Any 5x5 Success Stories?

Options
BklynFitGuy
BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
I've been using MFP since January and walking on the treadmill. Started about 212 and I'm down to 195. Im going to start the Stronglifts 5x5 and was just curious to see who has had success with that program and possibly some progress pics. Thanks!!!

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Definitely. Never lifted before last summer. Here is a picture of me after my first three months of lifting. I had previously gone from 235-185lbs(picture on the left) and then went from 185-182 doing SL 5x5. I kept it up and was able to joint the 1000# club in my first 6 months with a 405lb squat, 245lb bench and 405lb deadlift.
    udy6i3v0gj8p.jpg
  • Islebehere
    Islebehere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see all these responses, too. I just came across Stronglift 5x5 yesterday and want to do it.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    One year difference. SL 5x5 on and off (mostly off due to injury and surgery) but all together probably about 4 months of it.

7kvv21ofx2gl.jpg
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    One more... Arms progress :)
    mcdkh8k8nv5d.jpg
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just started last week, so hopefully I'll be a success story eventually... I should take some "before" pics.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Love SL! Since I began lifting heavier, I've lost huge inches! Thanks for the reminder to update my pictures :)
  • BklynFitGuy
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    Definitely. Never lifted before last summer. Here is a picture of me after my first three months of lifting. I had previously gone from 235-185lbs(picture on the left) and then went from 185-182 doing SL 5x5. I kept it up and was able to joint the 1000# club in my first 6 months with a 405lb squat, 245lb bench and 405lb deadlift.
    udy6i3v0gj8p.jpg

Nice job. Just curious as to what weight you started lifting? I just started yesterday with the empty bar since I've never lifted before and want to make sure my form is correct.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    I "started" with the bar, but upped most of the weights within the first couple weeks. I would say my actual starting weights were closer to 135 dead, 95 squat, 85 bench/row, and 65 oh press.
  • jasonraygagnon
    jasonraygagnon Posts: 86 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    I "started" with the bar, but upped most of the weights within the first couple weeks. I would say my actual starting weights were closer to 135 dead, 95 squat, 85 bench/row, and 65 oh press.

what's your OH Press now? Just curious, as your shoulders got quite a bit bigger!
  • McCloud33
    Options
    at the point of the pictures I was at about a 125-130 5x5 set. It really hasn't changed that much as I've been on a deficit and am down to about 172 now. I'm hoping to start my first bulk in June and start adding to my lifts again.
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have been incorporating SL5x5 three days a week since day one (I also include yoga one day and a hiit-style step class another day). Here's my progress thus far:

ic1ig1h67011.jpg

I've lost around 22 lbs. Many, many inches.

My current main lifts: 155 squat, 205 deadlift, 65 overhead press, 80 bench, 90 row. I love it and find it very effective.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pics, but I went from a 70lb squat and 'wtf is a deadlift' to 200+ on each lift. It's a great program, and I really enjoyed seeing my progress every session. Best of luck to you!
  • jasonraygagnon
    jasonraygagnon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have been incorporating SL5x5 three days a week since day one (I also include yoga one day and a hiit-style step class another day). Here's my progress thus far:

ic1ig1h67011.jpg

I've lost around 22 lbs. Many, many inches.

My current main lifts: 155 squat, 205 deadlift, 65 overhead press, 80 bench, 90 row. I love it and find it very effective.

WOWZA!
  • BklynFitGuy
    Options
    Wow, all impressive. Thank you all for the feedback.
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific pre-lift to "what I lift right now", but I've been doing it for a bit now. I only was able to use the bar, essentially.
    125 squat. 155 deadlift. 100 row. 80 bench.
    and I have to deload to 60 OH because I kept failing my last set of 70. :(

either way, I use their app and I love it.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I started with the bar in mid Feb and completed the following this week. I took a couple of weeks off due to an Achilles problem and spring break with the kids, so I had to de-load.
    Squat 90
    OHP 60
    DL 155
    BP 75
    Row 75

I've lost a ton of inches. My belly used to measure more than my ample bosom. Now it's 7 inches less than my bust! Muscles are peeking through the fat and I feel fantastic.
  • BklynFitGuy
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »
    I started with the bar in mid Feb and completed the following this week. I took a couple of weeks off due to an Achilles problem and spring break with the kids, so I had to de-load.
    Squat 90
    OHP 60
    DL 155
    BP 75
    Row 75

I've lost a ton of inches. My belly used to measure more than my ample bosom. Now it's 7 inches less than my bust! Muscles are peeking through the fat and I feel fantastic.

Awesome!!! I started at 208 in January and down to 193 by just tracking calories and walking on the treadmill. Just started Stronglifts and I can't wait for the muscles to start peeking through.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Oh I love this thread so much! JUST started and am excited to progress even though I am embarrassed to even say what I am able to lift now. But....I guess we all have to start somewhere?
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just started 2 weeks ago. Haven't lifted before so starting very light. Squats getting easier but still struggling with bench press and overhead press.
    Looking forward to seeing other people's progress. Thanks to those who posted pics, very motivating!
  • BklynFitGuy
    Options
    Oh I love this thread so much! JUST started and am excited to progress even though I am embarrassed to even say what I am able to lift now. But....I guess we all have to start somewhere?

Don't be embarrassed. We all start somewhere. I just started with the empty bar.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!