Low sugar, low carb, low wheat, vegan diet..is this possible?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kipp_it wrote: »
    THANKS so much everyone for the help. A LOT to read through here. Maybe I need some re-thinking in some areas...but not the vegan thing! ;-)

Start with eco-atkins.
    Or, if you're not really tied to low carb, a vegetarian mediterranean AKA south beach diet would work.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Have
    Okay:
    As for the "cheating", I'm not sure how you can cheat a political stance and lifestyle choice of doing as little harm as possible. You can however cheat a plant based diet which sounds more like what you've got going there. (Sorry it just annoys me when people use the word vegan to descibe their diet when that's really not what it's about). There are plenty pf vegan cheeses, mayos, eggs, cakes, chocolate, sweets, etc. No need to cheat.
    Sugar is bad for you but only certain types, aka the refined types. Sugar in fruit and veg is absolutely not something to cut down on.
    Unrefind carbs are also bad but the good news is other carbs arent. Fruit, veg, wholegrains, legumes, and other plant food are very healthy. As for protein don't worry about it, you don't need as much as you think (about 55g a day for average men).
    For optimum health (and therfore weight loss) stick to a whloefoods plant based diet: this includes nuts, seeds, whole grains, vegtables, fruits, and legumes.
    Some good websites include nutrionfacts.org, onegreenplanet, and websites organisations such as viva! and the vegan society.

Nope, sugar is sugar...your body cannot tell the difference between refined sugar and natural sugar found in fruit.

Op - As already pointed out...it will be really really difficult to do a plant based diet that is low carb and still get all your basic nutrients. Make sure you are taking a multivitamin/mineral supplement! You should also have your doctor periodically check your blood work to make sure you are staying healthy.
    I suppose that's true, except for the part where it's all bound up in fiber. So if your refined sugar was bound up in fiber, then perhaps your body would respond similarly.

If eating a spoonful of sugar had the same effect on the body as eating a banana, they wouldn't have needed to invent energy gels.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Have
    Okay:
    As for the "cheating", I'm not sure how you can cheat a political stance and lifestyle choice of doing as little harm as possible. You can however cheat a plant based diet which sounds more like what you've got going there. (Sorry it just annoys me when people use the word vegan to descibe their diet when that's really not what it's about). There are plenty pf vegan cheeses, mayos, eggs, cakes, chocolate, sweets, etc. No need to cheat.
    Sugar is bad for you but only certain types, aka the refined types. Sugar in fruit and veg is absolutely not something to cut down on.
    Unrefind carbs are also bad but the good news is other carbs arent. Fruit, veg, wholegrains, legumes, and other plant food are very healthy. As for protein don't worry about it, you don't need as much as you think (about 55g a day for average men).
    For optimum health (and therfore weight loss) stick to a whloefoods plant based diet: this includes nuts, seeds, whole grains, vegtables, fruits, and legumes.
    Some good websites include nutrionfacts.org, onegreenplanet, and websites organisations such as viva! and the vegan society.

Nope, sugar is sugar...your body cannot tell the difference between refined sugar and natural sugar found in fruit.

Op - As already pointed out...it will be really really difficult to do a plant based diet that is low carb and still get all your basic nutrients. Make sure you are taking a multivitamin/mineral supplement! You should also have your doctor periodically check your blood work to make sure you are staying healthy.
    I suppose that's true, except for the part where it's all bound up in fiber. So if your refined sugar was bound up in fiber, then perhaps your body would respond similarly.

If eating a spoonful of sugar had the same effect on the body as eating a banana, they wouldn't have needed to invent energy gels.

Indeed!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I actually just finished reading Grain Brain yesterday and the thing I got from it was that I needed to get serious about starting a high dose D3 vitamin because I know from blood work that I'm deficient. Everything else in the book-not so convincing that gluten is evil. I didn't think he did a very good job of presenting his case. His writing was very Dr. Ozish (shudder).
  • m_kipp
    m_kipp Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I actually just finished reading Grain Brain yesterday and the thing I got from it was that I needed to get serious about starting a high dose D3 vitamin because I know from blood work that I'm deficient. Everything else in the book-not so convincing that gluten is evil. I didn't think he did a very good job of presenting his case. His writing was very Dr. Ozish (shudder).

THANKS!!!!

