OHP in squat rack?

Options

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I did not intend for this thread to get so...

volatile

Lol. This is far, far from volatile. Especially for MFP.

• Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    ab0c7aa2c6420ef9724897ddc9fa1ffe.jpg
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    OHP? Go for it.

What's been ticking me off lately are the people who will do their DLs in the rack--not using any part of the rack at all.

There are extra bars for a reason. Use them. Elsewhere.

My gym has 1 squat rack, 1 bench and 1 thing where you could do either, with 1 bar each. So I'm *kitten* either way.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is why 5 a.m., when only a few people are there is awesome!
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    what do you guys think about having my pre workout snack in the power cage? there's usually a bench there so I like to sit. Ive done it twice so far
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Mine has 2 squat racks and a power rack. I damn sure OHP in the squat rack... and I row in the squat rack. Come at me bro!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    OHP? Go for it.

What's been ticking me off lately are the people who will do their DLs in the rack--not using any part of the rack at all.

My gym has 1 squat rack, 1 bench and 1 thing where you could do either, with 1 bar each. So I'm *kitten* either way.

Without extra bars, yeah. You're SOL.
  • StephaniePaige1020
    StephaniePaige1020 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just throw in a OHS or two while you're at it, then you are technically squatting too, so there can be no argument. :)
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are so mean and judgmental about gym etiquette. last time I was at the gym I was doing some circuit training in the squat rack thing and this guy came over and asked me to move. I said no because it's the best place for my resistance bands (there's nowhere else you can really do that at my gym) and he got super upset with me. people just need to let me do my thing!!

I want to ask you about piercings but i think ppl here would be extra confused
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I can't believe people are so mean and judgmental about gym etiquette. last time I was at the gym I was doing some circuit training in the squat rack thing and this guy came over and asked me to move. I said no because it's the best place for my resistance bands (there's nowhere else you can really do that at my gym) and he got super upset with me. people just need to let me do my thing!!

DO YOU EVEN FITNESS

that's really offensive since I actually do a lot of yoga.

and you are amazing lol

• upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I can't even believe you are paying money for a gym with just 1 squat rack to begin with but general rule of thumb is the preset barbells are just as heavy as the weight that you are OHP in the squat rack (those barbells that usually go from 20-110 from my experience) then be considerate and stay out of it. If your OHP is higher than that then there really isn't a real safe alternative but to use the squat rack (also if you are over 5'9 don't even bother with smith because your reach is too long to hit the top all of the way.)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.
    I guess as long as you don't mind them saying no.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.

They pay for the gym as well, no?

yes they do..but just cause you pay for a gym membership doesn't mean you own it and can do what you want whenever you want...it would be different if there are multiple racks but in this case there is only one and everyone has to admit if you knew that someone wanted to do squats for you to stand in the one place for them to safely do them for OHP it is rude esp when there are other options for OHP but not so much for squats.

No. Your line of thinking is incorrect. It is perfectly acceptable gym etiquette to use the squat rack for the following: squats, lunges, OHP, push-press, and probably a few others that are escaping me right now. The point of a squat rack is to be able to set a bar at a certain height and then lift. It's not just for squats.

no it's not actually...any gym I've belonged to it was very poor etiquette to do that in a squat rack...power cage perhaps was more acceptable...but not the squat rack.

Travis_2 wrote: »
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.

yes they do..but just cause you pay for a gym membership doesn't mean you own it and can do what you want whenever you want...it would be different if there are multiple racks but in this case there is only one and everyone has to admit if you knew that someone wanted to do squats for you to stand in the one place for them to safely do them for OHP it is rude esp when there are other options for OHP but not so much for squats.

Works out at home.

Tells the world how to gym.

tumblr_inline_mo49b3Jmv31qz4rgp.jpg

Yup I work out at home because of this sort of thing...I got sick and tired of having my workouts delayed due to people hogging equipment. I've belonged to a number of gyms from Manitoba to NB...2 in my home town...prefer the solace of my workout room with my own squat rack that I can do anything in if I want...

So, would it be any better if I decided to do a high volume squat workout with say Squats, and Front Squats back to back?

I'd rather wait 10 minutes for someone doing OHP, as opposed to 30 mins for a high volume squat session.

as for this yes it would be as bad...and you know it. Esp if you didn't let someone work in while you were hogging the ONLY squat rack...

Come on people..are you really gonna say if there is only one squat rack in the entire gym that it is perfectly acceptable to take up that piece of equipment for OHP when someone is waiting for it to do squats????

Really???? wow....

I know I am Canadian and we are "too polite" but really...*smh*

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    jhc7324 wrote: »
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    OHP? Go for it.

How do you deadlift in a squat rack?

I've seen this in the power cage at my gym. You remove the safety bars, lay the bar on the floor and do deadlifts inside the cage, but not using any part of it. This is for people who apparently don't realize you can take a bar off the rack and go to an empty area of floor and deadlift there without taking up equipment.

I used to deadlift in the power rack, but that was the only rack we had and the only bar we had. If I take the bar out of the power rack, no one really has a need for the power rack right? Power rack with no bar is kind of useless. Also, our gym was pretty small and there was no free space to take the bar. Gym has since moved to a larger location, still only one rack, but we have an extra bar...now I deadlift with that.

• SezxyStef
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Mine has 2 squat racks and a power rack. I damn sure OHP in the squat rack... and I row in the squat rack. Come at me bro!

in your case there is more than one place to squat ...if that were the case I would say have at but in this case one squat rack, no cage...and a smith machine.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Works out at home.

Haha spot on!
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    OHP? Go for it.

I've seen this in the power cage at my gym. You remove the safety bars, lay the bar on the floor and do deadlifts inside the cage, but not using any part of it. This is for people who apparently don't realize you can take a bar off the rack and go to an empty area of floor and deadlift there without taking up equipment.

I used to deadlift in the power rack, but that was the only rack we had and the only bar we had. If I take the bar out of the power rack, no one really has a need for the power rack right? Power rack with no bar is kind of useless. Also, our gym was pretty small and there was no free space to take the bar. Gym has since moved to a larger location, still only one rack, but we have an extra bar...now I deadlift with that.

power rack with no bar= useless!? Girl, you can yoga, circuit train, eat, and sit in a power cage!!! seesh, don't make the poor power cages feel useless.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you're legitimately using it for safety reasons, then do whatever you want to in it and people can just deal with it. But be respectful - if people are waiting for it, get in, do you work, then get out so other people can use it... don't dilly dally.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I do lunges in the squat rack. I'm a safety girl.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Ilikelamps wrote: »
    Alidecker wrote: »
    OHP? Go for it.

power rack with no bar= useless!? Girl, you can yoga, circuit train, eat, and sit in a power cage!!! seesh, don't make the poor power cages feel useless.

Perfect, I will go back to deadlifting in the power rack and let people squat elsewhere. :wink:
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Works out at home.

Haha spot on!

Haha love how you all assume I know nothing about gyms...because I work out at home because I can...not out of necessity...we have a gym at work, we have 3 within 10mins of my house and I've been a member of all of them...currently have a membership at one I have yet to activate.

I love the quiet non disruptive workouts I get at home thanks...and when I outgrow my current plates I will just go buy new ones not a big deal they are only 1$ a lb...not like they spoil or get outdated..