Terrified to hit my calories for the day

Options

Replies

• petee5854
    petee5854 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I've begun getting terrified to hit my calorie allotment for the day.

I have 100lbs to lose, which I would like to do by this time next year.
    I'm tracking every single thing I put in my mouth, but I never seem to get to my calories.
    I will research all day what to cook for dinner to have the smallest amount of calories, I fear I may have changed my mindset from not caring to caring WAY too much. I shouldn't be terrified to eat.

Anyone else get these feelings?

It took me 2 years and 9 months to lose 121 pounds.

And it took ME over a year of walking and eating better just to lose 30+ pounds...Hang in there!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't be scared to eat...calories are just a unit of energy, they aren't the devil...you need energy (calories) to exist.

Also, I'd toss out time deadline. Weight loss isn't linear...to boot, you are going to have good days and bad days and good weeks and bad weeks, etc. You are going to miss workouts, you are going to go to a party or holiday or BBQ or whatever...you aren't going to be bang on 100% all of the time and expecting you will is simply not realistic.

Maybe just focus on the process and being a little better today than you were yesterday. All of that other stuff and worrying about time deadlines, etc is just going to add stress and anxiety to the process unnecessarily.

It took me 9 months to lose about 40 Lbs.
  • courtneyallisonatx
    courtneyallisonatx Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your concern and responses!
    I appreciate you all!
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Relax woman! Stressing out is bad for our weight loss (QUEEN stresser here).
    Agree! Stop and take a few deep breaths. Of course you are freaking out. Look at what we've been taught about eating, weight loss, etc. No matter what we do, we are doing it wrong. This is what we've been taught. Find help for these feelings. I've been there and couldn't start shaking any of that off until I searched for what could really help me. PM me and I'll share more.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,894 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 years and 9 months to lose 121 pounds.[/quote]
    ^^
    This

You have 100lbs to lose, you want to do it in 1 year, plus you're terrified of not meeting the target and failing for the 900th time!

What are the chances that you're not plugged in at 2lbs a week?

Given that 2lbs a week is less than 1% of your body weight, it may be safe for you--ON PAPER!

But a 1000 calorie a day deficit doesn't help you stick to the program.

Let me guess here: you probably not eating back your actual net exercise calories, are you? So your actual daily deficit is what? 1200? 1400? 1500?

Instead of maximizing your chances of achieving this life change by dialing in a substantial but sane 20% or so caloric deficit, you are pushing things, and creating a deficit that is closer to 50%

You know why you're scared of failing? Because you should be!

While I am sure that at least one or two people on MFP have eaten for a full year at 50% off TDEE, the other 998 who tried to do so didn't make it!

Instead of giving yourself every chance to succeed by making a transition to a better and healthier lifestyle first (and worrying about the RATE of weight loss a far distant second) you are forcing the issue with artificial deadlines and increasing your chance of falling off the wagon.

You are not on a diet. If you think you're on a diet when you succeed in losing your 100lbs you will stop being on one, and you will gain it all back.

Take the time to incrementally change your relationship with food and exercise, forget jumping into heroic diets, persevere in reaching for your reasonable goals, and WIN!

And if you are hell bent in viewing the number MFP gives you as an inviolate limit, then at the very least dial down your weight loss target to a 1lb a week.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    100 pounds in a year is doomed for failure. Once I lost 25 pounds in three months, but I was a crazed woman determined to look good for my son's last minute wedding announcement, walking 20,000 steps a day, eating less than 1,000 calories a day, and doing the exerbike at least half an hour or more every night. It worked - I lost the 25 pounds - and then I gained 50. Then another ten for a total of 60 pounds. Now I've lost 23 but I'm doing it the right way - slow and easy.
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options

I'm tracking every single thing I put in my mouth, but I never seem to get to my calories.
    I will research all day what to cook for dinner to have the smallest amount of calories, I fear I may have changed my mindset from not caring to caring WAY too much. I shouldn't be terrified to eat.

Hi. I feel like this too. I find myself worrying more about how many calories will it take up if I eat this. I mean it's good to keep in mind since this is based on calories taken in and calories needed etc.... But I think I'm nervous to eat. Crazy huh? Once I get near my limit usually at around 500cal. I start worrying. Would like to hear others thoughts on this. Will it stop?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    100 pounds in a year is doomed for failure. Once I lost 25 pounds in three months, but I was a crazed woman determined to look good for my son's last minute wedding announcement, walking 20,000 steps a day, eating less than 1,000 calories a day, and doing the exerbike at least half an hour or more every night. It worked - I lost the 25 pounds - and then I gained 50. Then another ten for a total of 60 pounds. Now I've lost 23 but I'm doing it the right way - slow and easy.

two pounds a week times 52 weeks = 104 pounds …assuming she loses two pounds a week ..

likely yes, but probably a little too aggressive.

but way to be supportive and condemn OP to failure…

wow….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback and replies.
    I do have to point out, I don't want to do this, its not like I am actively trying to not hit my goal calories for the sake of losing more weight.
    I get obsessive about things, I'm not doing this saying "I'm going to miss my calories on purpose"

Its more that I'm scared (anxious), not that I don't want to hit them.

are you getting sucked into the eat clean/healthy only mantra?

honestly, if you go over by 50 to 100 calories on a given day that is not the end of the world..

what is your calorie goal that MFP gave you?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I do have to point out, I don't want to do this, its not like I am actively trying to not hit my goal calories for the sake of losing more weight.
    I get obsessive about things, I'm not doing this saying "I'm going to miss my calories on purpose"

honestly, if you go over by 50 to 100 calories on a given day that is not the end of the world..

