Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    OHP? Go for it.

What's been ticking me off lately are the people who will do their DLs in the rack--not using any part of the rack at all.

There are extra bars for a reason. Use them. Elsewhere.

How do you deadlift in a squat rack?

It's a power rack. We have one of those and no other racks. We do have smith machine, but...yeah.

EDIT: Sometimes, I've seen people do their DLs in the power rack, and sometimes I've seen them DL right in front of the rack. This effectively makes using it impossible. Usually it's the people who think it's ok to include the single power rack as part of their circuit training. They're allowed their opinion. I just happen to disagree with that practice.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    OHP? Go for it.

What's been ticking me off lately are the people who will do their DLs in the rack--not using any part of the rack at all.

I think a lot of people are blending squat rack and power racks together. The kind where you can remove the safety racks...
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    OHP? Go for it.

I've seen this in the power cage at my gym. You remove the safety bars, lay the bar on the floor and do deadlifts inside the cage, but not using any part of it. This is for people who apparently don't realize you can take a bar off the rack and go to an empty area of floor and deadlift there without taking up equipment.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OHP? Go for it.

I think a lot of people are blending squat rack and power racks together. The kind where you can remove the safety racks...

Is power rack=power cage?
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    OHP? Go for it.

It's a power rack. We have one of those and no other racks. We do have smith machine, but...yeah.

People do it in my gym, too. I really don't get it because they are not actually using the rack during any part of the lift. Its a little frustrating when I'm on a time crunch and just wanting to get my workout done.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    OHP? Go for it.

Oh, ok.. I was confused because I'm thinking rack pull, sure, but deadlift...no.
  • _riddikulus_
    _riddikulus_ Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are so mean and judgmental about gym etiquette. last time I was at the gym I was doing some circuit training in the squat rack thing and this guy came over and asked me to move. I said no because it's the best place for my resistance bands (there's nowhere else you can really do that at my gym) and he got super upset with me. people just need to let me do my thing!!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are so mean and judgmental about gym etiquette. last time I was at the gym I was doing some circuit training in the squat rack thing and this guy came over and asked me to move. I said no because it's the best place for my resistance bands (there's nowhere else you can really do that at my gym) and he got super upset with me. people just need to let me do my thing!!

I can't say that I blame him. Just my two cents.

• LolBroScience
    Options

That's so fleek!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I do my ohp in a rack. No one has ever complained or given me dirty looks. A couple of times, someone has been patiently waiting to use it, so I hurried up and finished up. They would have had to wait if I was using it to squat.

I did hear someone yell at a woman who set-up the rack, left it, went to warm-up on the treadmill for 15 minutes,then come back and expect the rack to be free. Totally legit to yell at her; that was rude.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

DO YOU EVEN FITNESS
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.
    I guess as long as you don't mind them saying no.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.

They pay for the gym as well, no?

yes they do..but just cause you pay for a gym membership doesn't mean you own it and can do what you want whenever you want...it would be different if there are multiple racks but in this case there is only one and everyone has to admit if you knew that someone wanted to do squats for you to stand in the one place for them to safely do them for OHP it is rude esp when there are other options for OHP but not so much for squats.
  • LolBroScience
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.

yes they do..but just cause you pay for a gym membership doesn't mean you own it and can do what you want whenever you want...it would be different if there are multiple racks but in this case there is only one and everyone has to admit if you knew that someone wanted to do squats for you to stand in the one place for them to safely do them for OHP it is rude esp when there are other options for OHP but not so much for squats.

So, would it be any better if I decided to do a high volume squat workout with say Squats, and Front Squats back to back?

I'd rather wait 10 minutes for someone doing OHP, as opposed to 30 mins for a high volume squat session.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No. Your line of thinking is incorrect. It is perfectly acceptable gym etiquette to use the squat rack for the following: squats, lunges, OHP, push-press, and probably a few others that are escaping me right now. The point of a squat rack is to be able to set a bar at a certain height and then lift. It's not just for squats.
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options

Works out at home.

Tells the world how to gym.

tumblr_inline_mo49b3Jmv31qz4rgp.jpg
  • _riddikulus_
    _riddikulus_ Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

DO YOU EVEN FITNESS

that's really offensive since I actually do a lot of yoga.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Travis_2 wrote: »

Works out at home.

Tells the world how to gym.

tumblr_inline_mo49b3Jmv31qz4rgp.jpg

Lmao
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

DO YOU EVEN FITNESS

probably in the squat rack.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

DO YOU EVEN FITNESS

But...are you serious?

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I did not intend for this thread to get so...

volatile