OHP in squat rack?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    the squat rack is for squats hence the name ... dont be that person who does arm curls and shoulder work out's in the squat rack. especially if there is only one ! use the smith for shoulders that is fine but leave the squat rack for squatters :)
    The smith machine is for smiths. It's rude to hog it to do shoulders!

Exactly, only people named Smith should be using it.

4165JR3NJML.jpg
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to clean the bar for OHP; I use the racks for it. I've never considered it to be an inappropriate use of the equipment.

People use the power racks for deads and rack pulls and cleans and rows and all kinds of stuff that aren't squats.

I think people hate curling in the squat rack because it's curls, and it's rarely done with enough weight to justify using the rack. If someone was curling 135 in the squat rack I'd mentally high five them.

if someone was curling a 135 lb barbell Id run as fast I could away from them. Theyd break you into 1000 pieces. Unless they are benching their 135 friend, like some ppl use the squat rack to do apparently
  • wfrazjr
    wfrazjr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Time for more lunges.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I can't even believe you are paying money for a gym with just 1 squat rack to begin with but general rule of thumb is the preset barbells are just as heavy as the weight that you are OHP in the squat rack (those barbells that usually go from 20-110 from my experience) then be considerate and stay out of it. If your OHP is higher than that then there really isn't a real safe alternative but to use the squat rack (also if you are over 5'9 don't even bother with smith because your reach is too long to hit the top all of the way.)

The set weight barbells are usually in increments of 10lbs. There is no way that I (or most people who have been lifting for a while) can jump in those increments doing OHPs. With the standard barbell you can add on little micro plates, even.

I use the cage for OHP. Even before I had my home gym, that's where I did them. It's totally a legit use of the squat rack.

If there are people constantly waiting for the squat rack, put in a request for another one.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I think if someone's time were actually so valuable they can't wait to use a squat rack, they would be willing to pay enough for a gym that had enough equipment.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Ilikelamps wrote: »
    Alidecker wrote: »
    jhc7324 wrote: »
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    OHP? Go for it.

What's been ticking me off lately are the people who will do their DLs in the rack--not using any part of the rack at all.

There are extra bars for a reason. Use them. Elsewhere.

How do you deadlift in a squat rack?

I've seen this in the power cage at my gym. You remove the safety bars, lay the bar on the floor and do deadlifts inside the cage, but not using any part of it. This is for people who apparently don't realize you can take a bar off the rack and go to an empty area of floor and deadlift there without taking up equipment.

I used to deadlift in the power rack, but that was the only rack we had and the only bar we had. If I take the bar out of the power rack, no one really has a need for the power rack right? Power rack with no bar is kind of useless. Also, our gym was pretty small and there was no free space to take the bar. Gym has since moved to a larger location, still only one rack, but we have an extra bar...now I deadlift with that.

power rack with no bar= useless!? Girl, you can yoga, circuit train, eat, and sit in a power cage!!! seesh, don't make the poor power cages feel useless.

You forgot power naps. How else do you think they got their name?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I can't even believe you are paying money for a gym with just 1 squat rack to begin with but general rule of thumb is the preset barbells are just as heavy as the weight that you are OHP in the squat rack (those barbells that usually go from 20-110 from my experience) then be considerate and stay out of it. If your OHP is higher than that then there really isn't a real safe alternative but to use the squat rack (also if you are over 5'9 don't even bother with smith because your reach is too long to hit the top all of the way.)

There are only 2 gyms in my town (approx 15,000 populated), one gym is £19.99 for students. The other doesn't have a student discount, and it's a LOT more than what I pay. It's a lot nicer, has a few more facilities but I can't really stretch my budget there yet.

Definitely making a switch to it when I have the chance though.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    OHP? Go for it.

What's been ticking me off lately are the people who will do their DLs in the rack--not using any part of the rack at all.

There are extra bars for a reason. Use them. Elsewhere.

