What is wrong with my BODY?????

Options

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mandymd83 wrote: »
    Eat more. Seriously. If you're consuming 1400 calories or fewer and working out, you're not eating enough. And for heaven's sake, eat the whole egg! The yoke has way more nutrients than the whites.

Upon further investigation I have to agree with this. The below are the caloric intakes suggested for your height and weight that "moderately exercises" and if you are really working out 7 days a week moderate is an underestimate.

You need 2,727 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
    You need 2,227 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
    You need 1,727 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week.

If you are eating less than 1400 calories each day you are eating much too little. My suggestion is to establish a healthy relationship with food.

Im scared to eat that many calories. Oh WOW

I'm guessing this is a TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) calculation. You can do several versions here and see for yourself.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I got about 2200 for your baseline. So you would eat at a 10% deficit to that to see how your body reacts. So 2000 calories a day. Ideally that would be mostly whole foods and not processed if possible. None of us are perfect :)

What's wrong with your body? You are only eating half the food it actually requires and still expect it to function the way you want it to.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    MFP also allows you to track certain measurements; neck, waist, hips. This will also give you a more complete picture of what is going on with your body.

Make sure that you are taking your weight at the same time when you do it. I like to take mine first thing in the morning before I eat or drink anything.

This. Great advice.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Seriously. If you're consuming 1400 calories or fewer and working out, you're not eating enough. And for heaven's sake, eat the whole egg! The yoke has way more nutrients than the whites.

If she isn't losing, she is eating more.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^if you mean she isn't really eating 1400 calories, maybe.
  • mandymd83
    mandymd83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    MFP also allows you to track certain measurements; neck, waist, hips. This will also give you a more complete picture of what is going on with your body.

Make sure that you are taking your weight at the same time when you do it. I like to take mine first thing in the morning before I eat or drink anything.

Awesome going to measure now thanks
  • mandymd83
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »

Upon further investigation I have to agree with this. The below are the caloric intakes suggested for your height and weight that "moderately exercises" and if you are really working out 7 days a week moderate is an underestimate.

If you are eating less than 1400 calories each day you are eating much too little. My suggestion is to establish a healthy relationship with food.

I'm guessing this is a TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) calculation. You can do several versions here and see for yourself.

I got about 2200 for your baseline. So you would eat at a 10% deficit to that to see how your body reacts. So 2000 calories a day. Ideally that would be mostly whole foods and not processed if possible. None of us are perfect :)

What's wrong with your body? You are only eating half the food it actually requires and still expect it to function the way you want it to.

I'm trying to eat more. I started weighing my food and measuring it...I'm actually under eating. It's really bad....like maybe 700-1000 a day and burning 300 a day. Yikes. I thought I was over eating. So I'm adding things that will not make me feel bad, carrots, bananas,veggies, whole wheat,and eggs. I don't know what to think eating all this food. I got on the scale this morning 3lbs gone!!! Whoa
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    With everything else, I suggest only weighing yourself weekly, and use a weight trender like www.weightgrapher.com to start understanding the long term trends of what you are doing. I suspect you have monthly fluctuations of water weight that are hiding your losses.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    At 5'10" and 176 pounds, your BMI is 25.3. You are barely, JUST BARELY, in the overweight category.

Also, according to fitnessfrog, your TDEE calories are 2196 with light exercise. Even eating 20% below that, you should be eating approximately 1756 calories a day. IMO, you are very close to a normal weight so losing is much harder, and I believe your calories are set way too low. The fact that you are NOT losing weight leads me to believe you're eating and drinking far more than you realize.

*edit* I should have read the rest of the thread. TDEE has already been talked about. Never mind. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I'm trying to eat more. I started weighing my food and measuring it...I'm actually under eating. It's really bad....like maybe 700-1000 a day and burning 300 a day. Yikes. I thought I was over eating. So I'm adding things that will not make me feel bad, carrots, bananas,veggies, whole wheat,and eggs. I don't know what to think eating all this food. I got on the scale this morning 3lbs gone!!! Whoa

In your OP you said that you were consuming 1400 and burning off about 300..

so in reality you were only eating about 400 to 700 and burning off 300 for a net of a 100 to 400 calories????

• ndj1979
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    At 5'10" and 176 pounds, your BMI is 25.3. You are barely, JUST BARELY, in the overweight category.

Also, according to fitnessfrog, your TDEE calories are 2196 with light exercise. Even eating 20% below that, you should be eating approximately 1756 calories a day. IMO, you are very close to a normal weight so losing is much harder, and I believe your calories are set way too low. The fact that you are NOT losing weight leads me to believe you're eating and drinking far more than you realize.

BMI is a garbage stat because it does not take into account muscle mass, so I would not base anything on what one's BMI is.

My BMI is over weight and I am about 14% body fat....

I agree with the eating more part though...
  • mandymd83
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so in reality you were only eating about 400 to 700 and burning off 300 for a net of a 100 to 400 calories????

Yes. I believe this is a more accurate number. This is bad right?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yes. I believe this is a more accurate number. This is bad right?

that is definitely not good, how long do you think you were doing that for?
  • mandymd83
    Options
    years. :( I will get mad and eat whatever and thats when i will actually gain. I weighed 165 for about 4 years. Then just gave up. Normally I eat the same 700 or less (with exercise) I thought i was eating more. Until I started measuring...now im wondering if this is why my muscles ache ALL THE TIME!!! Ah This is so enlightening
  • ndj1979
    Options
    by years, do you mean that you have been netting that low of calories for years, or that you have been yoyoig for years?

I am just curious how long you have been netting that low of calories for, because you may have some kind of metabolic adaptation going on and/or adaptive thermogenesis..

• mandymd83
    Options
    yo yoing for years. and 80% of too low calories also for years. When I do stay on my diet Its way too low.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    yo yoing for years. and 80% of too low calories also for years. When I do stay on my diet Its way too low.

OK - well I would suggest making sure that you net the number that MFP gives you for X amount of weight loss.

Also, I would only eat back half of exercise calories as the burn estimates on those things are way off.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

OK - well I would suggest making sure that you net the number that MFP gives you for X amount of weight loss.

Also, I would only eat back half of exercise calories as the burn estimates on those things are way off.

Being unfamiliar with the impacts of eating such a low volume for such a long time, should the OP expect to see an initial spike in weight? I would imagine her body will need to adjust to the new volume of food, no?

If so, then I'd just want her to know to expect that, to not freak out and to definitely not return to her ultra low cal consumption.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

Being unfamiliar with the impacts of eating such a low volume for such a long time, should the OP expect to see an initial spike in weight? I would imagine her body will need to adjust to the new volume of food, no?

If so, then I'd just want her to know to expect that, to not freak out and to definitely not return to her ultra low cal consumption.

good point.

ummm, I would assume yes as about five pounds of it would be glycogen replenishment/water weight...but my expectation would be that she would start losing in a few months once her body adjusted to the new intake and everything "reset"...

this assumes that the low net number I am working off has been going on for in excess of a year....

So OP - You may see a temporary gain but that is just water weight and don't freak out and start dropping calories...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

@MireyGal76 , that's a great idea.

• mandymd83
    Options
    Starting new way of thinking now. Im going to 1. eat my set amount of calories 2. exercise and eat back only 50% of those burned 3. not freak out when the scale goes up 4. pray this works :) Thanks everyone. Serious Serious help on this thread!!!!!! I am very thankful!!