Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I think I'll invent an OHP rack...

adsmx5cuampq.jpg

Too late. My gym has a rack pretty much identical to that one, except it has additional fixed pins at my upper-thigh height. It's almost useless, except it's so much nicer to put the weights on the bar when the bar is off of the ground.

I use it to set up for bent over rows and deadlifts if the deadlift area is busy.

Or as a warmup area if the other squat racks and the power cage are busy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    dalhectar wrote: »
    To all the people that say it's wrong, where are you supposed to OHP? You can't do an OHP from a bench.

Where should you squat when someone is OHP in squat rack?

Actually seated OHP is a exercise that can be done from a bench.

Where should someone squat when someone squatting is in the squat rack?

So then no one should complaining when someone is using the squat rack to do any exercise?

Strawman.

Where did I say/imply that?
    I never said you did. I didn't imply anything. I asked a question.

What you did imply was that OHP and squats go hand in hand in the squat rack which I totally disagree with.

No I did not and yes you did.
    To all the people that say it's wrong, where are you supposed to OHP? You can't do an OHP from a bench.

So what was this question? A joke? Sarcasm? Did I interpet this wrong?

Neither. I was making a point that people have to wait if a power cage/squat rack is being used, or just work in.

It's probably easier to work in with someone OHP'ing.

For example, my OHP can be as quick as 10 minutes if someone is waiting. The person wanting to squat can do their warm ups during this time - either using the weight I have on the bar, or adding more. It is no real difference than working in with someone squatting - but much quicker - so timing is probably such that it is less of a disruption to their routine.

Also, I have no idea where you went from OHP/Squats to any lift/squats. I never said or implied that.

You asked a question earlier we how much you can lift from pins v cleaning the bar. I can lift more from pins and have less chance of injury. If I am doing OHP, I am training OHP. I am not training cleans. I need pins to get a decent OHP session in. I do not care where the pins are - but usually they are on the squat rack/power cage, so that is where I will press. However, as with any lift you are doing, you need to be respectful to other lifters and allow them to work in where possible. I also think that you should try to adapt your routine as much as you can to allow for squatters to use the power cage/squat rack - but within reason.

Your first sentence.
    Neither. I was making a point that people have to wait if a power cage/squat rack is being used, or just work in.
    [/b]

So if we are waiting or working in then we cannot complain when people use the rack to do any exercise.

interesting with your pins vs cleans.

Also I know your not using me per say but I only squat in the racks.

What is it with the strawmen?

Again...where did I say/imply that? If you read my response, it should be pretty clear that I did not.

You may only squat in the racks. I also do OHPs, for reasons already noted.
    While yes you are only talking about OHP and Squats I was not. I was talking about any exercise in the rack.

For example. today is squat day for me on 5/3/1 program. I know 100% that when I go to the gym today that the rack will be in use. My gym only has one because we love to be a weak community college. 90% of the time it not squats or rack pulls. I'm going to ask how many sets person has doing whatever exercise it is. If another bar is available I will do my warm up sets with dl,clean,OHP to back squat. It gets to a certain point where I need to pins. People do notice that in the past and have given up doing something other then squats in the rack so I could continue to increase weight in the rack. It usually the person either curling or doing shoulder shrugs in the rack. Thinking about gym goers at my gym, people are not OHP in the squat rack.

As much as I like to work in with someone it would almost take more time to lift than I lift, change weight, then set timer to 60 seconds.

And my post responded.

If you want me to lay it out for you.....no, not any exercise but I am not even sure why you are asking me as its a silly question imo.

Not sure why you are setting a timer for 60 seconds either tbh.

It is the way I use rest periods. I like to keep them very short on strength days. I even keep them short on a max day until like 95% of max then I bump timer up to 2 minutes for max lifts.

No way can I do 60 second rests even on hyper days on working sets and definitely not on strength days - not even 2 minutes. I rest up to 10 minutes between some sets for strength days.

Yeah max days are interesting when I decide if I am ready to re attempt a failed lift with such low amount of rest.

perhaps rest longer and you won't be as apt to fail a lift

logic is not allowed on MFP.

so GTFO.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

So then no one should complaining when someone is using the squat rack to do any exercise?

Strawman.

What you did imply was that OHP and squats go hand in hand in the squat rack which I totally disagree with.

