OHP in squat rack?

Options
My gym only has 1 squat rack. There isn't a power rack, there's a smith machine but I haven't heard good things about them.

Is it considered bad gym etiquette to do OHP in the squat rack? Cleaning the bar is getting quite tiresome and I'm just dreading the day something goes wrong when I can't get a rep out or something.

Replies

• bennett180790
    bennett180790 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    the squat rack is for squats hence the name ... dont be that person who does arm curls and shoulder work out's in the squat rack. especially if there is only one ! use the smith for shoulders that is fine but leave the squat rack for squatters :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it inappropriate to do OHP in the squat rack, even if there is only one. I would ask how many sets they have left and let them know you need it to squat.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't consider it inappropriate to do OHP in the squat rack, even if there is only one. I would ask how many sets they have left and let them know you need it to squat.

This. I do OHP in the squat rack and have never had anyone complain.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.
    I guess as long as you don't mind them saying no.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Since you only have one in your establishment, I'd recommend letting people work in, if necessary. And not taking forever, if you can help it. But OHP is a legitimate use of the squat rack.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Unless you've got extra olympic bars in your gym the only alternative would be taking a bar from a bench, no? Now THAT would be inappropriate.
    the squat rack is for squats hence the name ... dont be that person who does arm curls and shoulder work out's in the squat rack. especially if there is only one ! use the smith for shoulders that is fine but leave the squat rack for squatters :)

The smith machine is pretty bad for these kinds of movements. You are gonna want a free moving weight.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I do them all the time in the squat rack...otherwise you waste energy getting into press position. Luckily at my OHP, I can usually just work in with others squatting...
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I would only do it if nobody else is around. The minute someone comes near the racks, I ask them to let me know if they need the rack (there are three, so usually it isn't a problem). I would give it up for someone who would be squatting though. I don't want to be "that person" either....LOL
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I OHP in the squat rack. No one seems to mind in my gym. To be fair, most people that are in the weight room at the same time I am are either bench pressing or doing dumbbell workouts.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My gym has six (!) squat racks, and not that many people who squat, so people OHP in them all the time. I do sometimes because I lift super early and there are never more than 6 people in the free weights section total. But if there was a wait or only one rack, I would [politely] ask them and the many curl bros to move.
    If there's, like, 3 people in the gym and they're on cardio machines, you're probably okay.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    If no one is around and its in my routine, I will OHP in the squat rack, but I keep an eye out for incoming squatters (and wish they'd do the same for me on my leg days).

You think cleaning the bar for OHP is getting tiresome.. try cleaning the bar for squats!!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    There are 2 squat racks and 1 power cage at my gym. On day B I squat and then do OHP next. If no one appears to be waiting for any of them or if at least 1 of the other 2 are open then I'll OHP in the squat rack.

Also obligatory image.
    q5vcTkc.jpg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    OHP in squat rack as well. Don't see an issue.
  • hoecradle
    hoecradle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I OHP in my squat rack. I don't see a problem with it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I guess as long as you don't mind them saying no.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I do. I keep an eye out for anyone waiting to use the rack but, besides DH and I, I've only seen 2 others squat in it once. That's in the last couple of months, anyway.
    Most use it for curls.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Just clean the bar.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I OHP in the squat rack - the only one of my gym's three that will allow me to set the safety bars high enough to matter. Of the other two, one has no safety bars at all, and the other lets you set them at about waist height and below.

I really don't care if it's meets gym etiquette rules or not. I've missed OHP with weights that I'd managed previously just because I was extra fatigued that day and my form went pear-shaped, so now I don't 100% trust myself with it even if I feel good. I'm not risking dropping a barbell from over my head without a spotter or safety bars to catch it.

I do wait until that rack is free and clear without anyone waiting on it. I also don't spend a lot of time on OHP. Few sets, more reps. 5-6 min from start to finish is not a long time for someone to wait.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends. Is it just a squat rack or a power rack? My gym has one smith machine and one power rack. There are no squat racks. People do all kinds of exercises in the power rack and no one has a problem with it unless someone is in there for a crazy long time. I OHP in the power rack and I see no problem with it. If there were only a squat rack maybe things would be different, but I doubt as many people would be waiting for it anyway.