Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Travis_2 wrote: »
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.
    I guess as long as you don't mind them saying no.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.

They pay for the gym as well, no?

yes they do..but just cause you pay for a gym membership doesn't mean you own it and can do what you want whenever you want...it would be different if there are multiple racks but in this case there is only one and everyone has to admit if you knew that someone wanted to do squats for you to stand in the one place for them to safely do them for OHP it is rude esp when there are other options for OHP but not so much for squats.

Works out at home.

Tells the world how to gym.

tumblr_inline_mo49b3Jmv31qz4rgp.jpg

Haha spot on!

Haha love how you all assume I know nothing about gyms...because I work out at home because I can...not out of necessity...we have a gym at work, we have 3 within 10mins of my house and I've been a member of all of them...currently have a membership at one I have yet to activate.

I love the quiet non disruptive workouts I get at home thanks...and when I outgrow my current plates I will just go buy new ones not a big deal they are only 1$ a lb...not like they spoil or get outdated..

you seem to know a lot about gyms..but do you know the dimensions, membership charge, and number of stair masters at the gym located at 555 Hollywood Blvd in Los Angeles?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Come on people..are you really gonna say if there is only one squat rack in the entire gym that it is perfectly acceptable to take up that piece of equipment for OHP when someone is waiting for it to do squats????

Really???? wow....

I know I am Canadian and we are "too polite" but really...*smh*

You are far too hung up on the name "squat" rack. I hope you don't drink tea or hot chocolate out of a coffee cup. Or cut anything but steak with a steak knife. Or spread anything but butter with a butter knife.
  • _riddikulus_
    _riddikulus_ Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Docmahi wrote: »
    I can't believe people are so mean and judgmental about gym etiquette. last time I was at the gym I was doing some circuit training in the squat rack thing and this guy came over and asked me to move. I said no because it's the best place for my resistance bands (there's nowhere else you can really do that at my gym) and he got super upset with me. people just need to let me do my thing!!

I want to ask you about piercings but i think ppl here would be extra confused

you're supposed to message me about my piercings!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    OHP? Go for it.

What's been ticking me off lately are the people who will do their DLs in the rack--not using any part of the rack at all.

There are extra bars for a reason. Use them. Elsewhere.

I DL in the power rack all the time, not because I'm obnoxious, but because with the way the weight room is set up, there is nowhere else to deadlift. I imagine that's why everyone DL's there (well, the handful of people I've ever seen deadlift). Hardly anyone seems to squat either (while I'm there, at least), but that's beside the point. It likely explains why they have three flat benches, an incline, and a decline, but only one power rack and a Smith machine.

The moral of my story is that it's silly to assume a One Rule Fits All approach to gym etiquette, as not all gyms are the same (nor are all gym goers).

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Come on people..are you really gonna say if there is only one squat rack in the entire gym that it is perfectly acceptable to take up that piece of equipment for OHP when someone is waiting for it to do squats????

Really???? wow....

I know I am Canadian and we are "too polite" but really...*smh*

You are far too hung up on the name "squat" rack. I hope you don't drink tea or hot chocolate out of a coffee cup. Or cut anything but steak with a steak knife. Or spread anything but butter with a butter knife.

not really I ohp in my squat rack at home...I am hung up on the fact there is only one at the gym and people say yes it's fine to use it for something else when someone is waiting for it when that something else could be done elsewhere but the person waiting has no choice...

Other than that have at...

Or I suppose that the person waiting to do squats in the one rack could do this...

j1irad17en0u.jpg

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The moral of my story is that it's silly to assume a One Rule Fits All approach to gym etiquette, as not all gyms are the same (nor are all gym goers).

