Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Herp Derp
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UZJRR8OHhY Anyone contemplating "quitting sugar" should watch this video for some humour. :D NSFW or little ones who may be listening.

This is a keeper :smile:

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    JessieLMay wrote: »
    How is this restrictive? lol. I have a sugar addiction as bad as a heroin addiction (Doctors words) and this seems SUPER easy to do. I am so glad I seen this....I start this tomorrow. I would today but I had some Dr Pepper already lol

Well, I'm glad that neither you nor your doctor has ever had a loved one with opiate addiction A+++ for both of you. This is worse than the ever-present comparison to alcohol you usually see in these threads.

OP, sugar isn't a toxin (and simply eliminating the toxin is not how detoxes work anyway--see the quoted poster's doctor for some sugar chelation therapy probably). And you're also eliminating things like cottage cheese (a great source of protein) and beans (the easiest way I have to hit my fiber micro) just to avoid sugar. If you want to do this, fine, but it probably isn't necessary.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Hovercat wrote: »
    I am aware, however I eat enough protein to maintain muscle but not enough to have gluconeogenisis occur. I don't know why my way of eating seems to bite your *kitten* so hard. It works, it's easy, athletes do it, doctors are starting to recommend it, the only problem is dealing with people like you who try to find fault in it, but fail.

Doctors recommend it? My doctor must be one of those gosh darned new age hippies. Please. I'd also like you to list the athletes that do this.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    So, here's my take.

I find that when I quit eating added sugars completely, it only takes me a couple of days to quit craving them completely. By about day four, a grapefruit tastes like delicious candy and I'm happy.

The minute someone offers me a cookie and I decide to eat it since I can fit it into my calorie goals? All bets are off and I start fiending for sugar again.

Unless you're never going to eat any of the foods on the forbidden list again, this isn't going to change anything for you long term.

It's way easier just to enjoy sugary foods in moderation, as it fits into your calorie and macronutrient goals.

I agree with this. If you're not going to avoid the "forbidden" foods forever, then there's no point. But giving up added sugars (for me this is any type of cookies, cakes, candy), can help if you're craving them constantly. At least it does for me, so I chose to give up those foods entirely. And like the above poster, it really only takes me a couple of days for the cravings to disappear. But this has nothing to do with weight loss and everything to do with how I feel when I eat those foods (ie. migraines, joint pain, and even hives).

Ask yourself - what is your goal in giving up these foods? What do you think is going to happen on day 22? Are you doing this for weight loss? Or is there another reason? (ie. food allergies or something else?)

ETA: What is the problem here with dairy? And why, if butter is "forbidden" is ghee ok? Seriously... just ask yourself what here makes sense rather than following a list that has zero scientific explanation. (mini rant over)

Oh, HAHAHAHAHAH, good catch.

This list is like the Ultimate in WOO. If it isn't from Food Babe, then someone has Out Food Babed the Food Babe. LOL.

And, seriously, @freefallebby , "The Katering Show" has GIVEN ME LIFE. You are my new favorite.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    In for teh lewlz
  • freefallebby
    freefallebby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    :D@EWJLang Yay. I'm so glad I could make someone's day. Life is way too dang short!

As Simpson once said "First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women!"

Down with Orthorexic restrictive fad diets propagated by greedy charlatans and up with sustainable diets that make us happy and healthy! I'mma share the vid on all the anti sugar posts, because I'm a sugar pusher. Taste teh happiness. Taste it!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I eat zero sugar. I have to say yes, I'm pretty proud of that. I get my fibre in dark veggies.
    Impossible since vegetables, even dark green ones, have small amounts in them. Ever hear of photosynthesis?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tumblr_inline_n46d8mTKCs1qcxesa.gif

Srsly, lost for words.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    How is this restrictive? lol. I have a sugar addiction as bad as a heroin addiction (Doctors words) and this seems SUPER easy to do. I am so glad I seen this....I start this tomorrow. I would today but I had some Dr Pepper already lol

Is Dr Pepper really a doctor?!?

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    :D@EWJLang Yay. I'm so glad I could make someone's day. Life is way too dang short!

As Simpson once said "First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women!"

Down with Orthorexic restrictive fad diets propagated by greedy charlatans and up with sustainable diets that make us happy and healthy! I'mma share the vid on all the anti sugar posts, because I'm a sugar pusher. Taste teh happiness. Taste it!!

I'll share another YouTube chef of note, making cookies with dangerous, toxic sugar.

[https://youtu.be/qTyotI3IHFQ
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

I'll share another YouTube chef of note, making cookies with dangerous, toxic sugar.

[https://youtu.be/qTyotI3IHFQ

Okay, 90-95 seconds is GOLD!! Priceless, the beeping, the cork shot, and she is toast! Wow. Made my day.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with it. Lots of people already eat that way, myself included (however cream and cheese has stayed with me because yum) so this 21 day plan is my 520ish day plan and going strong. Half the "do not eat" list is common sense but people get scared when they think of no sugar and then make up all sorts of crap on why it's unattainable instead of actually giving it a go and realizing it's really not that hard.

So because you think some food is crap that means it's crap for everyone? Why does anyone have to give up that stuff?

Well, yes, most of that food IS crap. Not all, but a lot of it.

Well, I looked at the list. I do not classify any of those foods as crap.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Went on a coffee date this morning, guy was adamant that sugar is evil (I think he even used those exact words). Needless to say I will not be seeing him again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with it. Lots of people already eat that way, myself included (however cream and cheese has stayed with me because yum) so this 21 day plan is my 520ish day plan and going strong. Half the "do not eat" list is common sense but people get scared when they think of no sugar and then make up all sorts of crap on why it's unattainable instead of actually giving it a go and realizing it's really not that hard.

So because you think some food is crap that means it's crap for everyone? Why does anyone have to give up that stuff?

Agreed. Because YOU think something is crap (or...something), doesn't mean everyone does.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    It's lambing season over here at the moment.

Yesterday we had a mother die, leaving some orphan lambs.

The twinges of sadness as the poor little things looked upon their just deceased parent do not compare with the feelings of UTTER SADNESS that image gives me.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Went on a coffee date this morning, guy was adamant that sugar is evil (I think he even used those exact words). Needless to say I will not be seeing him again.

Did he also advise a sugar detox? I might know someone just for him! ;) (ETA: the someone is referring to someone I met IRL who said she drinks lots of water to remove toxins in her eyes lol)