Any 5x5 Success Stories?

Options

Replies

• Solamer
    Solamer Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm three weeks in and a complete newbie to barbell weight lifting. I haven't seen big changes yet but I FEEL stronger and being stronger makes me feel lighter... and that feels really good. So far I really like the program.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    ejane609 wrote: »
    I'm three weeks in and a complete newbie to barbell weight lifting. I haven't seen big changes yet but I FEEL stronger and being stronger makes me feel lighter... and that feels really good. So far I really like the program.

I was going to say almost exactly this.

Ive been 7 times, also had a week holiday breaking it up, and already I feel really good. I dont believe Ive bulked at all, would be silly really, but I am finding everything feels kind of "tighter", or firmer. It leaves me with excitement to wonder how I will feel after another 7 times!

I started with the bar, and that first day I walked out of the gym and nearly collapsed walking down a step - my legs were like jelly and just went from under me! After that I dreaded squats, but seriously I love them now.

I work out early, and accidentally put 10kg on the bar more than I should have yesterday, did a set of 5 thinking "This is heavier than normal - I must be tired!" and then realised my mistake (was just having one of 'those' days). I deloaded the bar, to stick with the program, but was absolutely delighted I still did that set and felt good doing it.

Its hard to say if Im getting stronger at this point, its so early, but I am now feeling that I am working harder which feels really good.

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    One year difference. SL 5x5 on and off (mostly off due to injury and surgery) but all together probably about 4 months of it.

7kvv21ofx2gl.jpg

I'd say you did something more than just Stronglifts.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I just started strong lifts last week, but I have been lifting a while so I didn't start with the bar. I'm 202.6 @ 16.7% bodyfat (using the 3 point method) and running a 20% deficit, but I'll be doing only a 15% cut when my bodyfat gets under 15%. My main goal is body composition and I am trying to get into 8-9% range and then do weekly adjustments to keep in there. Here is a question: do you just enter the activity for stronglifts as 45 min of 'strength training'? Also, I'm doing intermittent fasting as well, so my first meal of the day is a low carb protein shake before lifting, then I cram all the rest of my calories in 1-2 hours just after lifting.

That's how I've always logged mine. Probably not very accurate, but seems like the easiest way to me.

• giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I started my 10th week of stronglifts. The scale hasn't moved much but the inches are steadily coming off :smile: . I started with the empty barbell and as of yesterday my stats are squats 135 (yay finally got to the 45 plate!) Deadlift 195, row 90, bench 80 and ohp 65 (grrr). It's insane to look back at just a few months ago and think about how clumsy/weak I felt with just the bar. Such a great program to do. I will be back to post pics at my year mark lol
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just started strong lifts last week, but I have been lifting a while so I didn't start with the bar. I'm 202.6 @ 16.7% bodyfat (using the 3 point method) and running a 20% deficit, but I'll be doing only a 15% cut when my bodyfat gets under 15%. My main goal is body composition and I am trying to get into 8-9% range and then do weekly adjustments to keep in there. Here is a question: do you just enter the activity for stronglifts as 45 min of 'strength training'? Also, I'm doing intermittent fasting as well, so my first meal of the day is a low carb protein shake before lifting, then I cram all the rest of my calories in 1-2 hours just after lifting.

That's how I've always logged mine. Probably not very accurate, but seems like the easiest way to me.

I don't think this is an accurate way to log because you are not lifting for the entire 45min. There is a lot of resting. I don't log the calories as cardio. I just keep track of my sets as strength, which is not overly accurate either. I log no calories but I'm not too strict with my calories and will eat a little more if I'm hungry. It seems to be working for me so far.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is super slow and I wouldn't say the inches are exactly coming off either, but I definitely feel stronger. I've been doing it since mid/late January and last week, this super buff, tattooed guy that I see at the gym a lot but have never spoken to before told me I'm awesome. I'd call that a success.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ...Here is a question: do you just enter the activity for stronglifts as 45 min of 'strength training'? Also, I'm doing intermittent fasting as well, so my first meal of the day is a low carb protein shake before lifting, then I cram all the rest of my calories in 1-2 hours just after lifting.

