Thoughts on the 5:2 Fast diet

Replies

• FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211

Perhaps it was too much combined with getting up at 4am, high levels of exercise, working 10-17 hours a day etc. If you have low body fat you may not be able to pull enough calories from storage.

I have never gotten up at 4am to exercise. I stated that I knew people who have... And I was, in fact, out of work for 50% of the time I was on the 5:2. The other 50% I was only working 8 hour days 3 days a week.

10 - 17 hour days is a new thing for me.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    it's a great way for some people to justify binge eating

and a great way for a lot of people to lose a pound a week

So is eating the 7:0 diet, where you show moderation and self control

thanks for coming to the rescue captain obvious!

if it's so obvious, why not do it then?

man, this is a thread about IF. people don't need to hear how much you think it sucks.

I lost 28lb doing "7:0" and gave 18/6 a go and it worked to jumpstart the loss again.

I'm sorry you are having a bad day man.

I'm having a great day, eating like a normal human being

your really good at being a jerk.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    It seems that, somehow, I've ruffled a few feathers. I'm sorry if I've offended anybody by sharing my personal experiences, and opinions, as everyone else here was doing...

Can't think how...
    Please don't give me that. I WORK with kids, and I work 10.5 - 17 hour days.

If you're looking for excuses chances are you'll find them. There are people on here, people in my friends list, who get up at FOUR AM in order to fit a workout in before they go off to the daily grind or before their little darlings wake up.

If you're serious about it you'll find a way.

Obviously your current way of eating leaves you irritable and prone to attacking people. Save us the caps lock.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    I'm having a great day, eating like a normal human being

Could your obvious antagonism towards fasting possibly be as a result of you having an eating disorder? The concept of someone deliberately not eating for a short period of time is hitting your psychological Achilles Heel about your own period of starvation last year perhaps? Because I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but you're coming across awfully confrontational and that's generally a sign that someone's out of their comfort zone :smile:
  • FarAway02
    It seems that, somehow, I've ruffled a few feathers. I'm sorry if I've offended anybody by sharing my personal experiences, and opinions, as everyone else here was doing...

Can't think how...
    Please don't give me that. I WORK with kids, and I work 10.5 - 17 hour days.

If you're looking for excuses chances are you'll find them. There are people on here, people in my friends list, who get up at FOUR AM in order to fit a workout in before they go off to the daily grind or before their little darlings wake up.

If you're serious about it you'll find a way.

Obviously your current way of eating leaves you irritable and prone to attacking people. Save us the caps lock.

Okay... if you want to play that game then clearly your 'way of eating' leaves you paranoid, sarky and snappy. Eye roll.

Forgive me, but I am not going to adjust my use of caps lock for your personal benefit. When MFP introduces bolding I will happily use that instead...but for the mean time if you want to get emphasis across caps lock is the best way to do so. If emphasis offends you....well...maybe your 'way of eating' could be causing that problem for you too. Since my healthy diet is causing me to run around WILD (oops, caps!!) posting my OPINION (oops, caps again!) in a post where OPINIONS were ASKED for (double caps, baddabingggg). Ooo, nawty. How very dare I post my opinions in a thread where they personal experience and opinions were requested.

I'm sorry that you couldn't find an explanation as to why the 5:2 diet didn't work for my body that backed up your personal opinion. But that is no reason to get your knickers in a twist.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    *** grabs a bowl of popcorn ***

Go on...
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    I have to agree with Far's right to express her opinion, even if my opinion differs from hers. I too have given an opinion that has differed from the consensus...and oh boy..people do NOT (note the caps!) like it. But this is an open forum with a form of weightlossbeing debated...in my humble opinion...she is entitled to express her opinion...in which ever way she wants to!
  • FarAway02
    *** grabs a bowl of popcorn ***

Go on...

Alas, I'm done. I've expressed my thoughts and opinions as fully as I am able to... and as it is now going round in circles with certain people (ahem) fighting their big battles from behind a computer screen I do believe it's time for me to take a step back!

I hope the original poster considers all the opinions in the post and decides on the best route of action for himself. Personally I hope he decides against the 5:2 for I believe there are better ways of achieving results (both health wise & weightloss wise), but I wish him luck in whatever he chooses.

Thank you to those who have been happy for me to express my differing opinion and who have been able to hear it without feeling 'attacked' :)
  • MsPudding
    Forgive me, but I am not going to adjust my use of caps lock for your personal benefit. When MFP introduces bolding I will happily use that instead...but for the mean time if you want to get emphasis across caps lock is the best way to do so.

