Any 5x5 Success Stories?

Options

Replies

• giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Let's keep this up guys. OP I'm in ny too and Monday I will start my 4th week of stronglifts. The OHP is the one difficult to up in weight so far... but I feel great
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    MikeDee_ny wrote: »
    Oh I love this thread so much! JUST started and am excited to progress even though I am embarrassed to even say what I am able to lift now. But....I guess we all have to start somewhere?

Don't be embarrassed. We all start somewhere. I just started with the empty bar.

I can't even do the bar on some things (bench press) but I am ok with that for now, I guess. I just downloaded the app so I am looking forward to making that happen real soon!!!!

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed. We all start somewhere. I just started with the empty bar.

I can't even do the bar on some things (bench press) but I am ok with that for now, I guess. I just downloaded the app so I am looking forward to making that happen real soon!!!!

Exactly, we all start somewhere. I did stronglifts for 12 weeks and could barely bench press the bar and had to go to below 45 for overhead press to get the form right when I first started. By the end, however, I was up to failing at 90 lbs on bench and 70 for overhead press. My max on bench now is 100 for 3 reps, which I tested just for fun between stages in current program. (I'm doing new rules of lifting for women at the moment so working on different lifts and rep counts currently.)

Just keep on lifting. :smile:
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in starting to lift, but I'm super paranoid I'm going to do something wrong and hurt myself. I figure, after my whirlwind month of half marathons, I'll start. I'm trying not to be so intimidated by the free weight area of the gym. :anguished:
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    This is about a month difference and 4.7 lbs. It's not much but I think I'm starting to see some changes. I'm definitely stronger than when I started in Feb.
    scje7ps1cdse.jpg
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in starting to lift, but I'm super paranoid I'm going to do something wrong and hurt myself. I figure, after my whirlwind month of half marathons, I'll start. I'm trying not to be so intimidated by the free weight area of the gym. :anguished:

I hurt myself twice:

Once when I got bored of stronglifts and tried experimenting with fancy, technical Olympic stuff and overtrained it and hurt my shoulder.

Again, doing stronglifts but not eating enough. I was stuck with the "5 lbs. a week" progression and I let my form suffer instead of deloading or upping my calories.

So basically I chalk those up to poor decision making on my part. Listen to your body, make sure you're eating enough to match your work output. You'll be astounded.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options

@krissyreminisce , you'll do fine in the weight area. Just start light and slowly work up. Watch a bunch of videos, and scavenge the web for as much "good" information as you can (there's a lot of bad stuff out there too). If you're really worried, have a trainer start you out and tweak your form, and then maybe check-in with them once a month as the weights get heavier to make sure your form isn't breaking down.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Nice reviews. I kind of jumped the gun when I picked my programming and went for Wendler's 5/3/1...now wondering if I should switch to SL. Everyone seems to like it.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Again, doing stronglifts but not eating enough. I was stuck with the "5 lbs. a week" progression and I let my form suffer instead of deloading or upping my calories.

So basically I chalk those up to poor decision making on my part. Listen to your body, make sure you're eating enough to match your work output. You'll be astounded.

This! I was trying to keep a significant deficit to keep losing quickly, but was soooo tired and my lifts were suffering. Upped the calories a bit to what I should have been eating, ~1500, and everything improved. Well, except the scale. It's not moving down too much. It's not reliable, anyway. If I can continue to go down in sizes, that's all I want.
  • arditarose
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »

This! I was trying to keep a significant deficit to keep losing quickly, but was soooo tired and my lifts were suffering. Upped the calories a bit to what I should have been eating, ~1500, and everything improved. Well, except the scale. It's not moving down too much. It's not reliable, anyway. If I can continue to go down in sizes, that's all I want.

