I ate Pop Tarts for 47 days straight and look what happened

Options
missyjane824
missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
As the title states I ate Pop Tarts, 93 in total, over a 47 day span. When I began I wasn’t sure how long it would go for. Explanation of how I decided will be divulged in time. Included first is some proof that there were no ill side effects from this challenge. One pic taken a few days before the start and the other taken this morning.

30lub9cnbnqn.jpeg

fg59z9ccimlu.jpeg

The concept is nothing new. You’ve seen many a post about ice cream cleanses and what not. This is just another example of eating the right number of calories for your goals and having some fun doing it.

Why 47 days? Good question. My (extensive) research has shown this to be the optimal number of days to achieve maximum flavor potential. Actually, I ran out of Pop Tarts. While I restock my inventory allow me to provide some details.

What follows is my adventure with these oh so tasty toaster pastries. This wasn’t just toast ‘em and eat ‘em. Oh no, this was a journey to flavor town. You see, Pop Tarts are a great canvas for all kinds of spreadables and smashables (these are so words). I wanted to get some more savory in there but the overall sweetness of Pop Tarts was a bit difficult to work with. I did manage to sneak in a couple surprises.

The collage below has each of the day’s concoctions. What made this extra fun was the idea to not repeat any combinations. This resulted in an assortment of new flavors. I may need to write Kellogg’s about some flavor ideas. BTW, this was way harder than the effort put forth to eat the Pop Tarts. Hopefully the font isn't too small.

82jlkh3wge1q.jpg

Now for a few reviews. As this is getting lengthy I will spare you a complete write up on each of them. For anyone interested in details on any that didn’t make the list I will be happy to share, just ask.

Best Unmodified (based on flavor and likeness to said flavor)

Peanut Butter – Like a warm peanut butter cookie filled with peanut butter.

PB&J - solid PB&J flavor. Plus for the strawberry flavored sprinkles.

Cinnamon Roll – Great cinnamon roll flavor. The icing really completed this one.

Best modified (based on originality and flavor)

Cinnamon Roll French toast - what you see in the picture is with one pop tart. I of course had to eat both. This was glorious. No syrup even.

Peanut butter with peanut butter – Peanut butter on peanut butter with peanut butter inside. The End.

Peanut Butter with peanut butter and dark chocolate cream cheese – So rich and delicious. The peanut butter really cut down the sweetness of the cream cheese.

Any with bacon

Honorable mention

Unfrosted strawberry with dark chocolate cream cheese – Great combo

Unfrosted strawberry with peanut butter – A nice ‘homemade’ PB&J. This was better than their PB&J.

Confetti Cupcake – The filling reminded me of cake batter or custard. Anyone a fan of McDonald’s custard pies (aka holiday pie) should try these. I am a big fan so it made the honorable mention list. It in no way reminded me of a cupcake though, so points were lost.

Worst

Pumpkin Pie – I’m pretty particular about my pumpkin pie flavor and this was just all wrong.

Red Velvet - nothing spectacular. The frosting on the inside was nice but probably would have been better without the frosting on the outside.

Chocomallow Sundae – Valiant effort. It in no way reminded me of any kind of sundae no matter what fancy made up word is in front of it.

Don’t even go there

Strawberry Oatmeal with apple butter – absolutely terrible. I thought the strawberry and apple would pair well together but I was wrong. So wrong.

Confetti Cupcake with dark chocolate cream cheese and almond meal – Way too sweet and didn’t even notice the almond meal.

The following list has been compiled for the bulkers (700+ calories)

Frosted Chocolate Chip with peanut butter and bacon – This could be Kellogg’s take on a protein Pop Tart. ~20 grams of protein. I will eat this again.

Unfrosted strawberry with peanut butter and bacon - after a bit of research I found out Elvis was a big fan of a sandwich called Fool’s Gold. This is the Pop Tart equivalent.

Cinnamon Roll French toast - nothing more to say than what has already been said.

Peanut Butter bacon cheeseburger – Yeah, I made a burger with Pop Tarts. I might have liked this more if I would have ditched the cheese and added peanut butter. At some point I will try it.

Confetti Cupcake ice cream sammich with bacon– Used Ben and Jerry’s peanut butter half baked. Bacon wasn’t necessary but it was already cooked so why not?

A few side notes
Overall, I liked the unfrosted ones the best. So versatile - I never got overwhelmed with flavors when adding things. Peanut butter was by far my favorite add on. Although any peanut butter will probably do, I used Smucker’s Natural Creamy. I used sugar free apple butter as well. It complimented the Cinnamon Roll very well. I couldn’t find anything else it worked with though. Maybe this indicates Cinnamon Roll is just that good of a flavor. If you are contemplating putting marshmallows on your Pop Tarts a good number is 2. 3 is ok but 4, well 4, you’d just be crazy to go there. I tried it and I’m still recovering. I’m glad I could do the research for you on this one. The dark chocolate cream cheese made things too sweet if put on any that were frosted. My two favorite Pop Tarts to work with were Peanut Butter and Unfrosted Strawberry. Got lots of good flavors out of them. Lastly, bacon did make everything better.

Overall this was really fun. I got to be a bit creative (or a lot) and see if I could hold myself to eating that many Pop Tarts in a relatively short(ish) timeframe. There will probably be a round two at some point but would be quite the challenge to come up with a brand new list of flavors so not sure how I will do it. Maybe just put bacon on all of them?

Stay tuned for future topics.

Replies

• Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    *drools on keys
    Wow!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Oh nom nom nom! *reminds self to go pick up pop tarts*
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Why aren't shops open at 3am?!?!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I love you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The cheese burger scared me a little, but after reading the actual review, I'm kind of intrigued...
  • missyjane824
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You should try a toasted Chocolate chip cookie dough Pop Tart with Ben & Jerry's Half Baked in between. Soooo good.

I need to start compiling a list for round two. That will so be making the list! I didn't get near enough ice cream into the mix this round.

• missyjane824
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    The cheese burger scared me a little, but after reading the actual review, I'm kind of intrigued...

Yeah, it really worked. I went with the concept that you see peanut butter put on burgers on some menus. If they put it on their menu it must be good.
  • missyjane824
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I love you.

I love you too, wizzy :)
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Going to have to try some of those!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    They look so yummy! Poptarts are banned for sale in supermarkets etc here in Australia because of their woeful nutritional content, apparently. I think they may be available in the little specialty American stores, which are few and far between where i live :disappointed:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    So I've always wondered this about the pop tart ice cream sandwiches. Does the ice cream ooze out the sides? One of my biggest issues with cookie ice cream sandwiches is that the cookie is usually so hard and the ice cream just squishes out. I think if I had a hankering (and the calories) for pop tarts and ice cream, I would maybe break the pop tarts up and scatter them on top of my ice cream? Anybody tried that?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    The world needs to make gluten-free poptarts :(
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    They look so yummy! Poptarts are banned for sale in supermarkets etc here in Australia because of their woeful nutritional content, apparently. I think they may be available in the little specialty American stores, which are few and far between where i live :disappointed:

Pop Tarts are back in Australia as of last year it turns out.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Insulin Resistance. Sigh. . .
  • Mafuezee
    Mafuezee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    birth cake poptarts are horrible
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Lol, Poptarts were my pre workout back in my bodybuilding comp days!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »

ooohhhh thanks! I shall go on a poptart hunt :smiley:

• irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »

I am in Australia, saw poptarts (only 2 flavours) at the local Woolworths last week.