What do you do realize you've totally blown it early on in the day?

Options
On Easter morning, I'm pretty sure I went over my daily calories by like noon. lol. I felt so GROSS, but decided to at Easter dinner anyway knowing my intake would probably end up being WAY over...like double. Question: What do you guys do when you totally blow it early on in the day? Do you tone it down and eat better throughout the day, knowing you've gone WAY over and you'll start again tomorrow, or, if you catch yourself, do you just pick at celery the rest of the day? lol...

Replies

• MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    *eat...not *at
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I try to reign in the mindless holiday eating for the rest of the day, and grab a walk before I go to bed if I can. Otherwise, log it, go to bed, and tomorrow's a new day.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I just try to get back on track as quickly as possible.

If I totally gorged myself, I'd probably eat a lot less later in the day - no point in forcing yourself to eat dinner when you're already stuffed.

If I was hungry at dinnertime, I'd just try to keep it reasonable or a little lighter than normal and move on with my life.

• ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The truth? Once I've ruined a day, I just eat like a slob for the rest of the day. Easter was a disaster, but a pound gained can be lost, and holidays are for celebrating with family, food, and (in my case) a cocktail or 3.

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much and just be careful for the next few days.
    It'll all even out anyway (if it's only just that one blip during the week).
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »
    The truth? Once I've ruined a day, I just eat like a slob for the rest of the day. Easter was a disaster, but a pound gained can be lost, and holidays are for celebrating with family, food, and (in my case) a cocktail or 3.

Me too, once ruined i just go for it big time. Sometimes 7-8k calories for the day. Then do damage control the next 6 days...
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Usually if I blow it before noon, there is no recovery. And sadly the majority of my days the last couple months I have blown it, or barely managed to stay at maintenance level. But today was awesome!! My coffee maker decided to torture me this morning, by not working. SO the only possible soultion was packing up the kids still in their jammies and heading to the Starbucks drive threw for a venti cappucino, and you can't have a that with out a pastry, and the oldest didn't want nuts in her banana bread, so I HAD to eat that too. All told it was nearly 1000 calories, my daily goal is only 1400, and I still needed two meals and at least one snack. So I looked at myself in the mirror with a heaping dose of self loathing, changed into my workout clothes and busted out 5 miles with Leslie Sansone. I'm really proud of myself for not throwing in the towel again, and getting my butt in gear. Bonus, my daughter and her friend saw me exercising, and joined in for a few minutes, I was happy to show them that exercise is a fun thing to do, not just a class at school
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I frequently *do* blow all my calories at lunch - especially if I didn't work out in the morning. When that happens, I go DO my workout, if I want to eat dinner, and generally speaking, if I eat just after working out, I don't end up eating as much to feel full, because I've just drunk about a liter of water. So I can totally get by on a 300 calorie salad or a plate of scrambled eggs or something.

It's not the end of the world, and on the days that are like that, I usually end up being just fine (Not hungry and not even to maintenance calories), as long as I don't let everything slide.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    Usually if I blow it before noon, there is no recovery. And sadly the majority of my days the last couple months I have blown it, or barely managed to stay at maintenance level. But today was awesome!! My coffee maker decided to torture me this morning, by not working. SO the only possible soultion was packing up the kids still in their jammies and heading to the Starbucks drive threw for a venti cappucino, and you can't have a that with out a pastry, and the oldest didn't want nuts in her banana bread, so I HAD to eat that too. All told it was nearly 1000 calories, my daily goal is only 1400, and I still needed two meals and at least one snack. So I looked at myself in the mirror with a heaping dose of self loathing, changed into my workout clothes and busted out 5 miles with Leslie Sansone. I'm really proud of myself for not throwing in the towel again, and getting my butt in gear. Bonus, my daughter and her friend saw me exercising, and joined in for a few minutes, I was happy to show them that exercise is a fun thing to do, not just a class at school

Thats great that you didnt throw in the towel but got your but in gear to save the day. Some days i do this too, some days im just like screw it!
  • loriplatt9
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »
    Cocktails get me everytime :(
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever blown it that early in the day, but I have definitely blown it by the end of the day. Sometimes I say "screw it, just have one more _______________" and get back on the horse tomorrow.... and sometimes I say "Whoa, there Nellie.....you need to rein this in!" and then I go to bed. LOL. Depends on my mood, and what the food/drinks in question actually are, and if they are worth it to me.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the day. Holidays I don't usually log at all because they are all about food and family and one day isn't going to derail my efforts on every other day. As another poster said "a pound gained can be lost." I'm not doing this with an end goal in mind, it's for life, so it really doesn't matter in the long run.

All of that said, if it's a normal day and a co-worker brought in donuts and I ate one... then it's someone's birthday and I have a piece of cake... I'll just have a light dinner, forgo my evening snack and move on. Or maybe go for an extra walk after dinner. Or not eat back my exercise calories the next day. It all evens out and one day isn't going to make or break anyone's diet if they don't allow it to snowball and get out of control.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Before I was properly in the mindset, blowing one meal would mean I might as well just eat everything in sight.

But now, I would probably skip breakfast and lunch for a day or two after to make up for the calories. I realise this wouldn't work for everyone as people will get hungry before dinner, but I've come to get used to it. For days when I know I'll be eating out or over and unable to log properly, I will quick log say 4000 in advance for the day, so I can adjust the rest of the week.

Some days I will only eat 400-500 cals, and some days I will eat 2000-3000. My weekly average is always between 1200-1500, which works for me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I stop eating.
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    natboosh69 wrote: »

Some days I will only eat 400-500 cals, ./quote]

i could never do that! that's my breakfast
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I did this a couple of weekends ago. I planned out the rest of my day with the calories I had left and tried to find ways to distract myself while my stomach attempted to eat itself in between meals.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    Exercise ...

Eat a larger breakfast = get out for a brisk walk or bicycle ride. Jog up and down some stairs.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I'd probably accept that I'm going to be over for the day, but that doesn't mean go crazy.

I think I would make better choices for the rest of the day to limit the mistake. But not try to reverse it by under eating like crazy.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    i just eat. then i start fresh next day
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I dont over react and keep it in perspective. I know if im doing it anyway. I will go and burn some extra off if needed or consider ramping it up over the coming week.