How long did it take you after upping your calories for you lifts to improve?
  • ar9179
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

The next workout. Seriously. I had been struggling with 55 lbs on OHP for a while. I went ahead and tried 60 and failed on the second set. Took loooooong rests and got through the rest, but I should have de-loaded.
    April 2 - not a good feeling while lifting and tired all the time
    April 5 - upped calories after doing some reading
    April 7 - had a great work out. S=85 Bench=75 Row=75
    April 9 - felt so strong. S=90 OHP=60 DL=155 It was hard, but I didn't fail on anything and had more energy overall. Take THAT OHP!
  • arditarose
    Options

The next workout. Seriously. I had been struggling with 55 lbs on OHP for a while. I went ahead and tried 60 and failed on the second set. Took loooooong rests and got through the rest, but I should have de-loaded.
    April 2 - not a good feeling while lifting and tired all the time
    April 5 - upped calories after doing some reading
    April 7 - had a great work out. S=85 Bench=75 Row=75
    April 9 - felt so strong. S=90 OHP=60 DL=155 It was hard, but I didn't fail on anything and had more energy overall. Take THAT OHP!

Ugh. I'm so upping my calories this week. Screw 130 lbs. Tired of feeling like a wimp with my lifts. Thanks for that time line :)
  • ar9179
    Options
    Ugh. I'm so upping my calories this week. Screw 130 lbs. Tired of feeling like a wimp with my lifts. Thanks for that time line :)

You won't regret it, overall. Yeah, seeing that scale move steadily down is nice. But not gaining strength was doing a number on my emotional wellbeing, and THAT was leading toward a cycle I want out of my life. Food = tasty fuel, not comfort or punishment.

For what it's worth, you look fabulous. I can't believe anyone in your life would think you weigh more than 130, anyway! You look so slender!
  • McCloud33
    Options
    My experience has been that if you want to do a deficit, it really needs to be small if you want to progress on the lifts after a certain point. I felt so much better after upping my calories for my second 3 months stint with SL. I tried to cut pretty drastically in January and my lifts suffered accordingly as I cut my carbs way down. They help get the glycogen in your muscles that help with your lifts too. Looking forward to June when I go on a bulk again.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    My experience has been that if you want to do a deficit, it really needs to be small if you want to progress on the lifts after a certain point.

Great progress, McCloud33!

How small of a deficit would you say would be ideal, in your experience.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Love this thread!
  • arditarose
    Options

You won't regret it, overall. Yeah, seeing that scale move steadily down is nice. But not gaining strength was doing a number on my emotional wellbeing, and THAT was leading toward a cycle I want out of my life. Food = tasty fuel, not comfort or punishment.

For what it's worth, you look fabulous. I can't believe anyone in your life would think you weigh more than 130, anyway! You look so slender!

What a nice compliment, thank you :)

Yay for food and lifting the things.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    My experience has been that if you want to do a deficit, it really needs to be small if you want to progress on the lifts after a certain point.

Great progress, McCloud33!

How small of a deficit would you say would be ideal, in your experience.

@MisterZ33 It just depends on your goals. If your goal is to lose weight solely, then don't expect to set the world on fire in the weight room with setting personal records or anything. If you're a guy, starting with the bar, you're going to be able to go quite a ways even on a deficit. If you've been lifting for awhile, or starting with a higher weight, I wouldn't do much less than 1-200 cal/day deficit, and you could go up to 500 cal/day surplus if you really want to gain on the bar.
  • wilsonctenney
    wilsonctenney Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just started strong lifts last week, but I have been lifting a while so I didn't start with the bar. I'm 202.6 @ 16.7% bodyfat (using the 3 point method) and running a 20% deficit, but I'll be doing only a 15% cut when my bodyfat gets under 15%. My main goal is body composition and I am trying to get into 8-9% range and then do weekly adjustments to keep in there. Here is a question: do you just enter the activity for stronglifts as 45 min of 'strength training'? Also, I'm doing intermittent fasting as well, so my first meal of the day is a low carb protein shake before lifting, then I cram all the rest of my calories in 1-2 hours just after lifting.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!