21 Day Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    It's a great idea to try it out and see how you feel. It's only 21 days. You may be surprised at how great you will feel. This closely resembles how my family eats daily, except we eat dairy and allow small amounts of stevia and xylitol. I've always wanted to try to go without even those. Good luck to you !
  • Hovercat
    Hovercat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I eat zero sugar. I have to say yes, I'm pretty proud of that. I get my fibre in dark veggies.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    How is this restrictive? lol. I have a sugar addiction as bad as a heroin addiction (Doctors words) and this seems SUPER easy to do. I am so glad I seen this....I start this tomorrow. I would today but I had some Dr Pepper already lol
  • Hovercat
    Options
    I said dark veggies, not cans of corn. I watch my net carbs. I get more nutrients with less sugar in veggies. Sugar causes insulin spikes and cravings, so I avoid it.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hovercat wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with it. Lots of people already eat that way, myself included (however cream and cheese has stayed with me because yum) so this 21 day plan is my 520ish day plan and going strong. Half the "do not eat" list is common sense but people get scared when they think of no sugar and then make up all sorts of crap on why it's unattainable instead of actually giving it a go and realizing it's really not that hard.

So because you think some food is crap that means it's crap for everyone? Why does anyone have to give up that stuff?

Well, yes, most of that food IS crap. Not all, but a lot of it.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    JessieLMay wrote: »
    How is this restrictive? lol. I have a sugar addiction as bad as a heroin addiction (Doctors words) and this seems SUPER easy to do. I am so glad I seen this....I start this tomorrow. I would today but I had some Dr Pepper already lol

jon-popcorn.gif

I see this ending well.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    This plan is a great start to help those kick their sugar addiction. Some people are hooked on soda and candy. After three weeks of limiting added sugar, your palate changes and sugar-filled-candy-food can taste disgusting for the next few weeks. So, this can be a good beginning to making better food choices.
  • Hovercat
    Options
    I am aware, however I eat enough protein to maintain muscle but not enough to have gluconeogenisis occur. I don't know why my way of eating seems to bite your *kitten* so hard. It works, it's easy, athletes do it, doctors are starting to recommend it, the only problem is dealing with people like you who try to find fault in it, but fail.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. Lots of people already eat that way, myself included (however cream and cheese has stayed with me because yum) so this 21 day plan is my 520ish day plan and going strong. Half the "do not eat" list is common sense but people get scared when they think of no sugar and then make up all sorts of crap on why it's unattainable instead of actually giving it a go and realizing it's really not that hard.

So because you think some food is crap that means it's crap for everyone? Why does anyone have to give up that stuff?

Wut?

Beans, nuts, fruits, dairy ... none of that is "crap". It's all food that is quite good for meeting macros so then you can move on to the cakes, candy, and wine to use up the rest of your allotted calories (of which none are crap either).
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I am aware, however I eat enough protein to maintain muscle but not enough to have gluconeogenisis occur. I don't know why my way of eating seems to bite your *kitten* so hard. It works, it's easy, athletes do it, doctors are starting to recommend it, the only problem is dealing with people like you who try to find fault in it, but fail.

Can you please list 10 athletes who intentionally avoid sugar.

Last I checked, insulin spikes are a good thing for athletes.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I said dark veggies, not cans of corn. I watch my net carbs. I get more nutrients with less sugar in veggies. Sugar causes insulin spikes and cravings, so I avoid it.

You should have seen the sugar hit my logging took from a hefty helping of cauliflower.

Vegetables have sugar in them. Not just the starchy ones.

• freefallebby
    freefallebby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UZJRR8OHhY Anyone contemplating "quitting sugar" should watch this video for some humour. :D NSFW or little ones who may be listening.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options

It's unnecessarily restrictive... going so far as cutting butter and soy sauce? I mean... really?

Cutting butter because of the minute amount of milk solids and soy sauce because it's processed with wheat is ridiculously restrictive. There's not even a trace amount of sugar to be found in a cup's worth of butter. The same for a typical tablespoon serving of soy sauce.

And then allowing butternut squash and pumpkin, but not acorn squash? Makes no sense, particularly since butternut squash has more sugar per 100 grams than acorn squash does.

• PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options

Wut?

Beans, nuts, fruits, dairy ... none of that is "crap". It's all food that is quite good for meeting macros so then you can move on to the cakes, candy, and wine to use up the rest of your allotted calories (of which none are crap either).

That's what made me laugh the most. That's pretty much the backbone of my diet right there! And I moderate my carbs. LOL.