What do you wish you had known..

Options

Replies

• Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise a bad diet.....maybe at first but eventually it will catch up with you.
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ... Lastly, eat back your exercise calories and you'll pay the price.

Oh, man. So much this. When I eat my exercise cals back I gain instantly.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hamburgers without buns are still pretty awesome.

Accurate.

But I eat hamburgers for the buns and the way they taste with the meat patty, not the other way around.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    1. Carbs aren't the enemy. Your muscle gains are really going to suffer without them.
    2. Jumping from one workout routine to another (fitness ADD) isn't going to help. Pick one, and just stick with it. Focus on making it YOUR routine, and concern yourself with the fundamentals, such as progressive overload, good form, and really making the most of EVERY workout.
    3. Losing 100lbs in a year and a bit is going to result in a lot of money wastefully spent on nice clothes that you only get to wear for 1-2 months. Buy your "transitional" clothes at Walmart, 'cause you (hopefully) ain't keeping them for long.
    4. Sometimes, the pursuit to improve yourself comes at a trade-off with other things. It's not all a bed of roses. You'll lose friends along the way because your interests have changed, and that'll be okay - in time, you'll come to grips with it. It'll turn out that they didn't have much interest in being your friend beyond the unhealthy interests that you had before (mostly going from being a near-barfly to having less than one drink a month).
    5. Don't overthink things. Those miserable 2-3 months of near-neurotic nutrient/macro-timing, anabolic window-adhering, late-night carb-depriving resulted in a negligible difference in your weight loss and fitness transformation. Just a lot of unneeded misery.
    6. You'll start this journey for what were, in hindsight, all the wrong reasons - but they'll change along the way. You started as a relatively insecure 300-pound male with an aesthetic-driven attitude; this will change into a centred and balanced 190-pound male who is in it more for self-improvement, and most importantly, self-edification. Embrace it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    1. you dont have to cut out anything- no such thing as good or bad food
    2. weight watchers / slimming world is not necessary
    3. simple but effective exercises can be done at home
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    That the right way to lose weight is to eat less, not next to nothing (then crash and burn and consume every calorie in sight).
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I figured this one out pretty quickly into my weight loss, but making excuses/reasons for one's weight problem does not preserve one's moral character in the slightest, just own that you put on weight because food is good and you ate more of it than you should have. Everything will go a lot more smoothly the minute you stop wasting your time on trying to save face.
  • scrappermom96
    scrappermom96 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just because it says low fat low sugar....doesn't mean it is good for you! Some of those added ingredients you are putting into your body are not helping you!!
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have realized how unhealthy my relationship with food was, and I was eating for every emotion. I actually don't like feeling full anymore. I could eat enough food for 2 or three days in one meal, I wish I would have known what the right portions were for me, it would have opened my eyes a lot sooner. I wish I would have known that my, "I've gained 10 pounds, it's just 10 pounds," mentality leads to its just 10 more, and just 10 more.
  • jbsterks
    jbsterks Posts: 8
    Options
    Just because I weigh a certain number doesn't mean I'll look the way I want to.

Strength goals are more motivating than number goals.

muscle looks better than flab- so strength train. Even if it means you'll bulk up. MUSCLE LOOKS BETTER.

Running is not impossible.

The more active I am, the better I feel, the more I can accomplish.

COMPRESSION WORKOUT CLOTHING (excess skin stays in place).

Who cares if someone is staring at you while you work. They aren't fighting your battle. If you feel like someone is judging you, think of how little self esteem he/she must have if he/she has to put someone else down to feel better.

Celebrate achievements (just not with crappy food).

• lottewiegeraad
    lottewiegeraad Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    1) someone elses journey isn't yours, so stop comparing
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Good one.
  • LBoggie77
    LBoggie77 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Lift weights!
    Eat clean
    Buy the fancy running shoes, your shins will thank you :)
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Boy! Where do I start??!! If I could go back in time, here's what I would tell former me:

- You don't want to lose weight. You want to lose FAT

AND SO MUCH MORE!!

This, I have never heard before. This changed my perspective on so much. Thank you!

You're welcome. Hope this helps!
  • Otherchickenlady
    Otherchickenlady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Diets and workout plans are not one-size-fits-all, and there's more than one way to get to a fit, healthy weight. I have a friend who has had incredible success eating mostly raw, with lots of smoothies and salads. I would love to eat that way, but my body needs more protein and fat to be satisfied. Starting the day with a calorie-dense breakfast helps me ward off cravings and unhealthy eating the rest of the day. A previous poster, however, found that she does best when skipping breakfast.
    You have to figure out what works for YOU.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

Yes. My mantra during this whole weight loss journey has been 'comparison is the thief of joy'.
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ... Lastly, eat back your exercise calories OR you'll pay the price.

Oh, man. So much this. When I eat my exercise cals back I gain instantly.

Whoops. I actually meant to post "or" instead of "and". You should at least eat back some of your exercise calories. Of course, since a lot of times calculating calories burned can be a crap shoot, it may not be beneficial to eat all of your exercise calories back. I do actually eat most of mine. When I wasn't, I found my body to be very angry with me.

Ahhh...okay. Gotcha. See, I'm the opposite. When I eat mine back I start gaining. :neutral:
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    How much counting calories works...and how fast the weight drops when I keep to my calorie goals. How empowering it is to see almost daily progress. That exercise is a great bonus for fitness but I don't NEED to do it in order to loose weight. I do it because I like it.
  • lholmes1985
    lholmes1985 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That I'm worth it. It won't be easy, but each day I make progress is a step towards a happy future
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!