Personally I don't care about all-caps, but were you aware that MFP already does support bold? It supports basic message board code. Just put a b in square brackets in front of what you want to bold and a /b in square brackets after what you want to be in bold.

I'm sorry that you couldn't find an explanation as to why the 5:2 diet didn't work for my body that backed up your personal opinion. But that is no reason to get your knickers in a twist.

Not every eating plan works for everyone and everyone has their preferences. However your first post did rather come across like you were dismissing it full-stop, across the board, as useless and unhealthy and that's obviously going to be controversial isn't it.
  • MsPudding
    she is entitled to express her opinion...in which ever way she wants to!

She totally is, yes. And also everyone should give her some leeway on that as according to her profile she's only 18 so can't really be expected to remain dispassionate with all those teenage hormones racing around.
  • FarAway02
    she is entitled to express her opinion...in which ever way she wants to!

She totally is, yes. And also everyone should give her some leeway on that as according to her profile she's only 18 so can't really be expected to remain dispassionate with all those teenage hormones racing around.

My bad. I forgot that people who are 18 can't have opinions or behave correctly. I mean, I can have children, get married, smoke, drink, go to work, vote and pay taxes....but god forbid I voice my opinion. And if, low and behold, I do....you had better all watch out I don't singe you with my diabolical teenage hormones.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Okay, completely off-topic. But FarAway, has anyone ever told you that you look like Mila Kunis?
  • FarAway02
    Okay, completely off-topic. But FarAway, has anyone ever told you that you look like Mila Kunis?

LOL! No, definitely not! I fear you wouldn't say that if you saw a selection of photos of me as opposed to just this one...but I'll take the compliment! (thank you :p )
  • Missyb322
    Missyb322 Posts: 145 Member
    I belive that if everyone lost weight in exactly the same manner, there would be no need for thousands of different diets. I personally like the 5:2 diet. It has helped me lose weight but also seems to give me more energy. So, find something that works for you...and stick to it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    It's a convenient way to establish a caloric deficit equivalent to the energy yield of 1lb of fat over 2 day, leaving the other 5 days to eat at maintenance levels.

That leaves a lot of flexibility, especially to fit in social occasions (and exercise sessions which aren't heavily glycogen dependent) . I have an active social life so prefer it over restricting calories over the full 7 days a week.

Pretty much like anything - if it suits your lifestyle and preferences it will probably work. If it doesn't then it probably won't...
  • chatogal
    Actually I think its very important for EVERYONE to feel passionate in what you believe in....a teenager without passion is just rather sad..Faraway...you KEEP your passion!! :smile:
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    can you live like this for the rest of your life.

ask yourself that
  • chatogal

ask yourself that

yup!! actually, I think I am just reverting to a way of life I followed before I hit 40, only it didnt have a name then and wasnt called a "fad diet" we called ut "watching what we ate". My mother (aged 85 and still going strong) still follows this maxime :smile:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    I find it pretty good. I plan very carefully and find I can eat a surprising amount on fast days. I have targets for protein and fibre which are lower on fast days but which I still regard as adequate.

Usually I have 4 meals as that seems to work best for me. I'm not hungry, I walk and workout just as usual. Haven't had any negative side effects at all.

Partly I'm hoping that it will speed up the last stage of my weight loss, so for this reason I also stick to my MFP overall weekly deficit goal. I do seem to be losing more quickly, even though the ovrall deficit is the same. It means that I have two very low fat days a week, which I think is good as my general fat consumption is rather higher than I'd like and it's something I'm working on.

It's unclear still what the long term health benefits may or may not be, but for me I think it's worth a punt.

The only difficulty I find sometimes is selecting the fast days, but if I can't fast one week or can only one day for some reason, then I just still stick to my overall deficit and don't worry about it.

Can't see why people think it's unnatural or whatever - it seems to me given our ancestry that we are probably quite well adapted to fluctuating food intake.

Clearly it's not going to be the right choice for everyone, but it's nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be, and if it suits you and your lifestyle, then why not?

OP - good luck
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member

ask yourself that

I understand that in order to maintain you move to one fast a week which I think should be relatively do-able.

Certainly, I can see that would be more attractive to some people than say committing to multiple exercise sessions per week, or tracking calories over the long term, or committing to a form of eating that doesn't really fit their preferences in order to regulate weight.

Personally, I am finding surprisingly easy (I originally started doing it as an act of solidarity for my wife and then an experiment to see what would happen, either good or bad rather than weight loss per se.)