What do you wish you had known..

Options

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    That I don't need to live on 1200 calories a day!

YYYYYAAAAAASSSSSSS! Very much this!
  • AmberLeeMichigan
    AmberLeeMichigan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That you have to be ready, or it won't work. You have to get to the point where you WANT it so badly that you are willing to put in the work. Otherwise, it will just become a cycle of stopping and starting.
  • incognitocity
    incognitocity Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    that "a year from now" comes very very quickly.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    the scale lies and its okay for your weight to fluctuate everyday
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet, it's your life. Life sucks when you don't want to do things because you're self conscious. Life's awesome when you're not. Do what you have to do to get to awesome.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. NOT! It just makes me hungry for the rest of the day. Everyone is different, but IF is the only thing that has ever worked for me. I finally found my way to lose weight comfortably, it was Jan 15, 2015. And, it was because of this forum. I think the title was Breakfast is a Myth. IDK for sure, but here's a big shout out to MFP forums. I've learned so much from all these beautiful people. Thank you, Thank you all <3
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The best advice I could have given myself would have been to "lighten up" both literally and figuratively. After several frustrating starts and stops at dieting I had and epiphany that my own negativity was keeping me from reaching my goals. Looking back I can clearly see now that I would set unrealistic goals and then feel crushed when it was impossible to meet them. I was overly critical of my progress at the beginning of my journey. If I lost weight instead of being happy I would wonder why I hadn't lost more, or If I cheated on my diet I felt like a complete failure. It took me a while to gain a better perspective on how I needed this to be a lifestyle change and not just another diet. Once I changed my attitude towards my diet and fitness expectations everything else fell into place. My beginning weight was 230 lbs after I had my son 3 years ago and I am nearly down to my goal weight of 149 lbs.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    1) Wanting to get where you WERE isn't going to help you. Wanting to be the best you NOW is. Look to the future and live in the present.

2) Stress is not okay. If a person stresses you out, kick 'em out of your life. Hate your job, find a new one. If you FEEL like you need a break, TAKE one and TELL someone, they might just be willing to ease your burden.

3) Be patient and kind to yourself.

4) READ THE FORUMS! Some of these people are loons, but most of them have been where you are, have information you can use and WANT to HELP you.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Boy! Where do I start??!! If I could go back in time, here's what I would tell former me:

- You don't want to lose weight. You want to lose FAT

AND SO MUCH MORE!!

This, I have never heard before. This changed my perspective on so much. Thank you!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    2) Stress is not okay. If a person stresses you out, kick 'em out of your life. Hate your job, find a new one. If you FEEL like you need a break, TAKE one and TELL someone, they might just be willing to ease your burden.

YES!!

Stress is deadly. I may be a cold hearted B but bring me buckets of drama and I'm cutting you out of my life so fast it'll make your head spin.

Happiness is a choice. Why some people choose to be miserable is beyond me.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    that "a year from now" comes very very quickly.

And it happens quicker and quicker every year...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting has been a huge part of my success... wish I would have started even earlier.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Hamburgers without buns are still pretty awesome.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    My body responds really well to persistent low level cardio and weight lifting. Doing those two things pretty much means I can eat what I want to without feeling hungry, as long as I am careful to stop eating when I am not hungry anymore.
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Smiley_Emi123 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have taken before pics and progress pics. I regret this very much!!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes when it comes. There is no way to fabricate what you do not have.
  • JRitaK
    JRitaK Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I wish I had realized just HOW close I was to my goal when I quit the first time. At that time I was 20lbs less than I am now. I was looking pretty good but I still felt big. I didn't see the changes as much as others did. I wish I had stuck to my journey and continued on to goal.

This time around I am going to reach my goal but I am not stressing over time. I am allowing it to happen at its natural pace and learning to appreciate my accomplishments. To really look at myself and see, yes, I am making this happen, this is working.

If it takes me a year to get to final goal (losing 40 more lbs) than so be it. However, I would be very happy to get back down to my lowest weight to date (165lbs at 5'6" my profile picture is what I looked like at that time). I'm 184lbs now.
  • meganelisabeth31
    meganelisabeth31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wish I would've known that I could lose just as much weight with the foods I love as long as they are consumed in the correct portions when I first started. Eating slowly and having the right portions gives me the same fullness as healthy foods but also gives me the satisfaction so I don't have nearly as many cravings. I'm just glad I realized this 3 months in.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    People tell you what they want you to hear or see. Don't beat yourself up or compare yourself to others. It's a slippery slope. Use others to motivate you, but don't make your life about being like theirs.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    You don't need your family's support. You can do this on your own.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!