I'm trying to shread/ not lose muscle

Options
sidsiidhu
sidsiidhu Posts: 83 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everybody so to start i'm 6feet and love lifting heavy weights. I wanted to get big and wanted to gain weight so I started mass gainers and bumped up to 200lbs from being 180lbs in about 3 months period and now that I reached 200lbs I want to lose that belly fat which is ridiculously annoying. I'm at 23% body fat and would love to go down to probably 12% bodyfat and look shredded for the summer. Im not planning on losing the muscle I have and which is a fear factor for me so I skipped cardio for the past year or so. I love deadlifting, squatting and benching. At least i went hard on the lifting part.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    You sound like you have it down. Eat at a small deficit (about half a pound a week) and continue lifting. You don't need cardio to lose weight. The people in the gaining weight forum can help you out more, as many regularly go through bulk/cut cycles.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Cardio is so overrated anyway! Sounds like it's cutting time.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You sound like you have it down. Eat at a small deficit (about half a pound a week) and continue lifting. You don't need cardio to lose weight. The people in the gaining weight forum can help you out more, as many regularly go through bulk/cut cycles.

This.

Also, there is a great group on here called "Eat, Train, Progress." A lot of experienced people who can offer some really good advice.

• KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Can I pick your brain about this? I only have two weights at home. Mine is 4.6 kg + the bar, and my hubby's is 9.6 kg + the bar, and I have two kids that I might be able to use as weights (32 lbs and 42 lbs). I'm a SAHM with no budget to buy more weights, but I can modify them because they are adjustable. I'm 179 lbs, looking to get to a healthy BMI (165# is my healthy-bmi-threshold number).

I would like to keep my muscles and just lose the fat if possible, but I know nothing about lifting weights, and I've been to the "Eat, Train, Progress" group, but there's just so much information that I don't even know where to start!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options

Can I pick your brain about this? I only have two weights at home. Mine is 4.6 kg + the bar, and my hubby's is 9.6 kg + the bar, and I have two kids that I might be able to use as weights (32 lbs and 42 lbs). I'm a SAHM with no budget to buy more weights, but I can modify them because they are adjustable. I'm 179 lbs, looking to get to a healthy BMI (165# is my healthy-bmi-threshold number).

I would like to keep my muscles and just lose the fat if possible, but I know nothing about lifting weights, and I've been to the "Eat, Train, Progress" group, but there's just so much information that I don't even know where to start!

Look up Stronglifts 5x5, or resistance exercises that don't need weights
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

YOUTUBE
  • babsweco
    babsweco Posts: 2
    Options
    I think one of the "fitest" looking men I know on TV is Chef Robert Irvine. I recently read about his diet and exercise routine and I've included the link to the story I read.

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2014/12/exclusive-robert-irvines-fitness-routine-and-how-you-can-do-it-too/
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Of that 20lbs. Gain how much do you think is added muscle ?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    babsweco wrote: »
    I think one of the "fitest" looking men I know on TV is Chef Robert Irvine. I recently read about his diet and exercise routine and I've included the link to the story I read.

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2014/12/exclusive-robert-irvines-fitness-routine-and-how-you-can-do-it-too/
    I can promise you that if that is his physique now, he didn't get it with low weights and high reps. Unless he's on gear, he previously did some other program to put on the muscle he's got.
    The program he's on now sounds more like a maintenance program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sidsiidhu
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Of that 20lbs. Gain how much do you think is added muscle ?

Probably about 10lbs I would say, I got broader everywhere but I also got some inch fat on my stomach and some love handles to go along with it.
  • sidsiidhu
    Options
    babsweco wrote: »

Thank you would look into it. :)
  • sidsiidhu
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Cardio is so overrated anyway! Sounds like it's cutting time.

Yupp lolz I sure hope this works
  • sidsiidhu
    Options

Perfect I supposed, now i'll focus more on protein intake and decrease 10% on carbs and try to see where that'll take me. Thank you
  • sidsiidhu
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »

This.

Also, there is a great group on here called "Eat, Train, Progress." A lot of experienced people who can offer some really good advice.

Thanks bud I'll look into it.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A lower weight higher rep program can be a hypertrophy program. If the rep range puts the person at the one rep max equivalent calculation and there is progressive overload, then you'll get good results. Kai Greene does a lower weight higher rep program. He's not hurting for muscles. (yeah, I know he juices, so what)

I love Robert Irvine, too!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you need a good deficit, avoid alcohol, and get plenty of fruits and veggies in your diet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    keep lifting heavy, up your protein, reduce carbs a little, and up fats to stay satiated and eat in a about a 500 per day calorie deficit.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    He's not hurting for muscles. (yeah, I know he juices, so what)
    So he could gain muscle just by being alive, regardless of how he lifts, that's so what.

• sidsiidhu
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    keep lifting heavy, up your protein, reduce carbs a little, and up fats to stay satiated and eat in a about a 500 per day calorie deficit.

Hey thanks bud appreciate your comment, I've never tried this before and afraid of losing the muscle I have gotten over the year time. Hopefully I do this right and look like a model in a month or two.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sidsiidhu wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Hey thanks bud appreciate your comment, I've never tried this before and afraid of losing the muscle I have gotten over the year time. Hopefully I do this right and look like a model in a month or two.

you could always go for .5 pound per week loss....but that is going to slow down your body fat % decrease..

I found this article by layne Norton the other day on bb.com ...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

basically he says that you can lose a pound a week and minimize muscle loss ....

so you should be OK at 500 calorie deficit...