"Professional" lifter

Options
124»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    The op did seem a little braggish; however, he stated that he was going to be venting about all these things so it should be expected that he's going to bring them all up. We also don't know how he behaves at work so a lot of the responses here seemed like you were just adopting a mob mentality and attacking him based off of unsupported assumptions which seems to be a theme on MFP. If you think about it, this really just supports the likelihood of the problems that OP is having at work...

I think that goes back to knowing your audience. If you've been around MFP for any length of time, you'll know that people like to pick pick pick at details, many of which are innocuous. For that reason alone I'd never post a general vent.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The op did seem a little braggish; however, he stated that he was going to be venting about all these things so it should be expected that he's going to bring them all up. We also don't know how he behaves at work so a lot of the responses here seemed like you were just adopting a mob mentality and attacking him based off of unsupported assumptions which seems to be a theme on MFP. If you think about it, this really just supports the likelihood of the problems that OP is having at work...

Ugh didn't want to say anything else but this is the first thing I thought about when you brought up mob:

#getyourbroomsticks
    0taue3r304xj.jpg
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Yes, because people lifting to get stronger is completely unsupported...
  • Lofteren
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I think that goes back to knowing your audience. If you've been around MFP for any length of time, you'll know that people like to pick pick pick at details, many of which are innocuous. For that reason alone I'd never post a general vent.

^You, my friend, have hit the nail directly on the head.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

^You, my friend, have hit the nail directly on the head.

Agreed. OP, I do understand what you're saying due to being in the same industry. Just like @michael190lbs commented on the first page. It is still a very stereotypical industry, surprisingly. I haven't read all 4 pages and I think there have been a lot of negative posts and misunderstandings, but really, I think we just have to accept that most other people will not understand what we do and why we do it, nor will they be excited to hear about it.

I'm a female in a very male dominated industry. The few females seem to be one extreme or the other: either very fit or quite overweight. Personally, I don't care either way, but it is just ASSUMED that for me to stay at my size I must "live at the gym" or never eat or do hours of cardio. As soon as I mention (only if asked) that I stay this size by lifting and eating low-carb the blank stares and dismissive remarks follow. Meh, whatever. OP, I'd say take your own advice in your first post: just do you.
  • Lofteren
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »

What? No... you mean the MFP might actually be a microcosm of reality, since in theory, the people bringing the chocolate rain to the OP might actually be in reality from time to time?

Stay classy MFP. Stay classy San Diego?

Hahaha, true. Obvious statement is obvious...

I just wanted the people who were involved in that reaction to realize it.
  • Lofteren
    Options

What? No... you mean the MFP might actually be a microcosm of reality, since in theory, the people bringing the chocolate rain to the OP might actually be in reality from time to time?

Stay classy MFP. Stay classy San Diego?

Hahaha, true. Obvious statement is obvious...

I just wanted the people who were involved in that reaction to realize it.
    ... do you think they will?

... or that they won't?

Where does your money lie, hombre?

I am betting they won't but at least I can say I tried.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    meh, i can bench 300+ and curl 135+ and i work in a white collar world, i'm a software engineer and i'm typically in meetings with clients and ceos/owners/upper management and never once did do i feel like they cared if i lifted or not, i think your experience is pretty uncommon.
  • Lofteren
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    meh, i can bench 300+ and curl 135+ and i work in a white collar world, i'm a software engineer and i'm typically in meetings with clients and ceos/owners/upper management and never once did do i feel like they cared if i lifted or not, i think your experience is pretty uncommon.

You are pretty muscular but you're not really that big which probably has a lot to do with it. I'm not sure how big op is but he did say he fights in mma as well so he likely also comes to work with bruises and scuffs all over his face. That has been kind of a problem for me in the past as well. When you always have a fat lip or a puffy eyebrow, etc... people tend to think that you are crazy.