Your favorite lower calorie ice creams when a craving hits?

Options
124»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I haven't used bananas with peanut butter (that sounds delicious), but I often blend either frozen bananas, frozen mangos, or both. They'll churn around for a little bit, but after a couple minutes it is the exact texture of ice cream! Even my kids call it ice cream. You can add a few drops of almond milk (or any milk) to loosen it up if needed. A higher-calorie decadent treat would be with coca powder, avocado, some coconut milk and optional sweetener, that tastes like a frozen chocolate pudding to me :)

again.
    no. blended banana's are not "just like ice cream"

they are just blended banana's. And sadness... like the last unicorn.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I'm weird. I don't like Ben & Jerry's (unless it's mint oreo cookie), but I do like Edy's Slow Churned a lot. Salted caramel, oreo cookie and mint chip. Those are my go-to's usually.

Sometimes I'll get Talenti if I'm feeling frisky.

Mmmm I forgot about Talenti! Their Alphonso Mango Sorbetto is super good and satisfies my craving when I want something fruity at 130 Calories for a 1/2 cup

I should try that! I love mango anything.

And salted caramel. Mmmmm. Salted caramel.
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you freeze banana chunks (from 2 - 3 bananas), then put them in a food processor/blender with a tbsp or 2 of peanut butter, it makes banana ice cream. Process/blend until smooth. If you haven't tried this before, totally do it. It is DELICIOUS, has the consistency of like a soft serve ice cream, and is just made out of bananas and peanut butter! I would think that is less calories than real ice cream, I don't know, but the real benefit is that your sugars and fats (if you use natural peanut butter) are lower and all natural! YUMMY!

I have tried that! Its good but not great for my daughter at night (when I crave it) cause my food processor is SO loud. I picked up some Edys chocolate ice cream and went to town last night. It was awesome.
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Ever tried Arctic Zero? I've never tried it so I can't vouch for its taste, but some people swear by it. Apparently it's only like 150-200 calories for a whole pint.

And I've tried arctic zero before. Its like water and flavoring. Gross. I see they came out with a new line of 'creamy' arctic zero, so I might try that next time I have 6 bucks to spare on a pint of ice cream ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I haven't used bananas with peanut butter (that sounds delicious), but I often blend either frozen bananas, frozen mangos, or both. They'll churn around for a little bit, but after a couple minutes it is the exact texture of ice cream! Even my kids call it ice cream. You can add a few drops of almond milk (or any milk) to loosen it up if needed. A higher-calorie decadent treat would be with coca powder, avocado, some coconut milk and optional sweetener, that tastes like a frozen chocolate pudding to me :)

yea, thats not ice cream ….
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

again.

I loved that movie when I was a kid...

OZMAs7y.gif

Agree that Blended Bananas and/or Arctic Zero are just sad substitutes...

• PRMinx
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

again.

OZMAs7y.gif

I also don't understand the reasoning to this blended banana crap.

If you blend a banana (100 calories lets say), add milk (25 for a splash), add tbsp peanut butter (100), you are still consuming more calories than a serving of ice cream (225).

Even if you use PB2, you are consuming more calories (170) than Edy's Slow Churn.

I guess I don't get it?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

again.

OZMAs7y.gif

If you blend a banana (100 calories lets say), add milk (25 for a splash), add tbsp peanut butter (100), you are still consuming more calories than a serving of ice cream (225).

Even if you use PB2, you are consuming more calories (170) than Edy's Slow Churn.

I guess I don't get it?

here is the simple answer..

banana sugar good because natural
    ice cream sugar bad because added..

thus, banana ice cream is better than real ice cream.

sadly, that is what it boils down to these days...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

again.

OZMAs7y.gif

I guess I don't get it?

Apparently everyone's comments are reminding me of my favorite 80s movies today...

b4fc4aaa227a660b0485fe4d7192ba36b2602e7f4ec0a4ce9348b9649a9af4b7.jpg
  • PRMinx
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

again.

OZMAs7y.gif

I guess I don't get it?

here is the simple answer..

banana sugar good because natural
    ice cream sugar bad because added..

thus, banana ice cream is better than real ice cream.

sadly, that is what it boils down to these days...

Oh right. I forget. Sugar is the deeeebil.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

again.

OZMAs7y.gif

its' a fracking weird movie- but yeah. Thank you for getting that. <3
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I like to get the Weight Watchers popsicles - the giant latte popsicle or the cookies and cream popsicle. They are really good and have no weird aftertaste that many low cal sweets have. Other than that, I only want "real" ice cream.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    If you freeze banana chunks (from 2 - 3 bananas), then put them in a food processor/blender with a tbsp or 2 of peanut butter, it makes banana ice cream. Process/blend until smooth. If you haven't tried this before, totally do it. It is DELICIOUS, has the consistency of like a soft serve ice cream, and is just made out of bananas and peanut butter! I would think that is less calories than real ice cream, I don't know, but the real benefit is that your sugars and fats (if you use natural peanut butter) are lower and all natural! YUMMY!

3 bananas... 315 calories
    2 tablespoons peanut butter... 190 calories
    That's a total of 505 calories

Not lower calorie at all.

There are about 14 grams of sugar in each banana. That's a total of 42 grams of sugar.

A half cup of my Talenti gelato -- I'll even pick the calorically dense Sea Salt Caramel -- has 240 calories and 35 grams of sugar.

I'll stick with gelato.

For 520 calories last night I had a cup of Tillamook vanilla bean ice cream topped with Nutella. It was amazing. :P

That sounds so much more satisfying than frozen peanut butter and bananas.

I have nothing against a banana with peanut butter on it for a snack, but it's no substitute for ice cream.

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I just go with regular Breyers ice cream, the fewer ingredients, the better. Regular natural vanilla or mint chip is only around 150 cals per serving (someone else said the sugar free was 120 cals - I'd rather have the regular sugar and the extra cals than the artificial stuff).

Eat what you like that you can fit into your goals.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm weird. I don't like Ben & Jerry's (unless it's mint oreo cookie), but I do like Edy's Slow Churned a lot. Salted caramel, oreo cookie and mint chip. Those are my go-to's usually.

Sometimes I'll get Talenti if I'm feeling frisky.

Mmmm I forgot about Talenti! Their Alphonso Mango Sorbetto is super good and satisfies my craving when I want something fruity at 130 Calories for a 1/2 cup

I should try that! I love mango anything.

And salted caramel. Mmmmm. Salted caramel.

Me too on the mango. Definitely going to get that. I tend to like sorbets more in the summer, though. When the weather gets hot, I'll probably pick some up.

The Salted Caramel is just... there really are no words. My son has some weird allergies and I ordered him these super fancy salted caramels (they were hella expensive) about a year ago. They were orgasmically good. The Talenti reminds me of them.

• Solamer
    Solamer Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If my cravings are super bad, I'll get one of those really small single serve cups of the good stuff- for example-haagen daaz. The low-cal stuff doesn't really satisfy and if I get a bigger one I know I'll just eat the whole thing anyway.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    try mochi. they are small but taste heavenly, depending on the brand. totally enough when the craving kicks.
    or don't, i am too wannabe Asian :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    try mochi. they are small but taste heavenly, depending on the brand. totally enough when the craving kicks.
    or don't, i am too wannabe Asian :D

I love mochi, but it's pretty high calories if you can't stop at one... lol.