Feeling sick after eating eggs?

Options
My_Butt
My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
I can eat sweets with eggs, and anything with egg products, but if I eat a few eggs (hard boiled, fried, over easy) I get really sick to my stomach. I barfed last month after eating an egg sandwich with salsa past the expiration date. So I blamed the salsa. But I just had 3 hard boiled eggs and my stomach is in knots.

In my teens I remember eating scrambled eggs on a Friday, and throwing them up Monday.

I read it could be an allergy, but then I read it could be the sulfur. Anybody dealt with this before? I own chickens, and I want my girls' eggs.

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I had this issue with eggs when I was younger for some reason too. See what happens when you eat just the egg whites for a while. I want to say I overcame my allergy to them by eating the egg whites, then slowly incorporating the yolk, a little bit over time (i.e... If I would eat 3 eggs, I would just eat the whites for a while, then maybe in a few weeks, add 1 yolk, a few weeks later, add a second yolk, etc...). Had the same problem with whole milk when I was younger and did the same slow incorporating protocol.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    so stop eating eggs.

problem solved.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    HAve you tried duck eggs? We also own chickens, ducks and turkeys for eggs. We have a family that regularly buys our duck eggs from us because the girls are allergic to chicken and turkey eggs but not duck eggs. Their allergist recommended it and we are the only duck egg sellers they've found so far.

Just a thought, since I didnt realize people could be allergic to one type of egg but not another but apparently it is common enough the allergist knew.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It sounds like you have a psychological issue with them, because, um... you wouldn't have thrown up eggs you ate on a Friday on a Monday. You digest things more quickly than that. AND were it an allergy thing, eggs in baked goods would bother you too.

Just stop trying to eat eggs.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a psychological issue with them, because, um... you wouldn't have thrown up eggs you ate on a Friday on a Monday. You digest things more quickly than that. AND were it an allergy thing, eggs in baked goods would bother you too.

Actually you can react to an egg allergy several days after eating them. My son has eosinophilic esophagitis caused by food allergies and we are working closely with a pediatric gastroenterologist to diagnose exactly what foods he's allergic to. She's explained that with food allergies it takes about 3 days to get out of your system and it is often hard to tell what made you sick because it could have been something you ate 3 days ago. My sons symptoms are gastrointestinal and it does take about 3 days for him to react once we introduce a new food.

Op, it's important to know if you are allergic to eggs or not because you'll want to avoid them completely even if you don't get immediately sick. The symptoms can progress and build up over time and be more serious later.

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Stop eating eggs. Determine if you actually have an allergy.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    First of all, two of you are very negative and not supportive one bit. So why are you here?

Second off, eggs are healthy and I have six chickens giving me free eggs. I don't want to stop eating them, I was curious if others had this feeling.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    First of all, two of you are very negative and not supportive one bit. So why are you here?

Second off, eggs are healthy and I have six chickens giving me free eggs. I don't want to stop eating them, I was curious if others had this feeling.

Because their advice is solid and being blunt/tactless isn't negative.
    tact-2.gif?w=650&h=650

You would not eat something on Friday and then throw it up 3 days later. You'd have already pooped it out. If you are allergic to eggs, then stop eating them. I used to be mildly allergic to eggs and stopped eating them because they upset my stomach. Then my allergy went away on its own and they stopped bothering my stomach. So now I eat them.

Neither decision required others to help me decide what was best for my digestive health....

You can either stop eating something that makes you sick or you can keep eating something that makes you sick and continue getting sick. Whether it's the sulfur or the egg in its entirety doesn't matter because you can't change its properties to avoid getting sick. So, like, your call. Choosing sickness over feeling good just because you own chickens though is kind of a silly as frak choice, but to each his/her own.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    My niece has a similar issue, she can eat baked goods made with eggs but eggs on their own cause her to break out in hives. My mother also can not eat eggs on their own because they cause gi pain and sometimes vomiting. Sadly the only thing they can do is not eat eggs.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Not true... food poisoning takes about 48hours to have an effect on your system...
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »

Actually you can react to an egg allergy several days after eating them. My son has eosinophilic esophagitis caused by food allergies and we are working closely with a pediatric gastroenterologist to diagnose exactly what foods he's allergic to. She's explained that with food allergies it takes about 3 days to get out of your system and it is often hard to tell what made you sick because it could have been something you ate 3 days ago. My sons symptoms are gastrointestinal and it does take about 3 days for him to react once we introduce a new food.