For example, my OHP can be as quick as 10 minutes if someone is waiting. The person wanting to squat can do their warm ups during this time - either using the weight I have on the bar, or adding more. It is no real difference than working in with someone squatting - but much quicker - so timing is probably such that it is less of a disruption to their routine.

Also, I have no idea where you went from OHP/Squats to any lift/squats. I never said or implied that.

You asked a question earlier we how much you can lift from pins v cleaning the bar. I can lift more from pins and have less chance of injury. If I am doing OHP, I am training OHP. I am not training cleans. I need pins to get a decent OHP session in. I do not care where the pins are - but usually they are on the squat rack/power cage, so that is where I will press. However, as with any lift you are doing, you need to be respectful to other lifters and allow them to work in where possible. I also think that you should try to adapt your routine as much as you can to allow for squatters to use the power cage/squat rack - but within reason.

Your first sentence.
    [/b]

So if we are waiting or working in then we cannot complain when people use the rack to do any exercise.

Again...where did I say/imply that? If you read my response, it should be pretty clear that I did not.

While yes you are only talking about OHP and Squats I was not. I was talking about any exercise in the rack.

For example. today is squat day for me on 5/3/1 program. I know 100% that when I go to the gym today that the rack will be in use. My gym only has one because we love to be a weak community college. 90% of the time it not squats or rack pulls. I'm going to ask how many sets person has doing whatever exercise it is. If another bar is available I will do my warm up sets with dl,clean,OHP to back squat. It gets to a certain point where I need to pins. People do notice that in the past and have given up doing something other then squats in the rack so I could continue to increase weight in the rack. It usually the person either curling or doing shoulder shrugs in the rack. Thinking about gym goers at my gym, people are not OHP in the squat rack.

As much as I like to work in with someone it would almost take more time to lift than I lift, change weight, then set timer to 60 seconds.

And my post responded.

If you want me to lay it out for you.....no, not any exercise but I am not even sure why you are asking me as its a silly question imo.

It is the way I use rest periods. I like to keep them very short on strength days. I even keep them short on a max day until like 95% of max then I bump timer up to 2 minutes for max lifts.

No way can I do 60 second rests even on hyper days on working sets and definitely not on strength days - not even 2 minutes. I rest up to 10 minutes between some sets for strength days.

Yeah max days are interesting when I decide if I am ready to re attempt a failed lift with such low amount of rest.

Max days are always till a fail lift.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Strawman.

Your first sentence.
    [/b]

And my post responded.

I don't plan to use short rest intervals but I do sometimes out of necessity. I have a lot of other things going on so I don't always have the time to train that I'd like. On those days I rest long enough to add some more weight to the bar and that's it.

I'm not sure why everyone's tripping on it so bad though. It's not like you're telling them that they have to take short rest periods.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    :raises hand:

I too, use a timer, as we have no clock in the heavy area of my gym.

That's just because I want some level of consistency - I have a minimum rest period (depending on lift, %RM, reps) - but still go with feel. If I'm not feeling it after whatever rest period, I wait a little longer.

And yeah - for anything resembling a max lift? It's at least 5 minutes - often a bit longer.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Strawman.

Your first sentence.
    [/b]

And my post responded.

Max days are always till a fail lift.

Obviously.... but resting longer in between the attempts instead of 2 minutes can potentially yield a higher 1RM.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Because the OHP is the bane of my existence and because I sometimes struggle just to increase my lift by a measly 5 lbs, hell yes I use the squat rack. I am actually using the pegs and it is assisting me in the lift as opposed to curls. I am not about to clean and jerk it up and expell that energy that I could use to increase my lift. Unracking from a bench or jerking isn't ideal for me at this point. Luckily for me, there is rarely anyone using the rack at my gym anyway.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Because the OHP is the bane of my existence and because I sometimes struggle just to increase my lift by a measly 5 lbs, hell yes I use the squat rack. I am actually using the pegs and it is assisting me in the lift as opposed to curls. I am not about to clean and jerk it up and expell that energy that I could use to increase my lift. Unracking from a bench or jerking isn't ideal for me at this point. Luckily for me, there is rarely anyone using the rack at my gym anyway.
    1.25lb weights were the best investment I ever made when I started lifting (well, besides the gym membership).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    My gym only has 1 squat rack. There isn't a power rack, there's a smith machine but I haven't heard good things about them.

