What do you do realize you've totally blown it early on in the day?

Options

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I never just 'happen to blow it early' unless I've planned to do so. If Ive chosen to eat a lot its either because its a special occasion where I dont plan to log or I simply wanted a big meal. My will power is very strong until about 7pm, after that anything can happen tho lol
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    don't stress, just get back on track the next day :smile:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    Options
    On Easter Sunday I went over with brunch... but that meant I wasn't hungry till evening!

Evening snack? I admit that since I had already blown the day I went back and doubled up on chocolate (ended up eating 6 squares instead of 3!)

Mind you, compared to brunch that extra 150 calories were not exactly much!

Oh well: I am continuing my week as normal!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't have the "blown it" mentality. It's not blown unless you totally give up on your weight loss for good. In cases where I find myself at my calorie limit by noon I do one or more of the following depending on the situation:
    - Exercise more.
    - Eat lighter.
    - Eat at my maintenance that day.
    - Have a "fix it" plan where I reduce my calories throughout the next week and/or exercise a few minutes more.
    - Have a quick fast day.
    - Call it a day.
    - Have a planned and controlled "weight gain" short period.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends if I'm hungry, lol. Typically if I end up eating all my calories by lunch, I'm too full to eat much of anything else for the rest of the day anyway... otherwise it's during PMS then I'll probably just end up way over because I'm too hungry.
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about holidays or about going over on occasional days. I just log everything and move on. That mentality hasn't affected my progress yet. :)
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I do one of three things.
    Either I think 'sod it', and eat as normal for the rest of the day, putting me over my calories by not a ridiculous amount.
    Or I think 'well I've blown it now' and eat like a pig for the rest of the day, putting me well over my calories.
    OR, I try to reign it back in by eating basically nothing for the rest of the day, and end up grumpy and hungry.
    My partner does NOT like option 3.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I don't get the "screw it" mentality.
    I guess I look at it like this: if I'm walking down the stairs and I stumble, I try to catch myself before I fall down the entire staircase. I don't just say "too late, I already fell so I'll just tumble the rest of the way down."
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming I've never said "Oh screw this, today I'm eating whatever the hell I please." Just that I don't see going over calories as a reason to consider the day "ruined" and I might as well go buckwild for the rest of it.

Haha, valid point, but - to be fair - falling down the stairs is not quite as fun as letting 'er rip and untrackingly munching on all the delicious food you've been avoiding/portion controlling.

But, I agree, going over calories too early shouldn't be an excuse. One call always just go lighter throughout the day, fit in an extra workout, drink comforting tea with cinnamon to help with satiety, etc. No point in going buckwild (lol) just "because" every time this happens.

It's nice reading through these answers and realizing that it's hard for everybody to ignore those triggers, but you simply have to decide to not let go. Save it for a night out with friends, pizza and beer!! Ha.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    This is a dramatic comparison (especially if you've ever had to deal with a lost or broken phone), but it helps me stay on track after a heavy meal. myqpb4fla7cl.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    This is a dramatic comparison (especially if you've ever had to deal with a lost or broken phone), but it helps me stay on track after a heavy meal. myqpb4fla7cl.jpg

What is going on here? What does this girl have to do with the quote? I haven't coffeed myself yet so maybe I'm missing something.
  • SophiaSerrao
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

What is going on here? What does this girl have to do with the quote? I haven't coffeed myself yet so maybe I'm missing something.

ahahahaha

I'm drinking ma second coffee as I type and I have no idea what that girl has to do with the broken phone quote xD
  • arditarose
    Options

ahahahaha

I'm drinking ma second coffee as I type and I have no idea what that girl has to do with the broken phone quote xD

Mmmk. I feel better.
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Holidays are different. I've either made the decision to go over, stay in deficit, or eat at maintenance for the day.

Otherwise, that does not happen to me. I pre-log, and even before I did that...no. I've always had enough calories for a good dinner.

You never ever ever ever make mistakes? Damn. That's pretty impressive :smile:
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the replies!
  • arditarose
    Options
    MelWick524 wrote: »
    Holidays are different. I've either made the decision to go over, stay in deficit, or eat at maintenance for the day.

Otherwise, that does not happen to me. I pre-log, and even before I did that...no. I've always had enough calories for a good dinner.

You never ever ever ever make mistakes? Damn. That's pretty impressive :smile:

I mean...I have days when I CHOOSE to have a 700 calorie brunch or something (that's a lot for me)...but I actually don't understand how it would be done by mistake. Because I'm tracking what I eat...with this app.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    ephiemarie wrote: »
    The truth? Once I've ruined a day, I just eat like a slob for the rest of the day. Easter was a disaster, but a pound gained can be lost, and holidays are for celebrating with family, food, and (in my case) a cocktail or 3.

Me too, once ruined i just go for it big time. Sometimes 7-8k calories for the day. Then do damage control the next 6 days...

I'm in damage control this week from
    Easter. But in my case, I've learned that if I don't give myself a day of freedom to just relax and do what I want I will start crashing and burning for much longer than 1 day.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I correct myself immediately in whatever way I have available to me. If I am in work and can't run to work out...I stop eating. ml86jfy8zego.jpg
  • SophiaSerrao
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I correct myself immediately in whatever way I have available to me. If I am in work and can't run to work out...I stop eating. ml86jfy8zego.jpg

Soup Nazi!!
  • abk1968
    abk1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I keep logging and start again the next day also do not try and " catch up " in the same way I dont have a bit extra if under eaten the day before just eat to my goal each day

I do keep logging though so can look back and learn more about my eating
  • KBurkhardt08
    KBurkhardt08 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Its a holiday...just enjoy yourself. One day wont ruin everything