Thoughts on the 5:2 Fast diet

Options

Replies

• MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My bad. I forgot that people who are 18 can't have opinions or behave correctly. I mean, I can have children, get married, smoke, drink, go to work, vote and pay taxes....but god forbid I voice my opinion. And if, low and behold, I do....you had better all watch out I don't singe you with my diabolical teenage hormones.
    I absolutely supported you expressing your views, I simply stated that you're not likely to do so in a dispassionate way given your age. You're simply cementing that view with the above as it's coming across a little bit 'ruffled'.

yup!! actually, I think I am just reverting to a way of life I followed before I hit 40, only it didnt have a name then and wasnt called a "fad diet" we called ut "watching what we ate". My mother (aged 85 and still going strong) still follows this maxime

My Grandmother also followed the 'watch what you eat' maxim and she's now 92 and physically as fit as a fiddle.....unfortunately she's also raving with Alzheimer's and thinks the quality of her lunches are just amazing considering the kitchen was bombed yesterday and rations are so poor.

I don't do any type of fasting at the moment but what I would say is that if the human studies get the results that the animals ones have got vis-a-vis Alzheimer's prevention then I'm all for it. As it is, IF is absolutely not unsafe and if it suits people why not go for it? I'm currently thinking about 16:8 as I've never been much of a breakfast person.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    Whilst I don't necessarily believe that it's damaging I just think... why? I did trial it...then I remembered that I can lose the same amount of weight by eating healthy and exercising. Why would I eat 500 calories a day and feel irritable, tired, unable to focus properly and do my job etc etc when I can eat 1600 calories, have epic workouts, swims and runs, sleep well, wake up feeling motivated and fresh??

The key word in 5:2 is DIET. If you're considering something a 'diet' you will forever yoyo. You need to find a LIFESTYLE. Something you can sustain for the rest of your life. That's when you'll really keep the weight off and feel AWESOME about yourself.

I wouldn't recommend diets full stop...but I definitely wouldn't recommended feeling as irritable and naff as the 5:2 so often makes people feel.

^^^^^Yep it's just another diet, fasting occasionally is very good for you, but twice a week for life is simply another calorie restriction diet. Seriously why would you want to live your life like that? I would suggest its better to exercise everyday and eat organic real food, heavy on veg salad and fruit berries nuts, stop looking for magical solutions, live a healthy lifestyle and be patient, it took years to put on weight and will take years to get it off. But hey you will do what you will! just dont follow every latest fad and end up with a f***ed metabolism
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Whilst I don't necessarily believe that it's damaging I just think... why? I did trial it...then I remembered that I can lose the same amount of weight by eating healthy and exercising. Why would I eat 500 calories a day and feel irritable, tired, unable to focus properly and do my job etc etc when I can eat 1600 calories, have epic workouts, swims and runs, sleep well, wake up feeling motivated and fresh??

The key word in 5:2 is DIET. If you're considering something a 'diet' you will forever yoyo. You need to find a LIFESTYLE. Something you can sustain for the rest of your life. That's when you'll really keep the weight off and feel AWESOME about yourself.

I wouldn't recommend diets full stop...but I definitely wouldn't recommended feeling as irritable and naff as the 5:2 so often makes people feel.

^^^^^Yep it's just another diet, fasting occasionally is very good for you, but twice a week for life is simply another calorie restriction diet. Seriously why would you want to live your life like that? I would suggest its better to exercise everyday and eat organic real food, heavy on veg salad and fruit berries nuts, stop looking for magical solutions, live a healthy lifestyle and be patient, it took years to put on weight and will take years to get it off. But hey you will do what you will! just dont follow every latest fad and end up with a f***ed metabolism
    [/quote

I believe it takes 3 days of very low calorie eating to f up your metabolism so this diet should be fine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Sorry but that is miles off. I'm maintaining so my calories over the course of a week are not restricted - I just don't eat the same number of calories every day.
    You do realise that fasting in its various forms is done by tens of millions of people and has been done for thousands of years?
    In comparison eating a perfectly macro/micro nutrient balanced diet with an almost limitless choice of fruits & vegetables all year round is a relatively recent development (due to regfridgeration and fast transport).

Really don't see why you consider it a fad - no "special" foods, no banned foods. I certainly don't see it as a way to binge or make less healthy food choices.

By the way everyone has a diet. 5:2 is the lifestyle I've choosen and I foresee doing it for a very long time.
    Even if you don't want to try it yourself you would find it interesting to read up on the benefits of fasting.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's not just about distributing your calories, though. If your read the book(s), watch the documentary that sparked this all off, it came about as means of harnessing the benefits of fasting - weight loss is just a side effect.

In short, going without food forces your body into repairing its existing cells, rather than making new ones. This in turn is helpful in lowering cholesterol, amongst other benefits.

Most of us following it don't call it a diet, it's a way of eating. And yes I can see myself doing this for the rest of my life. 2days low eating a week with 5 higher days is surely good for your metabolism?

It doesn't suit everyone, as Far has so eloquently pointed out, but you wont know if it's for you or not unless you try it. I'd say for at least a month.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Wowzers, there was certainly less drama when it was simply called intermittent fasting, before Dr Mosely released his book.

It certainly is annoying when people have to put down something that didn't work for them. Guess what, eating every 3 hours doesn't work for me but I fully accept that it works for other people. Holy crap, 5:2 doesn't work for me but 18:4 DOES.

Please everyone, experiment, shop around, and go and do what works for you...
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options

I wouldn't recommend diets full stop...but I definitely wouldn't recommended feeling as irritable and naff as the 5:2 so often makes:smile: people feel.