Is it considered bad gym etiquette to do OHP in the squat rack? Cleaning the bar is getting quite tiresome and I'm just dreading the day something goes wrong when I can't get a rep out or something.

The squat rack I use is too short to OHP in, so I just set the pins on the outside ("front") of the rack and do it out there. I mean if you miss a rep you're just going to lower it back to your shoulders anyway, right? And if someone doesn't mind you being behind them then you could even OHP in front of the rack while they squat inside it.

I mean is everyone expected to power clean every OHP set? lulz

edit: was thinking power rack. for just a squat rack, idk, just hope no one asks you to leave, I guess.

nope they can use the bench if it is setup properly (similar to pic below)
    ywzebia8u34z.jpg

...that's what I did until I got my squat rack at home.

I don't have issues with OHP'ing in the rack...even if there is just one rack...but if someone is waiting to do squats I would let them in and do what I mentioned above...because no I don't want to clean 90-100lbs (my OHP) for more than a couple reps...

If I wanted to do squats...I would ask them to either work me in or leave it for me as I needed it more than them...but that's only if there was one rack...

I have tried to unrack from benches before - unfortunately, the bench is too far back and I cannot get a good position - I end up having to lean over which is not ideal at all. If it is set up so you can, then I would try - but then again, you are now using a bench and the benchers will start complaining!!

Yah it's not ideal but worked for a while..wouldn't want to try it now that i have my own personal squat rack... :D

Me too - I have a power cage in my dining room (along with a commercial lat pull down/seated cable row, calf raise machine and deadlift platform lol).

I still occasionally lift in gyms - but only when working out with others and luckily have never had issues with people waiting to use squat racks or power cages in them (either because they were PL'ing gyms and had a bunch or because most people did not squat).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »

Strawman.

Your first sentence.
    [/b]

And my post responded.

I don't plan to use short rest intervals but I do sometimes out of necessity. I have a lot of other things going on so I don't always have the time to train that I'd like. On those days I rest long enough to add some more weight to the bar and that's it.

I'm not sure why everyone's tripping on it so bad though. It's not like you're telling them that they have to take short rest periods.

above 95%- is obviously pushing the 1RPM

not sure who goes in and lifts at 95% or higher with the intent of making it a short lift. That seems mighty counter productive. If you don't have much time- go do an effective lift.... lifting that high on strong days with a truncated time line is asking for injury.

And training to failure regularly is NOT productive either- that's a proven fact for someone trying to get stronger.
  • stealthq
    Options
    Question. Has anyone ever notice if you do both ways to OHP that having the bar start at rack position helping putting up anymore weigh?

for example if I knew that I could do 10 more pounds with an extra rep or two from rack position than from ground then why not start from rack position.

It helps me get out a couple of extra reps. It wouldn't let me add another 5 lbs to what I already do.*

* Using OHP as an accessory exercise, so lifting lower weight, higher reps. YMMV.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

adsmx5cuampq.jpg

Too late. My gym has a rack pretty much identical to that one, except it has additional fixed pins at my upper-thigh height. It's almost useless, except it's so much nicer to put the weights on the bar when the bar is off of the ground.

I use it to set up for bent over rows and deadlifts if the deadlift area is busy.

I would not call it useless. You can use it to OHP or even use to squat if you are not planning to get near to failure, especially fronts.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    My gym only has 1 squat rack. There isn't a power rack, there's a smith machine but I haven't heard good things about them.

Is it considered bad gym etiquette to do OHP in the squat rack? Cleaning the bar is getting quite tiresome and I'm just dreading the day something goes wrong when I can't get a rep out or something.

The squat rack I use is too short to OHP in, so I just set the pins on the outside ("front") of the rack and do it out there. I mean if you miss a rep you're just going to lower it back to your shoulders anyway, right? And if someone doesn't mind you being behind them then you could even OHP in front of the rack while they squat inside it.

edit: was thinking power rack. for just a squat rack, idk, just hope no one asks you to leave, I guess.

ywzebia8u34z.jpg

I don't have issues with OHP'ing in the rack...even if there is just one rack...but if someone is waiting to do squats I would let them in and do what I mentioned above...because no I don't want to clean 90-100lbs (my OHP) for more than a couple reps...

