Whenever I eat my calore deficit I don't lose weight

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ajocec wrote: »
    Either you're not actually eating 1200 as you're not weighing food (unless you're eating all prepackaged food), or you're not giving yourself enough time to see how eating 1200 actually affects you. You didn't answer how long you'd been eating 1200 calories and gaining weight. Was it a month where you saw consistent gain? Or did you eat 1200 for one day and see an increase the next day?

I understand that weight loss is not linear, and this is not a one time occurrence. I looked over the month and averaged out that on the days I ate 1200 or close to I saw an increase.

I am doing the best I can to log accurately without a scale. A scale is not an option for me but I am trying very hard.

Are you saying that you ate 1,200 some days and saw an increase the next day or close to it? And on the days that you didn't, you didn't see an increase?

If you're weighing daily, you may see variances due to water retention, bathroom regularity, or other reasons. Tying increases to calories eaten in a single day may be misleading you. You need to focus on the long-term trend.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Lol - what does having a job have to do with weighing food?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 currently 180. SW 220, started MFP at 196 Mid-March. I know that is a big weight loss however that has been because of the days I've eaten very little. I do not weigh my food as I have a daily job. I do always log as accurately as possible. Thank you for your help with this!

#1: 16 lb in a month is way too fast. Chances are really good that a lot of it was water weight and your body is now starting to retain more so it keeps what it needs to function properly.

#2: 1200 calories is way too low, especially because you do not eat your exercise calories. You need to eat enough to fuel your body or it will start to lose muscle.

#3: if you are not weighing and measuring, you have no idea how much you actually are eating.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Something isn't adding up here, and it's probably in the logging. At your ht/wt/age and light exercise, your TDEE is 2200 calories. If you're accurately logging 1200 calories you would be at TDEE -54%.

Can you open your diary?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Either you're not actually eating 1200 as you're not weighing food (unless you're eating all prepackaged food), or you're not giving yourself enough time to see how eating 1200 actually affects you. You didn't answer how long you'd been eating 1200 calories and gaining weight. Was it a month where you saw consistent gain? Or did you eat 1200 for one day and see an increase the next day?

I understand that weight loss is not linear, and this is not a one time occurrence. I looked over the month and averaged out that on the days I ate 1200 or close to I saw an increase.

I am doing the best I can to log accurately without a scale. A scale is not an option for me but I am trying very hard.

"on the days I ate 1200 or close to I saw an increase" as in you ate 1200 one day and saw an immediate increase the next day? Or you ate 1200 consistently for 3 weeks and saw an increase? If you just saw an increase immediately after eating 1200, that is to be expected. When you eat more than usual it's not uncommon to see an increase where your body is retaining water, or simply hasn't digested all the food yet. You have to eat 1200 everyday for several weeks and see a consistent increase to know that 1200 makes you gain.

If you can't weigh your food at work then bring a packed lunch that you've weighed at home.
  • ajocec
    ajocec Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Something isn't adding up here, and it's probably in the logging. At your ht/wt/age and light exercise, your TDEE is 2200 calories. If you're accurately logging 1200 calories you would be at TDEE -54%.

Can you open your diary?

Opening it now. Thank you
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's a troll everybody, just ignore and move on.

OP, if you're actually not a troll, open up your diary so we can all see. Usually in these situations the logging method is wrong. My guess is at your daily job (the rest of us dearly wish we had one) you go to the cafeteria, get a burger, then log it as Generic - Cheeseburger, 250 calories. Most people who don't understand the process don't log correctly.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Until you weigh your food with a scale you are just guessing at how many calories you are eating.

Given the fact that you are not loosing weight is clear evidence that you are not guessing accurately.

You are not eating 1200 calories and are not eating at a deficit. You are guessing you are, but your guess is wrong.

Get a scale and weigh and log every bite of food you eat.

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

Are you saying that you ate 1,200 some days and saw an increase the next day or close to it? And on the days that you didn't, you didn't see an increase?

If you're weighing daily, you may see variances due to water retention, bathroom regularity, or other reasons. Tying increases to calories eaten in a single day may be misleading you. You need to focus on the long-term trend.

No I think she's saying I'm a troll, validate that I should be eating more, that I'm not eating enough, that I need to eat more to lose.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Summary:
    • You've lost 16 pounds since mid-March which is approximately 4 weeks or an average of 4 pounds per week.
    • You ARE losing weight. And at a very aggressive pace.
    • You're aiming for 1200 calories, not eating back exercise, but not weighing your food so there is some element of estimation in your logging.
    • You think you're not losing and that you're even gaining because a recent weighin or more than one recent weighin was not a drop.

