already at a deficit, it just means it will take a few days to make up for it.

ETA: I wouldn't leave a 10yo all day at home either... no way.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You go back to your regular diet the next day. Trying to make up for it just makes me hungrier the next day and I just end up binging... again. Now I eat my calories! If you're already at a deficit, it just means it will take a few days to make up for it.

ETA: I wouldn't leave a 10yo all day at home either... no way.

Nobody said all day, they are talking of an hour

It's interesting how we make our children's world smaller and smaller each generation ...I saw a map once about how children's roam zone has changed since the 60s.very sad and an indictment on modern life.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    I am coming to the conclusion that the odd bad day is not so bad. Just not to make it a habit.

Exactly. And even better if you can enjoy it as the break from routine that it is.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options

Hmm. I seem to recall there being quite a controversy in New York City when some tourists from Europe left their sleeping babies unattended in their carriages (prams? strollers?) outside the restaurant where they went to eat. Apparently that is a normal thing in Europe to leave babies in strollers outside.

I highly doubt it is illegal to leave a 10 year old home alone.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    josul75 wrote: »
    No way would I leave a 10 year old child home alone for an hour. Sure, I'd pop to the shop across the road, but most 10 year olds just aren't emotionally mature enough to handle possible emergencies when a parent is gone for that length of time.
    Like others have said, I would take your child for a walk with you, unless she is ill, in which case, you can workout at home. Your child might even enjoy doing the workouts with you - mine do!

My 10 year old certainly was...all three of my kids, at age 9-10 were mature enough be be left alone for a couple hours, if not longer. I was more concerned about the dog getting away from them than for them getting in trouble.

It depends on the child. I wouldn't have left my kids with many teenagers I knew, and that's a fact.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hmmm...I really think it's a judgment call that depends upon the maturity and capabilities of the child, not just what you've taught him or her (for example, my 11-year-old has special needs and I wouldn't leave him alone), but as I said earlier, I don't see why the child needs to be left alone at all. Why would it be impossible to do a workout DVD with the child there, or take her along for a bike ride, or play outside with her...?

And yes, as a child in the 70s, my mother left my sister, age 9, and myself, age 7, alone from 3:30PM to about 6:30PM so she could work, but we lived in an apartment complex with some not-very-nice kids and we were definitely in danger...our capabilities notwithstanding. We were physically small and that was that. There was a group of boys who were constantly trying to get the little girls to feel inside their pockets for a rabbit and so on (true story). We were afraid to "tell." One day one of these boys - age 18 - trapped me inside the laundromat (there was a laundromat downstairs in the complex and my sister and I had chores and were expected to do the laundry). He asked me if I knew how to French kiss. He told me to show him and I refused and he said I was lying and just didn't know how to do it. I kept trying to act natural and as if I didn't suspect anything, as I casually made my way around the side of the wall toward the door. (Thinking back, that was damned smart of me, I was only 7!) Eventually I made a break for it. Since there were other people around when I got outside the door, he didn't chase me but let me go. I think situations like this one were what propelled parents to become overprotective. They're not an everyday thing, but they happen.

Sometimes, NOT being exposed to other people and being inside one's own home can be dangerous as well. My ex-husband had horror stories that made me laugh despite myself - he and his brother mixing up bleach with other stuff to see what would happen and a permanent white spot on the ceiling...the two of them daring one another to jump off the roof while Mom wasn't home and so on. (By the way, what is it with boys and jumping off the roof? I mean WTF? My current husband did the same thing at age 14 and broke his collarbone. What is the fascination...?) Even the brightest kids can be absolutely stupid. MOST of the time, terrible things don't happen, granted.

But again. Even fears notwithstanding, I just don't see any reason a person can't work out with the child there. Get a DVD, go to town while the little one is coloring or what-have-you. It's not like she's a toddler. Just my $.02.
  • madisonamanda
    madisonamanda Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    As Taylor Swift recently said Log it and "Shake it off". You don't need to fast. Go out and have a nice long walk, eat to your goal today and realise we are all human, we all have days we slip up and it's only one day.

:)

This. And drink lots and lots of water. Will help with the boat ;)

• donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Poster ate a cake yesterday? What am I missing here? Just stay on your feet and walk up and down your driveway or street.
  • Cookiejo2270
    Cookiejo2270 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's a new day! :)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a really bad day for me. Somehow I over indulged in hot cross buns, cheese sandwiches and beer. A couple of thousand calories over my limit. I am off work for two weeks so I have no chance to do my usual 20 mile cycle ride. Just wondered if anyone else has had these kind of days ? My thoughts have turned to fasting today to see if it will turn things round.

My advice is just keep it together. Just carry on as you were before. This really is a marathon and not a sprint. So what if you blew out, it really is irrelevant. What is important is that you keep going and to do that you will have more chance if you keep eating sensibly.. Good luck
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a really bad day for me. Somehow I over indulged in hot cross buns, cheese sandwiches and beer. A couple of thousand calories over my limit. I am off work for two weeks so I have no chance to do my usual 20 mile cycle ride. Just wondered if anyone else has had these kind of days ? My thoughts have turned to fasting today to see if it will turn things round.
    I assume you have a device that can access the Internet since you posted on here. Go to youtube.com, search for aerobics, body weight exercise, etc., there are tons and tons of videos you can do on there. Heck, just get up and dance, move around for a while, it is easy to exercise, just do it.

• gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My problem is I don't do exercise unless it has a purpose. I used to frequent gymns but they seemed totally pointless, a waste of money and hard work. Instead I cycled to work which saved me money, gave me freedom and all the exercise. Also I took on a green gymn, aka an allotment. Loads of exercise and you come away with tomatoes. :-) During this current holiday I have taken my daughter to the park, gone horseriding with her and, yes, found myself dancing around the kitchen, much to the amusement of my daughter.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Well then you probably are okay with your weight then, no?
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    I want to be better at tennis but I don't want to practice, it is to diff I....
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Difficult...
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

No, it's not. Good greif. Every state is different, but in most states is it illegal to leave a 10 year old alone for an hour or two during the day. Just make sure you have a way to communicate (or someone they can call) and talk to them about what to do if certain things happen. There's a chart in this article for the legal guidelines by state.

http://lifehacker.com/the-age-kids-have-to-be-before-you-can-legally-leave-th-1652321850
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Is then any good reason to be overweight ?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My problem is I don't do exercise unless it has a purpose. I used to frequent gymns but they seemed totally pointless, a waste of money and hard work. Instead I cycled to work which saved me money, gave me freedom and all the exercise. Also I took on a green gymn, aka an allotment. Loads of exercise and you come away with tomatoes. :-) During this current holiday I have taken my daughter to the park, gone horseriding with her and, yes, found myself dancing around the kitchen, much to the amusement of my daughter.

Your current purpose for exercise is to help create a calorie deficit? No?