I have a problem with peanut butter...I'm not too proud to ask for help.

Options
So I have a full blown addiction to peanut butter. Actually any nut butters, really. But if I don't measure it out, I can eat a whole jar at one time. So how much is a single serving of peanut butter? I know it says two tablespoons on the jar, but are they rounded tablespoons? Leveled out?

Replies

• MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Go by the grams. You will find that you may actually can get more or less that way. But it should always be leveled out.

You should also check out pb2.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Next to the two tablespoons it gives you the weight in grams of a serving. To be accurate you would need to get a food scale to weigh it. I DOUBT that it is "rounded" tablespoons.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Next to the two tablespoons it gives you the weight in grams of a serving. To be accurate you would need to get a food scale to weigh it. I DOUBT that it is "rounded" tablespoons.

*snort* Yeah.....that would be TOO convenient and wonderful. ;)
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Spoon and cup measurements aren't ever rounded, always leveled. And your best bet as everyone mentioned, is measuring in grams with a digital food scale.

PB2 is only 45 calories a serving :)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    If you tare out the weight of the jar before you begin spooning out the peanut butter, you can find the weight of the peanut butter you've removed from the jar. If you plan to just keep dipping into the jar with that spoon and the scale tends to turn off, you should probably make a note of the weight of the jar before and after and do a little math to figure your consumption. Divide the number of grams you have removed from the jar by the number of grams in a serving to find the number of servings you have consumed. Log it. Who cares what the recommended serving size is, beyond as a means to calculate how many calories worth of peanut butter you have consumed?
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I agree with the food scale recommendation. I think you will be surprised at a serving size. Not as much as you think...and definitely not rounded tablespoons.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    PB2 is my go to (just bought a new thing of it today, actually) and real PB is for when i have calories to spare ;)

and yes, its easy for me to eat a whole container of PB if left to my own devices, too LOLOL
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I fourth PB2. Well worth it!
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    PB2 is awesome, especially for smoothies. you could always buy one or two of those justin's peanut butter packets... they come as single servings so you could have your pb without worrying about eating the whole jar
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    One of the biggest revelations many of us have when we first start measuring our food correctly (by weighing our solids on a scale) is finding out exactly what a tablespoon of peanut butter looks like based on weight!

Hints:
    #1: based on your question you are likely eating twice the calories you think you are when it comes to peanut butter :smiley:
    #2: can you imagine a straight razor going over your tablespoon with the peanut butter looking all lonely in the middle? :disappointed:
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I had a piece of bread (40 calories) with HALF a serving of peanut butter (90 calories) for breakfast this morning. Though it filled the craving, the small smear of peanut butter made me sad. What kinda world do we live in when 1/2 serving of nut butter is double the calories of a full serving of bread!? Haha :angry:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my jar of peanut butter in the car and only bring it in when I need PB for something. Glad to know I am not the only one with self control issues around it.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I have to keep my jar of peanut butter in the car and only bring it in when I need PB for something. Glad to know I am not the only one with self control issues around it.

Now, THAT'd be dangerous. I don't keep a scale in the car, and I'm not to proud to eat peanut butter off my grubby fingers. Eek!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You gotta WEIGH that shiznit. Two table spoons is nothing.

I use PB2 because it keeps me in check a little better. It's got the nutty taste I want. I am not so concerned about texture.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have it in the house at all if it was up to me. Unfortunately the other adults in this house who do not have weight issues love it!
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just had some heated up in the microwave and poured over a banana. OMG. best. stuff. ever.

I also have the PB2 but I think I'll save it for smoothies. Just not the same. and it does NOT heat up to a nice creamy smooth melty gooey consistency in the microwave :(
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you've never tried it, make a PB&J and grill it, like a grilled cheese sandwich.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I buy those jif or Jason's single serving packets to keep me out of mischief. I just had some on a graham cracker for an evening snack.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you've never tried it, make a PB&J and grill it, like a grilled cheese sandwich.

i think i may be in love with you..........
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If I was lost on a desert island and could have one food item, it would be peanut butter. My life would not be complete without it. I eat a pb&j most days and I make sure I have a heaping tbsp. of it on my sandwich. I can't tell either, but to play it safe, I say that it's 4tbsp, which is roughly about 400 calories. It fills me up, too.