I'm trying to shread/ not lose muscle

Options

Replies

• RayInMotion
    RayInMotion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of articles, if you search for them, that back the claim. Also, there are articles that refute the claim. Based on personal experience, I've found that a lower calorie diet with no exercise has much less of an impact than eating a higher amount of calories with a fair amount of exercise.
  • RayInMotion
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    High intensity
    As long as you're doing something at all out effort, it will be fine. Bike, treadmill, stairmaster, punching bag. The 30/60 is a good place to start, working your way to a 60/30 split.
    Wait, is cardio overrated or something that has to be done to lose belly fat?

High intensity cardio is what you need to lose belly fat and keep muscle.
    Sorry but that is not true. Caloric deficit takes care of belly fat. Cardio is not necessary for fat loss unless we are talking about someone that is pretty lean trying to get leaner and reducing caloric intake is not right for them.

Yes, but the OP was interested in preserving muscle as well. A calorie deficit, without proper exercise, also "takes care of" muscle.
  • RayInMotion
    Options
    I appreciate your effort to help but please let's start talking actual science. I want you to explain to me exactly what the fat storing mode is, what the metabolic process is in our bodies that change resulting in that and where the body pulls the necessary energy to function while in which deficit

Google it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of articles, if you search for them, that back the claim. Also, there are articles that refute the claim. Based on personal experience, I've found that a lower calorie diet with no exercise has much less of an impact than eating a higher amount of calories with a fair amount of exercise.

It still boils down to energy balance, regardless.
  • RayInMotion
    Options

Articles, not reputable sources.

Most articles are quoting research studies from reputable sources, such as studies performed by phDs in exercise and nutrition from large and well-known universities.
  • RayInMotion
    Options

It still boils down to energy balance, regardless.

Agreed. I was providing an educated opinion of how to achieve a balance while maintaining the OP's interests.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Most articles are quoting research studies from reputable sources, such as studies performed by phDs in exercise and nutrition from large and well-known universities.

Funny because the ones you listed do not.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

None of the ones you posted did.
  • RayInMotion
    Options
    I'm going to request you don't tell me to look for articles or link me to random articles, I want you to provide actual science based information to back up your claims.

Request denied. Do your own research.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    As long as you're doing something at all out effort, it will be fine. Bike, treadmill, stairmaster, punching bag. The 30/60 is a good place to start, working your way to a 60/30 split.
    Wait, is cardio overrated or something that has to be done to lose belly fat?

Jogging for 30 minutes is a lot different than sprinting for 10 minutes. The sprinting will actually burn more calories and utilize more muscle, keeping it preserved.
    So will just not eating however many calories you burn in 10 minutes of sprinting while still doing your strength training, right?

Except not eating slows your metabolism and starves your body, putting it into fat-storing mode. Sprinting and eating keep your metabolism high.

myth.

if that were true then the starving people in Africa would be obese, because starvation mode...
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    I'm going to request you don't tell me to look for articles or link me to random articles, I want you to provide actual science based information to back up your claims.

Take the backlash then I guess...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

There's a teapot with your name on it orbiting Mars.
  • RayInMotion
    Options

Funny because the ones you listed do not.

I was merely pointing out how easily it is to find the information. Now that you know it's out there, you can look them up. Those articles posted are written and published by doctors, certified nutrionists and/or CTPs. I usually find that they are educated in their fields and consider them reputable sources.