Feeling sick after eating eggs?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    You would not eat something on Friday and then throw it up 3 days later. You'd have already pooped it out. If you are allergic to eggs, then stop eating them. I used to be mildly allergic to eggs and stopped eating them because they upset my stomach. Then my allergy went away on its own and they stopped bothering my stomach. So now I eat them.

Neither decision required others to help me decide what was best for my digestive health....

You can either stop eating something that makes you sick or you can keep eating something that makes you sick and continue getting sick. Whether it's the sulfur or the egg in its entirety doesn't matter because you can't change its properties to avoid getting sick. So, like, your call. Choosing sickness over feeling good just because you own chickens though is kind of a silly as frak choice, but to each his/her own.

Again...really? stop giving false information. Food poisoning or allergies take 48 hours to have an impact on your system. Source: years of training on this as hospitality manager where I have dealt with many complaints for food poisoning...

Digestion occurs within 2 days. 3 days is more than 2 days. She would have already digested the eggs. Meaning she would be throwing up OTHER food, even if she was reacting to the eggs she ate 3 days prior.

I've also reacted to eggs, and to gluten (sensitivity, no diagnosed allergy for the latter but diagnosed allergy for the former). My reactions were always within the same day of consuming the food item. So... doesn't universally take 2 days for someone to react to something they eat. But it does take about 2 days to digest something - from eating to pooping it out.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    My step-mom can eat hard boiled eggs and foods with eggs cooked in them without a problem. But scrambled, fried, over easy, etc. makes her sick within 30 minutes. So, it is possible you have a sensitivity to eggs, unless they're cooked in something else.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a psychological issue with them, because, um... you wouldn't have thrown up eggs you ate on a Friday on a Monday. You digest things more quickly than that. AND were it an allergy thing, eggs in baked goods would bother you too.

Just stop trying to eat eggs.

Not true... food poisoning takes about 48hours to have an effect on your system...

That's not an allergic reaction, though.

no I don't think so either... but as you said..if she had an allergy she would be feeling sick from other products containing eggs which she doesn't... so I guess she doesn't have an allergy...I was just pointing out that if you eat something on a friday you can perfectly vomit it on a monday... now she is also probably building a negative bias towards eggs because of those episodes...it happened to me when, as a european, I discovered PB and jelly.... I just can't ingest jelly anymore lol

Yeah, I have foods I'm like that with too. Threw up after eating them for whatever reason, and the taste of them coming back up turned me off them for GOOD. Cashews for me, among others.

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My daughter has a bad reaction to eating eggs...not if its cooked in something and a small amount, like with cakes or whatever... but to just sit and eat quiche or scrambled eggs etc... within a couple hours her stomach is in knots and she feels pretty horrible the rest of the day. By the next day she is fine though.

Having said that..she can eat hard boiled eggs, but as long as she eats only the whites and not the yolk, she seems to be fine. But even then, she cant really have much of it without feeling blah...so even making stuff out of just egg whites wouldn't help her out too much. For the most part she avoids eating straight up eggs.

Wish I could suggest something to help, but have been trying to find a way for kiddo to be able to eat eggs for years now, but no dice.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    You would not eat something on Friday and then throw it up 3 days later. You'd have already pooped it out. If you are allergic to eggs, then stop eating them. I used to be mildly allergic to eggs and stopped eating them because they upset my stomach. Then my allergy went away on its own and they stopped bothering my stomach. So now I eat them.

Neither decision required others to help me decide what was best for my digestive health....

You can either stop eating something that makes you sick or you can keep eating something that makes you sick and continue getting sick. Whether it's the sulfur or the egg in its entirety doesn't matter because you can't change its properties to avoid getting sick. So, like, your call. Choosing sickness over feeling good just because you own chickens though is kind of a silly as frak choice, but to each his/her own.

Again...really? stop giving false information. Food poisoning or allergies take 48 hours to have an impact on your system. Source: years of training on this as hospitality manager where I have dealt with many complaints for food poisoning...

The point is that she wouldn't throw up the actual food 3 days later.

Food poisoning is a reaction to the pathogen that the food carried. You're just clouding the issue.

• PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    These little anecdotes sound like picky eaters have convinced their families that they're the specialest snowflakes walking.
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I tried eating egg white alone, and my stomach rejected that too. If the egg is mixed into breads or cakes or cookies, etc., then my stomach will not reject them. If it's a quiche or omelet, stand back. It won't take 3 minutes before the stomach reacts. Hardboiled or scrambled - don't even THINK about it.

I've tried French toast and that creates some queasiness, but I can still manage to keep it down so long as it's not TOO eggy.