• m_kipp
    Options
    Anyone look at the Chalene PiYO food program? That one looks better and gives you so many of each food type per day getting more balance. Thoughts on that plan?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Anyone look at the Chalene PiYO food program? That one looks better and gives you so many of each food type per day getting more balance. Thoughts on that plan?

I just Googled it and it looked like it included lots of eggs, chicken, and cheese. Am I looking at the wrong plan or were you planning to make substitutions for those items? Depending on what you substitute, I would watch out for satiety. I like vegan substitutions, but some of them vary considerably in protein content. It also looks like Shakeology is a part of the plan -- are you going to substitute another shake?

Am I looking at the wrong plan?
  • m_kipp
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just Googled it and it looked like it included lots of eggs, chicken, and cheese. Am I looking at the wrong plan or were you planning to make substitutions for those items? Depending on what you substitute, I would watch out for satiety. I like vegan substitutions, but some of them vary considerably in protein content. It also looks like Shakeology is a part of the plan -- are you going to substitute another shake?

That is the correct one. I am planning to do it Vegan style with substitutes, if possible. My wife REALLY wants me to do this plan and not the carb/gluten thing I was looking at earlier. I was not planning to do Shakeology...hoping smoothies at home might work with the right ingredients.

• janejellyroll
    Options

That is the correct one. I am planning to do it Vegan style with substitutes, if possible. My wife REALLY wants me to do this plan and not the carb/gluten thing I was looking at earlier. I was not planning to do Shakeology...hoping smoothies at home might work with the right ingredients.

I think I would die of boredom on that plan. I would also miss beans. That said, it doesn't really matter what I would think of that plan. Does it look like something you would enjoy?
  • m_kipp
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think I would die of boredom on that plan. I would also miss beans. That said, it doesn't really matter what I would think of that plan. Does it look like something you would enjoy?

Really? It looked pretty extensive to me. You get like 6 primary veggies, 2 secondary veggies, 4 healthy fats, 3 fruits and 6 proteins every day with a list of "free" foods that have no limits. And beans are on the secondary veggies list

weightomaintain.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/PiYo-Food-Printables-2.pdf

• m_kipp
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sorry I was trying to delete this post since I linked the chart above
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Really? It looked pretty extensive to me. You get like 6 primary veggies, 2 secondary veggies, 4 healthy fats, 3 fruits and 6 proteins every day with a list of "free" foods that have no limits. And beans are on the secondary veggies list

weightomaintain.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/PiYo-Food-Printables-2.pdf

That's very different than the chart I got when I googled the plan. It makes more sense now -- thanks for clarifying.
  • m_kipp
    Options
    That's very different than the chart I got when I googled the plan. It makes more sense now -- thanks for clarifying.

Cool. Does it look ok to you? More healthy?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Cool. Does it look ok to you? More healthy?

It looks like you would have some decent variety. I would personally prefer to count my calories and choose what I eat within those guidelines, but if you think it would work for you, why not? Is it going to be enough calories for you, though?
  • m_kipp
    Options
    It looks like you would have some decent variety. I would personally prefer to count my calories and choose what I eat within those guidelines, but if you think it would work for you, why not? Is it going to be enough calories for you, though?

It says I should have 1800 calories...40% carb, 35% protein 25% healthy fats
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Have
    Okay:

I suspect energy gels were invented to make lots of money for the companies that sell them. Take a few inexpensive ingredients, turn them into a fancy gel in a fancy packet, and convince consumers they are a must have food product.

• rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you are just concerned about losing weight then you will need to have portion control and count calories and exercise because you know some of the things you are eating are still not healthy. If you want to lose weight and get healthier, then I recommend switching to a low fat whole food plant based lifestyle. I've been doing it for over a year now and feel great!
    There are plenty of great recipes you can make or just eat whole foods! Fruits, veggies, rice, beans, potatoes, pastas, grains, nuts, seeds, etc.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Have
    Okay:

I suspect energy gels were invented to make lots of money for the companies that sell them. Take a few inexpensive ingredients, turn them into a fancy gel in a fancy packet, and convince consumers they are a must have food product.

For sure. They're basically gooey sugar with a 10,000% markup.

What they're not is gooey banana. :wink:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible! I do vegetarian lower carb.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Consider joining this group of vegans and vegetarians:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/groups