QFT!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    the squat rack is for squats hence the name ... dont be that person who does arm curls and shoulder work out's in the squat rack. especially if there is only one ! use the smith for shoulders that is fine but leave the squat rack for squatters :)

wut. no. i'm not sure you'd even be able to get full rom in a smith, and at 6'1", i'd run out of height.

there's only one rack at my gym too, and that's where i do my ohp. if its taken up, i just clean the first rep.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I can't believe people are so mean and judgmental about gym etiquette. last time I was at the gym I was doing some circuit training in the squat rack thing and this guy came over and asked me to move. I said no because it's the best place for my resistance bands (there's nowhere else you can really do that at my gym) and he got super upset with me. people just need to let me do my thing!!
    Ummmm sorry but that's completely different. Go use a door knob of something for your resistance bands.

oh any type of knob for that matter
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Haha love how you all assume I know nothing about gyms...because I work out at home because I can...not out of necessity...we have a gym at work, we have 3 within 10mins of my house and I've been a member of all of them...currently have a membership at one I have yet to activate.

I love the quiet non disruptive workouts I get at home thanks...and when I outgrow my current plates I will just go buy new ones not a big deal they are only 1$ a lb...not like they spoil or get outdated..

Not to mention benching your 9 year old nephew in a conventional gym might be frowned upon.

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    OHP? Go for it.

What's been ticking me off lately are the people who will do their DLs in the rack--not using any part of the rack at all.

There are extra bars for a reason. Use them. Elsewhere.

I DL in the power rack all the time, not because I'm obnoxious, but because with the way the weight room is set up, there is nowhere else to deadlift. I imagine that's why everyone DL's there (well, the handful of people I've ever seen deadlift). Hardly anyone seems to squat either (while I'm there, at least), but that's beside the point. It likely explains why they have three flat benches, an incline, and a decline, but only one power rack and a Smith machine.

I wish I could say the same were true for everyone. There is plenty of other places to DL at my gym. I know because I do it. Understandable though if there really is no other place or no other bars to DL with.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Gym etiquette basically is first come first serve, however that also means taking into consideration how much time you spend using the squat rack. I've seen people stay in a rack for an hour, which isn't good etiquette if it's the only one.
    If you're just doing 4 sets or so in about 15 minutes, then you should be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Yup I agree with this..my gym my rules when I go to a gym I follow their rules.

• SezxyStef
    Options
    dsalveson wrote: »

Not to mention benching your 9 year old nephew in a conventional gym might be frowned upon.

we so need a like button...he was surprised tho...;)

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    the squat rack is for squats hence the name ... dont be that person who does arm curls and shoulder work out's in the squat rack. especially if there is only one ! use the smith for shoulders that is fine but leave the squat rack for squatters :)
    The smith machine is for smiths. It's rude to hog it to do shoulders!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Another good strategy is to do exercises you like toward the end of the week because gyms are usually emptier. Mondays and Tuesdays are usually very packed and it's usually starts to taper down in attendance each day till Saturday morning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kiwiinmn
    kiwiinmn Posts: 3
    Options
    Sounds like most of you are working out in those lousey little 24/7 pretend gyms, with a power rack a smith machine, and 75% of the floor space taken up with cardio equipment. The only time is it cool to use the 1 squat rack or power rack in a gym to OHP is if there is no one around that could potentially want to squat. If olympic lifters don't have to use a squat rack to press heavy weigh over head then the average joe shouldnt have to use it to life the baby weights most people use. Prctically 95% of these places will have a should press machine, or bench, a FID bench and more DB'd than you'll ever be able to life over head. Once you can repeatedly life the 100lb dbs over your head you have earned the right to take up space in the power rack to ohp.
    I have to add that the one thing worse than using the power rack for ohp is using it for 315lb shrugs when the same guy cannot squat that weight.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to clean the bar for OHP; I use the racks for it. I've never considered it to be an inappropriate use of the equipment.

People use the power racks for deads and rack pulls and cleans and rows and all kinds of stuff that aren't squats.

I think people hate curling in the squat rack because it's curls, and it's rarely done with enough weight to justify using the rack. If someone was curling 135 in the squat rack I'd mentally high five them.