Even so, I'm curious enough to want to experiment with custard. That's eggy, right? So...if I can eat custard...maybe there is hope. On the other hand...custard isn't exactly a health food and no one here is going to suggest eating custard for the protein or nutrition.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    For those of you saying 'why continue eating eggs if I'm convinced they're making me sick', I just found this out TODAY.
    The last time I threw up, I blamed it on dehydration. The last time I felt sick from hard boiled eggs, I assumed it was from an energy drink I had afterwards.

It wasn't until I ate breakfast this morning that I finally considered the eggs to be the source.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    These little anecdotes sound like picky eaters have convinced their families that they're the specialest snowflakes walking.

What is your problem? If a food makes someone sick, then they must be "the specialest snowflakes walking"? So if a food item doesn't make you feel ill, then it can't make someone else feel ill? The OP asked if anyone had dealt with getting sick from eggs before. And yes, other people have. Just because you haven't doesn't mean that others are making it up just to be difficult or high maintenance. Holy...
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just stop eating eggs? They are full of saturated fat, cholesterol, and carcinogens- surley it will be good that you wont miss them?

What???? :o

Obvious troll is obvious. Just ignore them.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I stand corrected. Did some digging, and read this. OP, this might help you.
    The answer to this question shows how medical thinking about food allergies has changed. Several years ago, your doctor would likely have recommended strict avoidance of all eggs, including baked egg products. Today, it’s clear that egg-allergic children have varying levels of tolerance. Some must strictly steer clear of all forms of egg while others can eat egg in baked products.

When an egg is heated, its protein degrades enough that certain youngsters can tolerate it. Mixing egg with flours may also make it less allergenic. Ovomucoid, a heat-stable protein in egg, may be primarily responsible for the differences in tolerance. A low allergy to ovomucoid can help predict if an allergic child may be able to eat baked egg products. At Boston Children’s hospital, we test for levels of ovomucoid-specific IgE in the blood. If that value is low enough, we consider conducting a “baked egg” food challenge. This test isn’t perfect; I’ve seen children with low ovomucoid values develop serious allergic reactions during these food challenges, so great care must be taken.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just stop eating eggs? They are full of saturated fat, cholesterol, and carcinogens- surley it will be good that you wont miss them?

Someone has been reading too much Foodbabe.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I would be so sad if I couldn't eat eggs. I hope you figure it out.
  • nosaby
    nosaby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have found that eating eggs more than a couple of days in a row can upset my stomach a great deal. Horrible stomach cramping, with nausea, but no vomiting. So I don't eat them more than once a week if that. Eating eggs cooked in something is find, but not on their own, such as scrambled. Same thing with bananas. I just figured my body can't break them down efficiently. Just like some people can't tolerate lactose. Doesn't make us "special snowflakes." Makes us people.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    The best thing that you can do is keep an accurate log. Most allergies are documented by eliminating groups of foods and then slowly reintroducing them to your diet. If there is a reaction, your logging will tell you most likely what it is.

Nausea and vomiting is usually as a result of something in the last 24 hours. If something affects your digestive system later than that, I would think it would be in the form of diarrhea.
  • milkywayward
    milkywayward Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yawnetu wrote: »
    I have the same problem. I tried eating egg white alone, and my stomach rejected that too. If the egg is mixed into breads or cakes or cookies, etc., then my stomach will not reject them. If it's a quiche or omelet, stand back. It won't take 3 minutes before the stomach reacts. Hardboiled or scrambled - don't even THINK about it.

I've tried French toast and that creates some queasiness, but I can still manage to keep it down so long as it's not TOO eggy.

Even so, I'm curious enough to want to experiment with custard. That's eggy, right? So...if I can eat custard...maybe there is hope. On the other hand...custard isn't exactly a health food and no one here is going to suggest eating custard for the protein or nutrition.
    Depends on the custard. It's traditionally made from eggs but instant custard is pretty much sugar, corn starch, whey powder, and food colouring.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »

What is your problem? If a food makes someone sick, then they must be "the specialest snowflakes walking"? So if a food item doesn't make you feel ill, then it can't make someone else feel ill? The OP asked if anyone had dealt with getting sick from eggs before. And yes, other people have. Just because you haven't doesn't mean that others are making it up just to be difficult or high maintenance. Holy...

The mother in law that could eat one preparation of egg but not others was a bridge too far.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have foods I'm like that with too. Threw up after eating them for whatever reason, and the taste of them coming back up turned me off them for GOOD. Cashews for me, among others.

Twenty years ago I got really, really drunk on Southern Comfort mixed with diet Pepsi and threw up. Still can't drink diet Pepsi. Southern Comfort is fine though.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Twenty years ago I got really, really drunk on Southern Comfort mixed with diet Pepsi and threw up. Still can't drink diet Pepsi. Southern Comfort is fine though.

Now, I'm the opposite. Um... calculating... when was my prom again... 35 years ago, I got really, really drunk on diet pepsi and Southern Comfort too! What a coincidence!

Haven't touched Southern Comfort since then.

Diet Pepsi is fine, though.