What is wrong with my BODY?????

Options

Replies

• _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    mandymd83 wrote: »
    Eat more. Seriously. If you're consuming 1400 calories or fewer and working out, you're not eating enough. And for heaven's sake, eat the whole egg! The yoke has way more nutrients than the whites.

Upon further investigation I have to agree with this. The below are the caloric intakes suggested for your height and weight that "moderately exercises" and if you are really working out 7 days a week moderate is an underestimate.

You need 2,727 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
    You need 2,227 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
    You need 1,727 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week.

If you are eating less than 1400 calories each day you are eating much too little. My suggestion is to establish a healthy relationship with food.

Im scared to eat that many calories. Oh WOW

I'd love to eat that! :lol: I'm 248, work out 3x a week and have it set to 1.5 lb loss a week and I only get 1610! Girl, eat those calories. At least try it. Sometimes it benefits to switch it up!

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Eat more. Seriously. If you're consuming 1400 calories or fewer and working out, you're not eating enough. And for heaven's sake, eat the whole egg! The yoke has way more nutrients than the whites.

Upon further investigation I have to agree with this.

That's 19 kinds of wrong. It's not possible for someone OPs size to have a long term plateau on 1400 calories.

If OP is plateauing, then OP's logging is broken.

So you're saying 1400 is fine but I need to be more careful on my logging?

It might be - might not be. Depends on fitness level, goals, personality, etc. Guaranteed you'll lose weight at that level, it's just a question of how healthily.

But yeah...strong likelihood that logging needs improving.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Upon further investigation I have to agree with this. The below are the caloric intakes suggested for your height and weight that "moderately exercises" and if you are really working out 7 days a week moderate is an underestimate.

You need 2,727 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
    You need 2,227 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
    You need 1,727 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week.

If you are eating less than 1400 calories each day you are eating much too little. My suggestion is to establish a healthy relationship with food.

Im scared to eat that many calories. Oh WOW

I was off on the #'s so I fixed them. But your goal of 1400 calories a day is much to small.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Food scale sounds important I don't use one. I might have 2 glasses of wine but always add them to my count and never go over 2 unless im out on date with the hubs (which is rare)

that is your problem right there..

if you are not using a food scale you are probably underestimating calories by 25 to 50% ...so in your example of eating 1400 if you are 25% off then you could be over consuming by anywhere from 200 to 300 calories a day at a 25% error rate...

get a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything for three to four weeks and see how it goes..

I think you will be surprised as to how much you are actually consuming..

Do you eat back 100% of exercise calories? If yes, you should only be eating back half.
  • branflakes1980
    Options

That's 19 kinds of wrong. It's not possible for someone OPs size to have a long term plateau on 1400 calories.

I wasn't agreeing with a plateau I was agreeing with the fact that OP needs to eat more.

• ndj1979
    Options

Upon further investigation I have to agree with this. The below are the caloric intakes suggested for a perdon of your height and weight that "moderately exercises" and if you are really working out 7 days a week moderate is an underestimate.

You need 2,470 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
    You need 1,970Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
    You need 1,470 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week.

Edited because the previous #'s were for a male. Whoops, sorry! Still even with the updated #'s you are eating too little. 2 lb loss per week is really aggressive especially with someone 20 lbs from their goal weight.

No, OP needs to tighten up logging first through use of a food scale..

if she is not losing on an assumed intake of 1400 then how would increasing to 1970 help her lose weight?

if her logging is off and she bumps to 1970 then she will probably really be consuming 2300 ...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Food scale sounds important I don't use one. I might have 2 glasses of wine but always add them to my count and never go over 2 unless im out on date with the hubs (which is rare)

It's sounding more and more like accuracy and consistency with your food logging might be the problem. I'm betting you're eating more calories than you think you are.

Definitely buy a kitchen scale and start using it. Faithfully log what you're eating and drinking, down to gum, vitamins and little things you might currently skip, and see how many calories you're actually consuming each day. Worry less about the scale, start measuring yourself and tracking it in MFP, and begin a strength training program. I did this a year ago and I'm 10 pounds heavier than my lightest weight but still wearing the same clothes. I'd rather have less jiggle than see a smaller number on the scale.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    You should definitely eat more and agreed on the egg yolks, eatem up, yum, yum! As far as gaining, if you are lifting you should expect to see a rise, if not you’re, not lifting correctly. Do you take measurements of key areas of your body? Waist, thighs, calves, biceps, etc…. This is more important than watching the scale.
    Also, I suggest eating back a percentage of you W/O calories as your calorie burnt is a rough estimate. I aim for 60-70% usually.
    Sorry for the cliff notes but I have to get back to work. I hope this helps a little.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Upon further investigation I have to agree with this. The below are the caloric intakes suggested for a perdon of your height and weight that "moderately exercises" and if you are really working out 7 days a week moderate is an underestimate.