Op, it's important to know if you are allergic to eggs or not because you'll want to avoid them completely even if you don't get immediately sick. The symptoms can progress and build up over time and be more serious later.

Vomiting one's stomach contents as a reaction would not take 3 days. A gastro reaction out of the other end? Sure. Maybe.

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Why would you ingest something that you're convinced is making you sick? That makes little sense to me. Can you not confirm it's an allergy unless it's worth the nausea to you?
  • giannigreco83
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    You would not eat something on Friday and then throw it up 3 days later. You'd have already pooped it out. If you are allergic to eggs, then stop eating them. I used to be mildly allergic to eggs and stopped eating them because they upset my stomach. Then my allergy went away on its own and they stopped bothering my stomach. So now I eat them.

Neither decision required others to help me decide what was best for my digestive health....

You can either stop eating something that makes you sick or you can keep eating something that makes you sick and continue getting sick. Whether it's the sulfur or the egg in its entirety doesn't matter because you can't change its properties to avoid getting sick. So, like, your call. Choosing sickness over feeling good just because you own chickens though is kind of a silly as frak choice, but to each his/her own.

Again...really? stop giving false information. Food poisoning or allergies take 48 hours to have an impact on your system. Source: years of training on this as hospitality manager where I have dealt with many complaints for food poisoning...

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Not true... food poisoning takes about 48hours to have an effect on your system...

That's not an allergic reaction, though.

• giannigreco83
    edited April 2015
    Options

Try to do an allergy test...I think it would help... it you have no allergy or intolerance, then try to overcome it maybe by eating with an english muffin or something else....but make an effort not to be biased towards eggs from now on because you felt sick before...

• giannigreco83
    Options

That's not an allergic reaction, though.

no I don't think so either... but as you said..if she had an allergy she would be feeling sick from other products containing eggs which she doesn't... so I guess she doesn't have an allergy...I was just pointing out that if you eat something on a friday you can perfectly vomit it on a monday... now she is also probably building a negative bias towards eggs because of those episodes...it happened to me when, as a european, I discovered PB and jelly.... I just can't ingest jelly anymore lol

• sorbus33rowan
    sorbus33rowan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just stop eating eggs? They are full of saturated fat, cholesterol, and carcinogens- surley it will be good that you wont miss them?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I can eat sweets with eggs, and anything with egg products, but if I eat a few eggs (hard boiled, fried, over easy) I get really sick to my stomach. I barfed last month after eating an egg sandwich with salsa past the expiration date. So I blamed the salsa. But I just had 3 hard boiled eggs and my stomach is in knots.

In my teens I remember eating scrambled eggs on a Friday, and throwing them up Monday.

I read it could be an allergy, but then I read it could be the sulfur. Anybody dealt with this before? I own chickens, and I want my girls' eggs.

It could also be a result of an underlying digestive issue, probably best to check with your doctor for sure to find out if you are allergic and if not, what could be causing the reaction.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of healthy foods that people just can't eat due to either allergy or intolerance. In fact, if you have eggs from "home-raised" chickens and you're still getting sick, I'd just stop eating them because it's not as if your getting your eggs from some hormone-laden factory farm; you probably do have a food intolerance. You can get good sources of protein elsewhere. I went through something similar with milk and some dairy. I couldn't drink it when pregnant with my daughter or several years afterwards, so I took calcium supplements and stuck to milk in forms that didn't bother me like yogurt and hard cheeses. I now have an occasional glass and it doesn't bother me. Stop eating the eggs for a while and try again in 6 months to a year.
  • giannigreco83
    Options
    Why don't you just stop eating eggs? They are full of saturated fat, cholesterol, and carcinogens- surley it will be good that you wont miss them?

What???? :o