You may want to see a scale go down every day/week but it just won't happen that way unfortunately. Annoying, I know. Blame it on water weight which can be from a number of reasons but is TEMPORARY.

Fuel your body, use whatever logging/estimation methods work for you. You probably can afford to eat another 200-500 calories a day and still lose weight at a steady pace - but that is up to you. You're estimating so you could easily be eating more than 1200 now. If you're feeling energetic and satisfied, keep doing as you are. And trust the science. Someone else on these boards said it: you're not a special snowflake. If you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight over time.
  • CoachBarb_RS
    CoachBarb_RS Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are truly only taking in 1200 or fewer calories, on a consistent basis, you could be in a metabolic shut down. Around 1200 calories is what your body needs to maintain your weight at rest RMR (resting metabolic rate). If you are indeed exercising 5 days a week, then your body needs more calories. Also, your calories should be divided evenly throughout the day (b, l d, s). Your body could be learning to live on it's minimal amount of calories. If you have been a compulsive dieter throughout the years, you may be more vulnerable to a metabolic stagnation. You could also get your thyroid checked to be sure your metabolism is functioning properly. NOW, if it the problem is that you are really eating more than 1200 calories, sometimes the problem is that we only eat 1200 most days but then we go "off" and binge, consuming way too many calories. Irratic eating behaviors can cause your metabolism to not run at peak. If you are trying to lose weight as fast as you can, I would recommend you take a deep breath and focus on moderation and balance. When it comes to weight loss, the turtle tends to win the race, long term. Good luck to you. I hope you figure it out so you can achieve your goals!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Edit: Not sure what you are looking for here, you lost 16 lbs in one month. Which is a lot.

Why is a food scale not an option?

^^This, and I totally missed 16lbs in a month.

If you're exercising you're netting probably closer to 800 cals. I'd be impressed if you're off by over 100% on your logging estimates, but getting a scale and using that for a week to see where you're at may be the way to go here.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options

This confuses me. Why isn't weighing your food an option? I work 6 days per week and I weigh everything I eat. I prepare my lunches and snacks at home to bring to work with me. Plus you can buy a set of scales for less than €20.

Opening your diary would help us to give you accurate advice :)
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    My first hunch would be trolling.
    Otherwise i would would suggest you are simply not weighing and logging accurately.

this
  • ajocec
    Options
    Summary:
    • You've lost 16 pounds since mid-March which is approximately 4 weeks or an average of 4 pounds per week.
    • You ARE losing weight. And at a very aggressive pace.
    • You're aiming for 1200 calories, not eating back exercise, but not weighing your food so there is some element of estimation in your logging.
    • You think you're not losing and that you're even gaining because a recent weighin or more than one recent weighin was not a drop.

You may want to see a scale go down every day/week but it just won't happen that way unfortunately. Annoying, I know. Blame it on water weight which can be from a number of reasons but is TEMPORARY.

Fuel your body, use whatever logging/estimation methods work for you. You probably can afford to eat another 200-500 calories a day and still lose weight at a steady pace - but that is up to you. You're estimating so you could easily be eating more than 1200 now. If you're feeling energetic and satisfied, keep doing as you are. And trust the science. Someone else on these boards said it: you're not a special snowflake. If you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight over time.

Thank you. I am extremely new to this
  • ajocec
    Options

This confuses me. Why isn't weighing your food an option? I work 6 days per week and I weigh everything I eat. I prepare my lunches and snacks at home to bring to work with me. Plus you can buy a set of scales for less than €20.

I have opened my diary. Any help would be great. Thank you
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great. Although I believe you may need to eat more than 1200, but that is up to you. (may already be eating more bc not weighing food)
    What you are doing is picking a day out of a month/week and looking at it... This single day increase could be from water weight, bowels, etc..
    As you lose more weight you may need to weigh your food, but for now I would say you are doing good.
    You are losing weight !!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I have opened my diary. Any help would be great. Thank you

It looks like your logging could be a lot tighter. You have lots of generic entries that may not account for the calories you're truly eating. Also, I know lots of people have said it, but a scale would help hugely with accuracy. Most people using scales work (I know I do). I usually weigh breakfast and lunch at the same time and then throw lunch in a bag.