I do IF and don't eat back exercise calories, regardless if I'm cutting or bulking, just set a calorie goal and forget it. Your protein shake is breaking your fast. Why not get some carbs in before your workout? I would guess your gym performance would improve with some carbs.

• BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    So I just finished 1 week(3 workouts). I only used the bar for each workout and didn't progress with any plates. I felt a bit sore the day after each workout. I definitely feel good physically as well as mentally. Being able to get through the workout and now looking forward to the progression feels great. I think I'm hooked.

I'll start doing the plate progression beginning with my next workout.
  • goillini1996
    goillini1996 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    MikeDee_ny wrote: »
    So I just finished 1 week(3 workouts). I only used the bar for each workout and didn't progress with any plates. I felt a bit sore the day after each workout. I definitely feel good physically as well as mentally. Being able to get through the workout and now looking forward to the progression feels great. I think I'm hooked.

I'll start doing the plate progression beginning with my next workout.

Going to start myself today - I am going to begin with bar only as well - we'll see how it goes!!! Glad to hear there are other guys out there that are beginners as well!
  • CChilders1
    CChilders1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried the Ice Cream 5x5? Similar concept, but adds in some of the auxiliary muscles associated with the larger lifts. I have in the past lifted quite extensively for power (college FB) and this type of program is appealing. Here's some info on the Ice Cream method: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    CChilders1 wrote: »
    Anyone tried the Ice Cream 5x5? Similar concept, but adds in some of the auxiliary muscles associated with the larger lifts. I have in the past lifted quite extensively for power (college FB) and this type of program is appealing. Here's some info on the Ice Cream method: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

I've looked into it and if I had the time it might be feasible, but as the regular SL5x5 program get's heavier and I needed more rest in between sets, I was already pushing 45-55 minutes and I only have an hour from the time the gym opens until I have to leave to get ready for work. Everything I've read says ICF takes closer to an hour and a half, but get's good results
  • CChilders1
    CChilders1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

McCloud33 wrote: »
    CChilders1 wrote: »

I've looked into it and if I had the time it might be feasible, but as the regular SL5x5 program get's heavier and I needed more rest in between sets, I was already pushing 45-55 minutes and I only have an hour from the time the gym opens until I have to leave to get ready for work. Everything I've read says ICF takes closer to an hour and a half, but get's good results

That was my concern as well. He estimates in the video it taking 90 minutes to complete.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Are you guys continuing after the 12 weeks ?
  • akiba254
    akiba254 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am just starting but this thread has been awesome motivation to stick with it and believe its the right thing.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 of the program and already feeling much stronger. A little clumsy but improving. Eating at TDEE minus about 10-20% and it has really helped improve my lifts (did this program for two months a while back and struggled at a 2 pound loss a week deficit)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I don't have any pics, but I went from a 70lb squat and 'wtf is a deadlift' to 200+ on each lift. It's a great program, and I really enjoyed seeing my progress every session. Best of luck to you!
    ^This is my favorite description of lifting newb.

I ran Strong lifts off and on for about two years. I took some breaks for vacation and switched to strong curves for a few months when I got mentally tired. Then I injured my tailbone and had to take a break from deads and squats, and went back to SL when I could do them again.

Just started Wendler's (I'm in my deload week of my first cycle). Not huge improvements recently on the scale, but I increased my calories because I found myself binging a lot (plus had the lovely 10lb holiday gain that I still haven't worked off).

Started with the bar except for DL (started at 65lbs). Finished SL with the following 5 rep weights:
    Squats 170
    Bench 95
    OHP 65
    Rows 95
    DL 210
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifting newb too but completely falling in love with it. This is the second week I've done stronglifts, and already feel stronger/better. I started with the bar even though it was super easy for me. I'm just focusing on form, but I can already tell that my OHP is going to be the lift that I'll dread. And after reading all this, I'm definitely not eating enough!
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Question about eating enough, as the above poster mentioned. At 5'10" with about 50ish pounds to lose, lifting 3x a week and cardio 4 times a week....desk job otherwise, should I be eating more than 1350 calories? All calculators say yes, by way more, but MFP gave the 1350 number. I do eat back some exercise cals, but never all, and rarely half. And yes, I am tired all the damn time. The scale has not moved either direction in a bit....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!