Edited because the previous #'s were for a male. Whoops, sorry! Still even with the updated #'s you are eating too little. 2 lb loss per week is really aggressive especially with someone 20 lbs from their goal weight.

if she is not losing on an assumed intake of 1400 then how would increasing to 1970 help her lose weight?

if her logging is off and she bumps to 1970 then she will probably really be consuming 2300 ...

I agree totally, I deleted my first comment but it stated that she needed to open her diary, and I asked her if she was weighing everything she was consuming. She most definitely has to make sure she is logging and weighing everything correctly, but she also needs to know that 1400 calories is too low for a person her size and as active as she claims to be.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I wasn't agreeing with a plateau I was agreeing with the fact that OP needs to eat more.

That's exactly the part that's wrong. OP doesn't need to eat more - if OP needed to eat more, the weight would be melting off.

• ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I agree totally, I deleted my first comment but it stated that she needed to open her diary, and I asked her if she was weighing everything she was consuming. She most definitely has to make sure she is logging and weighing everything correctly, but she also needs to know that 1400 calories is too low for a person her size and as active as she claims to be.

OK-but given that her logging is not accurate she is probably eating at maintenance level right now if she is not losing...

but yes, in grand scheme of things 1400 is probably too low..
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Actually Shadowan I have felt better these last 4 weeks then i have in a long time!! I just got on the scale today and saw a 2lbs rise and almost just wanted to crawl back in the bed with some chocolate and a pizza. The scale is what depresses me. Maybe after hearing all your awesome comments I should toss the scale add weight training and eat more healthy food

yes, you should.

I'm 6'1" and am maintaining on 2200 cals (at 169lbs).
    also eat back (all or most) of your exercise cals - but be conservative in your burns.
    measure your body and track those changes.
    don't worry as much about your body weight scale, but do get to know your food scale better.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Also- not for nothing 2 pounds isn't gain. That's standard flux.

Your weight is NOT A FIXED POINT.

it's more like a range. so think 160-165- or 145-150- whatever you want to say- but it's not a fixed point. 2 pounds is salt retention from sushi- 2 pounds is "I haven't dropped a good duece in a while"

Go to five guys- have a burger- go have a good one- and then go to the store and buy a FOOD scale- and tighten up consistently with your logging.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I always go on eating half of my exercise cals back only.

Experiment a little. Just make sure you log meticulously and you'll work out what works for you.

Stick with it!
  • branflakes1980
    edited April 2015
    Options

That's exactly the part that's wrong. OP doesn't need to eat more - if OP needed to eat more, the weight would be melting off.

You are correct, OP most likely is not eating 1400 calories a day and is most likely eating more due to not weighing and measuring everything (I should have never deleted my original post), and I should not have said "you need to eat more than 1400 calories a day" I should have said "A 1400 calorie per day goal for someone at your height and weight is too low". I need more coffee today or something. Holy crap!

• mandymd83
    mandymd83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Im going to go buy a food scale NOW! Im willing to try anything and will def be more careful on my logging. Ready to see results. Thanks again!!
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The scale tells only one side of the story.. It has to be coupled with body measurements and/or body fat %. I used to train a girl that felt the same as you. We were doing strength training, and initially, she would be terrified that the scale either didn't move or even moved the wrong way *gasp*. The measurements and body fat almost always countered the scale. One needs the whole picture before making judgements..
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    So how long have you been at this again?

• Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Im going to go buy a food scale NOW! Im willing to try anything and will def be more careful on my logging. Ready to see results. Thanks again!!

Pro tip: play "guess how accurate my estimation is". Buy scales, estimate out how large you think your portion size is... Then put it on the scales.

Keep doing it.

It will subconsciously reset your brain to recognise portion sizing properly, so that when you're in situations where you don't have scales to hand? You'll be able to do it much better by eye.

:-)