Low sugar, low carb, low wheat, vegan diet..is this possible?

Options
1235»

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Have
    Okay:
    As for the "cheating", I'm not sure how you can cheat a political stance and lifestyle choice of doing as little harm as possible. You can however cheat a plant based diet which sounds more like what you've got going there. (Sorry it just annoys me when people use the word vegan to descibe their diet when that's really not what it's about). There are plenty pf vegan cheeses, mayos, eggs, cakes, chocolate, sweets, etc. No need to cheat.
    Sugar is bad for you but only certain types, aka the refined types. Sugar in fruit and veg is absolutely not something to cut down on.
    Unrefind carbs are also bad but the good news is other carbs arent. Fruit, veg, wholegrains, legumes, and other plant food are very healthy. As for protein don't worry about it, you don't need as much as you think (about 55g a day for average men).
    For optimum health (and therfore weight loss) stick to a whloefoods plant based diet: this includes nuts, seeds, whole grains, vegtables, fruits, and legumes.
    Some good websites include nutrionfacts.org, onegreenplanet, and websites organisations such as viva! and the vegan society.

Nope, sugar is sugar...your body cannot tell the difference between refined sugar and natural sugar found in fruit.

Op - As already pointed out...it will be really really difficult to do a plant based diet that is low carb and still get all your basic nutrients. Make sure you are taking a multivitamin/mineral supplement! You should also have your doctor periodically check your blood work to make sure you are staying healthy.
    I suppose that's true, except for the part where it's all bound up in fiber. So if your refined sugar was bound up in fiber, then perhaps your body would respond similarly.

If eating a spoonful of sugar had the same effect on the body as eating a banana, they wouldn't have needed to invent energy gels.

LOL. What, pray tell, do you think the difference is?

They both have moderate GI, and bananas have a higher GL.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php?num=408&ak=detail

http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php?num=32&ak=detail
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

What I see is one doctor with a fad diet trying to smear another doctor with a fad diet with both doctors cherry-picking whichever scientific articles suit their needs. This particular doctor with a fad diet seems rather uninformed and bitter regarding the other doctor's fad diet which instantly makes me doubt every single word that comes out of his mouth.

Eat whatever makes you feel good/comfortable. Experiment as you wish and draw your own conclusions. If you are going to be trying something extreme (as you seem to wish to) then I suggest getting full bloodwork done on a fairly regular basis (including looking for deficiencies) until you figure out what works best for you physically and mentally. If not eating something benefits you, even from a placebo effect point of view or a spiritual/moral point of view, then that is great. Just make sure that your body physically agrees and doesn't suffer.
  • mikefinch87
    mikefinch87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    If you're trying to lose weight, track your calories. Use the recommended settings on MFP and stick to it, you'll be fine. For your protein sources, look to tofu and seitan.

If you are trying to avoid wheat/gluten avoid seitan and stick with tofu. Although large amounts of soy (tofu) have some health consequences for men.
  • m_kipp
    m_kipp Posts: 86 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eat whatever makes you feel good/comfortable. Experiment as you wish and draw your own conclusions. If you are going to be trying something extreme (as you seem to wish to) then I suggest getting full bloodwork done on a fairly regular basis (including looking for deficiencies) until you figure out what works best for you physically and mentally.

I don't really want to do anything extreme at all. I just want to do the RIGHT thing for my body....to be healthy and fit
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    If you're trying to lose weight, track your calories. Use the recommended settings on MFP and stick to it, you'll be fine. For your protein sources, look to tofu and seitan.

If you are trying to avoid wheat/gluten avoid seitan and stick with tofu. Although large amounts of soy (tofu) have some health consequences for men.

How large of an amount are you talking about?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    kipp_it wrote: »
    Eat whatever makes you feel good/comfortable. Experiment as you wish and draw your own conclusions. If you are going to be trying something extreme (as you seem to wish to) then I suggest getting full bloodwork done on a fairly regular basis (including looking for deficiencies) until you figure out what works best for you physically and mentally.

I don't really want to do anything extreme at all. I just want to do the RIGHT thing for my body....to be healthy and fit

What I've discovered throughout this whole whacky journey-you just have to experiment. Try one way for a bit and see how you feel/what progress you have. If after a few days/weeks it's not clicking, then try something else. You'll get it figured out, and find what works best for you, but it just might take a bit of time :)