I DL in the power rack all the time, not because I'm obnoxious, but because with the way the weight room is set up, there is nowhere else to deadlift. I imagine that's why everyone DL's there (well, the handful of people I've ever seen deadlift). Hardly anyone seems to squat either (while I'm there, at least), but that's beside the point. It likely explains why they have three flat benches, an incline, and a decline, but only one power rack and a Smith machine.

The moral of my story is that it's silly to assume a One Rule Fits All approach to gym etiquette, as not all gyms are the same (nor are all gym goers).

I guess I tend to agree with your moral, though it's only tangentially relevant to what I was saying. I was speaking to what's been annoying me about my gym lately. And since we have plenty of room for DLs in the weight area, your example wouldn't apply. One can find exceptions to any rule if they look hard enough for scenario that it doesn't fit.

I suppose I didn't bother thinking about the situation you mention because none of the gyms I've ever been to lacked for space to deadlift outside the rack, though some have lacked for bars. That can also cause a problem.

Some people obviously have a problem with people doing OHPs in the rack, but I don't. I don't expect anyone to necessarily perform a clean in order to execute any particular lift.

I'm also not fond of people doing their t bar rows in the power rack when there are other places available to do so.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My gym has a couple of power racks...these racks are to be used for power lifts. OHP is a power lift, thus it is perfectly acceptable. Doing curls or resistance band work or whatever aren't power lifts and thus not acceptable and it would be poor form to do these exercises in the rack.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

So, it's safe to drop a 110 lb fixed barbell from over my head? That's not enough weight to do me some decent damage?

Personally, I don't want even a 20 lb weight bouncing off of me on the way down.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Everyone at my gym does everything barbell-related in one of the power racks because there's no room to do it anywhere else. Sometimes I do trap bar deadlifts in the middle of all the benches, because that's got a small footprint, but that's about it.
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think if someone's time were actually so valuable they can't wait to use a squat rack, they would be willing to pay enough for a gym that had enough equipment.

Some of us live in tiny apartments.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I do OHP's in the squat rack, too. I didn't even know it was frowned upon (I'm a lifting noob).
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Today I Deadlifted in the rack. Rowed in the rack. Squatted in the rack. Lol. Took me 40 minutes or so. It was pretty slow today. If the two racks in my gym are busy I'll ohp with dumbells. But its not often one isn't open.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Another good strategy is to do exercises you like toward the end of the week because gyms are usually emptier. Mondays and Tuesdays are usually very packed and it's usually starts to taper down in attendance each day till Saturday morning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

One of the reasons I love to lift on Friday nights. I can go prior to 6pm and still get in the squat rack (my gym only has two).

I personally can't OHP an Olympic bar yet, but everyone I see doing it does so in the squat rack. I imagine when I get there that's where I'll be doing them too.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    LaarainNYC wrote: »

Some of us live in tiny apartments.
    I was talking about gym memberships. There's probably more than one gym in NYC.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't consider it inappropriate to do OHP in the squat rack, even if there is only one. I would ask how many sets they have left and let them know you need it to squat.
    This.

Granted, my gym has one squat rack and three power cages, but I'd still consider it pretty typical to use either or for doing OHPs. I'm frankly a little surprised that anyone would have an issue with someone wanting to do their OHPs with the hooks close by. That and each cage only has one bar. If I'm using the bar, I might as well use the cage.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    the squat rack is for squats hence the name ... dont be that person who does arm curls and shoulder work out's in the squat rack. especially if there is only one ! use the smith for shoulders that is fine but leave the squat rack for squatters :)
    The smith machine is for smiths. It's rude to hog it to do shoulders!

Exactly, only people named Smith should be using it.

4165JR3NJML.jpg

But does she have a six pack?

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I OHP in the only power rack at my gym (we have no squat racks), I am not even sorry. Everyone else does it and we try to work with each other to work in/not hog space.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I squat in the squat rack - I also have done OHPs in a squat rack, and a few times have used it for bench presses when the other benches weren't available. Am I doing it wrong, oh great Exercise Etiquette Guru?