Anyone else boycott....

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There's so much crap going on in the world, but people spend their time boycotting fast food restaurants. Try channeling your energy to help a worthy cause.
    Seriously. watch the news. I'm sure you'll find something actually important to keep you occupied.

I'm guessing her boycotting fast food doesn't take up much of her time or energy. There are certain stores and brands I refuse to shop at because of how they treat their employees or the people who make the products, and it costs me pretty much nothing to not shop there. OP didn't say she doesn't care about other things in the world.

She spent the time and energy to create a thread about it. It's obviously something she thinks about. I think there are other things we should worry about, rather than blaming fast food for all our problems.

Let's be honest here, fast food is not the issue. People not knowing when to stop stuffing their faces is.

I have lots of things on my mind that aren't that important. You as well spent time and energy caring about what she cares about. Not a big deal to create a quick thread or post a quick response to it. My guess is we all spend our time thinking about some things that are not as important as others. It doesn't mean that she doesn't have other things that are equally as or more important to her. We have no idea what she spends the rest of her time on. My time on MFP is nothing compared to the amount of time offline I spend working on things that are important to me.

The argument that fast food restaurants are not the problem is a separate issue though. I have no horse in that race.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Boycott is a strong word in our case. When we're on the road we'll stop at Subway. It's pretty easy to get something that's not too unhealthy and you can get all the fresh veggies on your sandwich that you want. To me, it's not lunch or dinner without fresh veggies and the lettuce leaf on your burger doesn't count. When we're not traveling, we eat out very rarely and prefer to patronize local business where the menu isn't decided by someone at HQ and shipped in frozen segments to be microwaved and plated. I also hate it when they take a healthy dish (yogurt, oatmeal) and cram it full of sugar, fats and artificial flavorings.

So, it's not that we find fast food places totally unacceptable; they just don't have what we want.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I don't boycott them entirely. Being a full-time nursing student and single mom, there are nights where I just REALLY don't want to cook. So I'll pick up Chinese food or something like that, because I just don't care all the time. I also end up stopping at fast food places on the road if I do a road trip, but that doesn't happen too often, so I don't worry about it.

Generally speaking, I don't do it that often, and I don't tend to go to places where we buy terrible things, so I don't feel badly about it. It's kind of a treat for me to not have to cook, and a treat for my toddler, because she usually doesn't get it. Everyone wins.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I want to boycott children as I never plan to have them and they are a drain on resources! There's enough humans already.

This is how you sound OP.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Nope, no boycott just a lot less.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    ...fast food restaurants? I've been fast food free for YEARS now.

Yeah. Well done.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    When I need maximum cals at the minimum price, I am ashamed to say I turn to McDonald's.

Ok, I'm not that ashamed.

But not proud either.

Actually, I guess I don't give a ****.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I boycotted South African products during Apartheid. It was pretty easy, because almost nothing I use comes from South Africa. Take that, racism!

No, I don't boycott fast food places. I almost never go to them, though, because I don't eat meat. It isn't a conscious boycott - not like that Apartheid thing. That was Serious Business.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I eatz all the foodz.

tumblr_m4q8dhkmpy1rwcc6bo1_500.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mepvn8dDqB1r6qp0to1_500.gif
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    No, I don't "boycott" fast food restaurants. They provide a service that people like, and jobs to the local communities. That said, I've never stepped foot in one. And that is the beauty of free-market capitalism.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Actually, now I think of it, there are a couple fast food chains I boycott, but nothing to do with their food, more what they do with their political funding and public influence.

C'est moi.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I boycott it... I just don't like it, so I haven't eaten it in about 5 years.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Nope, but now I do want a McDouble ;)
  • nuttingh
    nuttingh Posts: 65
    Options
    I don't boycott restaurants. I believe in moderation. I don't eat out everyday by any means but I have days where I crave certain foods. Like I have been wanting mexican for almost two months now. It'll happen soon but will depend on time since I have to drive a bit to get to the place I want. I like Subway, Applebees and all kinds of foods. I won't refuse to eat out with my family because they are going out. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. So if I want to treat myself, I will. If I limited myself on all fast foods or eating out, I'd be miserable LOL!! I just use alot more discipline now when I go out.

Some people refuse to eat fast food because of the food being so processed and whatnot, and that's ok. That's a totally justifiable reason. However, those people also need to remember that it's not just "fast food" that is highly processed. So is most frozen food in the stores.

Whatever your reason for not eating "fast food," good for you. However, I know the world I live in and just decide to make overall healthier choices and sometimes my choices involve naughtier foods. :)
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to go out shopping now and maybe even buy some gear at Sports Authority and then grab some fast food at Panda Express or Burger King.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Speaking of which, In n Out sounds delicious right now.

Hey, I've never met anyone who didn't like a little in n out...

Oh, you mean the restaurant.

Carry on.
  • ssami_89
    ssami_89 Posts: 79
    Options
    All I have to say is this topic has been very very entertaining lol
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

I, too, am Holier Than Thou. It is about so much more than the food! These companies are running your life, and ruining many other's lives. You can chose to ignore it if you want, and call people names, too. SOMEBODY will be standing up for what's right. When are you going to wake up?

LOLWUT?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I, too, am Holier Than Thou. It is about so much more than the food! These companies are running your life, and ruining many other's lives. You can chose to ignore it if you want, and call people names, too. SOMEBODY will be standing up for what's right. When are you going to wake up?

LOLWUT?

images-8_zps2c5ed1a9.jpeg