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

two pounds a week times 52 weeks = 104 pounds …assuming she loses two pounds a week ..

wow….

100 pounds in one year is not an unrealistic target. That's less than the two pounds a week "healthy weight loss" goal that's repeated over and over again on MFP, and it doesn't even take into account the fact that people with that much to lose can lose a lot faster at first.

"Doomed for failure"? Just because you couldn't do it doesn't mean someone else can't.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I have done, but what has helped is playing around with my settings for speed of weight loss and maintenence and memorising what those calorie goals are, and it helps put it into perspective, so say if I'm over 1,200 (for 2lbs per week) then it doesn't matter so much as long as I'm still under 1,920 (maintenence before exercise) and even if I eat an extra 440cals then I'm still losing, but by 1/2 a pound a week, or an extra 190 by a pound a week- hope that makes sense! :)

I do this too. Just remember to look up your maintenance again every few pounds.

OP, eat the calories you're given. Work out to earn more. And if you have a day where you're eating more calories than usual, don't sweat it. You probably will still lose or at the very least not gain.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    petee5854 wrote: »

It took me 2 years and 9 months to lose 121 pounds.

And it took ME over a year of walking and eating better just to lose 30+ pounds...Hang in there!!!

It's taken me 7 months to lose almost 50 and will probably take another 7 months to lose my last 20. Or maybe it will take longer. I don't care. I'm in a much better place than I was.
  • courtneyallisonatx
    Options
    I appreciate you all!

My calorie goal given by MFP is 1750, I normally eat around 1100, I've gone over once or twice.

I eat a lot still, I never feel hungry or like I'm not getting enough. I'm just not eating things with many calories.
    I eat ALOT of eggs, they are my favorite.

I honestly was feeling more discouraged than anything repeatedly being told I probably couldnt reach my goal. These last few posts are making me feel much better.
  • courtneyallisonatx
    Options
    I'm not telling myself either that it's the end of the world if I don't make it 100lbs in a year.. I would LIKE to be there but I won't fall into depression if I don't.

It's just the calorie numbers that freak me out.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I appreciate you all!

My calorie goal given by MFP is 1750, I normally eat around 1100, I've gone over once or twice.

I eat a lot still, I never feel hungry or like I'm not getting enough. I'm just not eating things with many calories.
    I eat ALOT of eggs, they are my favorite.

I honestly was feeling more discouraged than anything repeatedly being told I probably couldnt reach my goal. These last few posts are making me feel much better.

curious - if MFP gives you 1750 why are you not eating to that number???

but if you feel satiated and what not then that is good…however, pro longed eating at under 1200 calories is probably not good over the long term as it has the potential to result in metabolic adaptation….
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    I'm not telling myself either that it's the end of the world if I don't make it 100lbs in a year.. I would LIKE to be there but I won't fall into depression if I don't.

If MFP's 2 lbs/week goal is 1750 and you're eating 1100, you are doing your body a disservice. You will be losing more lean body mass than you want and may end up squishier as a result. You might lose your hair or have weaker nails. Eat 1750.
  • ndj1979
    Options

If MFP's 2 lbs/week goal is 1750 and you're eating 1100, you are doing your body a disservice. You will be losing more lean body mass than you want and may end up squishier as a result. You might lose your hair or have weaker nails. Eat 1750.

that is a little extreme statement to make, as she is only 100 calories short of 1200. The symptoms you mentioned are what happen to people that chronically under eat and are under 1000 calories a day ….

muscle mass loss yes, losing hair and weaker nails, come on ….
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

wow….

100 pounds in one year is not an unrealistic target. That's less than the two pounds a week "healthy weight loss" goal that's repeated over and over again on MFP, and it doesn't even take into account the fact that people with that much to lose can lose a lot faster at first.

"Doomed for failure"? Just because you couldn't do it doesn't mean someone else can't.

True, but for someone who has admitted to issues with anxiety and fear of failure, perhaps the people advocating for a slower, less aggressive goal, may be on to something... No?
  • richellechouinard
    richellechouinard Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have often felt the same way; but there's a reason there is that set limit-it'll help you eat all the food groups, get the nutrition you need to stay healthy. That's how I think about it, so I try hard to stay within that calorie goal. There are lots of little things you can add for extra calories that are still healthy, ways to bump up the calories to stay within the goal and still not be getting off track. Good luck, you can do it!