If I wanted to do squats...I would ask them to either work me in or leave it for me as I needed it more than them...but that's only if there was one rack...

I have tried to unrack from benches before - unfortunately, the bench is too far back and I cannot get a good position - I end up having to lean over which is not ideal at all. If it is set up so you can, then I would try - but then again, you are now using a bench and the benchers will start complaining!!

Yah it's not ideal but worked for a while..wouldn't want to try it now that i have my own personal squat rack... :D

Me too - I have a power cage in my dining room (along with a commercial lat pull down/seated cable row, calf raise machine and deadlift platform lol).

I still occasionally lift in gyms - but only when working out with others and luckily have never had issues with people waiting to use squat racks or power cages in them (either because they were PL'ing gyms and had a bunch or because most people did not squat).

Yup, going to a gym takes way more time and effort than walking across my living room to my power rack. And nobody cares if I OHP with it. Or in it. :trollface:
  • stealthq
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

adsmx5cuampq.jpg

I would not call it useless. You can use it to OHP or even use to squat if you are not planning to get near to failure, especially fronts.

True - except that I won't OHP with a barbell without safety pins since I flubbed it that one time when I wasn't anywhere near failure. Got bumped, lost control. Safety pins to the rescue.

And I will squat in it if I'm nowhere near failure and there's no other good option - that's my warmup.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

I agree with most of this, although, it is not the bane of my existence, it's one of my favorite exercises. But, I don't know why it bothers people so much. I am not going to clean the weight and waste my energy doing that. I already to power cleans as their own exercise on a different day from OHP day. People love me so much because OHP day is also front squat day, so I occupy my squat rack for a long time.

At least for most females, it takes longer to progress with it.
    That's why I hate OHP since even with fractionals, it takes forever to progress.

ywzebia8u34z.jpg

Yup, going to a gym takes way more time and effort than walking across my living room to my power rack. And nobody cares if I OHP with it. Or in it. :trollface:

Love lifting in my basement.
    Except now I have to do seated OHP since my ceiling is too low for standing.
    Maybe if I was 5'2", it'd be ok lol
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.
    I guess as long as you don't mind them saying no.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.

They pay for the gym as well, no?

yes they do..but just cause you pay for a gym membership doesn't mean you own it and can do what you want whenever you want...it would be different if there are multiple racks but in this case there is only one and everyone has to admit if you knew that someone wanted to do squats for you to stand in the one place for them to safely do them for OHP it is rude esp when there are other options for OHP but not so much for squats.

So, would it be any better if I decided to do a high volume squat workout with say Squats, and Front Squats back to back?

I'd rather wait 10 minutes for someone doing OHP, as opposed to 30 mins for a high volume squat session.

I had this the other day. A girl was doing a heavy squatting session in the rack (impressive weight!) but she was in there the whole time I was in the gym. After about an hour I got fed up and did my squats in the smith machine, which sucked.

Its conflicting for me.

On one hand, full respect to her for being so serious about her fitness. And of course, she pays her money and has every right to use the equipment. On the other, with only one rack in the gym, isnt it a bit selfish to take the rack for so long at busy times?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.

yes they do..but just cause you pay for a gym membership doesn't mean you own it and can do what you want whenever you want...it would be different if there are multiple racks but in this case there is only one and everyone has to admit if you knew that someone wanted to do squats for you to stand in the one place for them to safely do them for OHP it is rude esp when there are other options for OHP but not so much for squats.

So, would it be any better if I decided to do a high volume squat workout with say Squats, and Front Squats back to back?

I'd rather wait 10 minutes for someone doing OHP, as opposed to 30 mins for a high volume squat session.

I had this the other day. A girl was doing a heavy squatting session in the rack (impressive weight!) but she was in there the whole time I was in the gym. After about an hour I got fed up and did my squats in the smith machine, which sucked.

Its conflicting for me.

On one hand, full respect to her for being so serious about her fitness. And of course, she pays her money and has every right to use the equipment. On the other, with only one rack in the gym, isnt it a bit selfish to take the rack for so long at busy times?

Why not ask her to work in?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Its conflicting for me.

No. That's the risk you take when you belong to a gym with one rack. Your time in the rack could be perceived as selfish to someone else too, but that doesn't make it so.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you’re so worried about what’s going on in the squat rack, you’re probably a good candidate for a home gym.