Sorry....just have to interject here. This is EXACTLY what I do, I enjoy good, natural, wholesome food, heavy on yummy veggies, lovely protein a bit lower on the carbs but they arnt ruled out and I carry on with my exercise regime (my dog still needs walking). Have absolutely no intention of EVER walking into a gym again...each to their own....and I feel happy, healthy, my skin is glowing with health, much less stressed, feeling happier at work...gosh the benefits for me just go on...but noone forces anyone to follow this lifestyle, just like noone will be able to force me into a gym
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm having a great day, eating like a normal human being

Could your obvious antagonism towards fasting possibly be as a result of you having an eating disorder? The concept of someone deliberately not eating for a short period of time is hitting your psychological Achilles Heel about your own period of starvation last year perhaps? Because I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but you're coming across awfully confrontational and that's generally a sign that someone's out of their comfort zone :smile:

And barely eating 2 days a week isn't a disorder at all
  • alwayskungfu
    Options

Sorry but that is miles off. I'm maintaining so my calories over the course of a week are not restricted - I just don't eat the same number of calories every day.
    You do realise that fasting in its various forms is done by tens of millions of people and has been done for thousands of years?
    In comparison eating a perfectly macro/micro nutrient balanced diet with an almost limitless choice of fruits & vegetables all year round is a relatively recent development (due to regfridgeration and fast transport).

Really don't see why you consider it a fad - no "special" foods, no banned foods. I certainly don't see it as a way to binge or make less healthy food choices.

By the way everyone has a diet. 5:2 is the lifestyle I've choosen and I foresee doing it for a very long time.
    Even if you don't want to try it yourself you would find it interesting to read up on the benefits of fasting.

Seriously! do people not read before they reply, in the first and 2nd line I write 'fasting occasionally is very good for you, and indeed proper fasting is. So he wades in with 'You do realise that fasting in its various forms is done by tens of millions of people and has been done for thousands of years? Yes I do, proper 24 or 36 hr fasting is good for you Mfp but 5:2 TWICE A WEEK FOR LIFE IS JUST ANOTHER CALORIE RESTRICTION DIET if something says BUY THE BOOK or FOLLOW the plan its a diet!
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! I haven't personally tried one of these diets, but I have done similar. Due to some personal issues, I was pretty d*mn depressed a few weeks ago...could BARELY eat! (Keep in mind, this was NOT by choice!) However, I did lose about 10 lbs in one week. I was pretty extreme though, probably took in less than 1,000 cals a day...well I know I did. I was eating a couple bites of food per meal and nothing in between.

BTW, I love it here, and 'starving' is not my typical form of weight loss...I've been trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Anyone can feel free to add me! :-)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I did 18/6 lean gains for about 8 months..I liked it and it helped me lean out ...the only problem was it really did not fit well into my lifestyle with work ..I felt like I was cooking/eating all evening...so I went back to just eating regularly during the day ...

if you can fit it into your lifestyle IF/lean gains is a great regimen...
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have been on 5:2 since April 2013. I love it. Would not change it for anything.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I did 18/6 lean gains for about 8 months..I liked it and it helped me lean out ...the only problem was it really did not fit well into my lifestyle with work ..I felt like I was cooking/eating all evening...so I went back to just eating regularly during the day ...

yah, 18/6 can be hard to fit into schedules thats for sure. 8 months? dude you are a champ. I think another month and ill drop back to 16/8, and then a month after that maybe maintenance and 14/10. 14/10 is pretty much a normal window.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Has anyone had trouble sleeping while doing the fasting?

I had trouble sleeping, focusing (and therefore I was pretty dangerous on the roads when driving), doing my job properly, working out, walking for prolonged periods of time (as someone who can easily walk for 3+ hours I found that pretty scary), I got headaches, exhaustion, stitches/general cramps... etc. Yay!

I have been doing 5:2 since the beginning of December. I have no trouble sleeping. No lack of focus. No trouble doing a full hour workout (Bob Harper DVD). I cycle to work and actually seem to go faster. No headaches or cramps - just the occasional hunger pang which passes. I works for some but not all! It kick started my weight loss when I'd stalled and now I'm at maintenance. For me it works and I love it!

I did not have any of those problems either..i actually found that I had more energy when training fasted.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    fasting as a lifestyle change? c'mon. that's all i gotta say.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    can you live like this for the rest of your life.

ask yourself that

I wouldn't do 18/6 forever, but I'm pretty sure I could do 14/10 sustainably. I don't really make plans that far ahead in life to say till I die, other than breathing, trying to live a healthy life and hopefully not aging in a freakish, turkey neck melted face kind of way.
  • ndj1979
    Options

[/quote

I believe it takes 3 days of very low calorie eating to f up your metabolism so this diet should be fine.

actually it takes three days of eating NOTHING go to into true starvation mode and even at three day point affect is minimal..

As for iF/lean gains being a "fad" that is total BS as fasting has been around for centuries. It not a "diet" because there are no specific foods, it is just a different way of eating/lifestyle change...
  • ndj1979
    Options

yah, 18/6 can be hard to fit into schedules thats for sure. 8 months? dude you are a champ. I think another month and ill drop back to 16/8, and then a month after that maybe maintenance and 14/10. 14/10 is pretty much a normal window.

well I liked it and did not want to go back but at the end of the day I had to ..it helped me lean out..dropped about 1% body fat...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    fasting as a lifestyle change? c'mon. that's all i gotta say.

I am curious why it would not be....?
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    These forums a a faf! the quotes people are taking are getting so out of context and twisted. Much many peoples like diets. :laugh: