Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Just because "everyone" is doing it doesn't mean that it is OK.

Many people can lose weight while consuming too much sugar. Some of us cannot. It's not only a question of weight loss--too much sugar in your diet isn't great for long-term health.

I manage to eat a fair amount of chocolate and fruit and still not go over my sugar allowance. Switch some of your fruit consumption to vegetable consumption. It's not that hard.

Did you read my post about the day I went over on sugar from consuming dairy and vegetables? No fruit?

Besides, how much is "too much"?

Nope, I didn't see that. How much dairy did you eat that day?

Too much is when you are going over your allowances. I don't think that I have EVER gone over--that's a heck of a lot of sugar.

Part of what the macros are doing is to help us moderate our diets on a daily level. Too much of anything is probably not great--we need variety. While one day will not make or break you, it is helpful to have that reminder in everyday tracking. Americans are used to a diet which contains vastly too much sugar in all of its forms--that seems normal, especially to people who are used to eating a lot of processed foods, but it might not be the best plan in the long term.

Not everybody here is focused solely on weight loss. I want to live well, to be fit and to minimize the effects of some fairly serious health issues. I have excellent longevity in my family tree and I want to look and feel good as I age, because in all likelihood I am going to make it to a fairly old age.

There are several IIFYM people here who have lost a lot of weight, but when you zoom in on their faces, they look a lot older than you would expect. Sure, aging has to do with genetics and all kinds of lifestyle choices, but it seems like, in some cases, the sugar isn't helping much. Yes, n=not very many and the research in this area is fairly new and somewhat limited. ..but I will keep eating within the goals, just in case. :)

Really? That whole zoom in the face garbage. So let me ask you this, if that's the way you feel, why did you join my ice cream and gelato group?

In case you didn't notice, many of us look better than you and are probably much healthier some coming out saying such ignorance is just ignorant.

What's funny is I still get carded.....a lot. You'd think if I looked that much older it wouldn't happen......

I get carded too, nearly every time I go into a bar or club. This is a lot, as I often go out dancing multiple times a week.

I will be 40 in less than two months. NO WRINKLES.

Um, OK. That somehow invalidates my point?

Her wrinkle free skin is because of the food she eats. Yours is because of genetics of course....

You know how the logic is around here...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Many people can lose weight while consuming too much sugar. Some of us cannot. It's not only a question of weight loss--too much sugar in your diet isn't great for long-term health.

I manage to eat a fair amount of chocolate and fruit and still not go over my sugar allowance. Switch some of your fruit consumption to vegetable consumption. It's not that hard.

Did you read my post about the day I went over on sugar from consuming dairy and vegetables? No fruit?

Too much is when you are going over your allowances. I don't think that I have EVER gone over--that's a heck of a lot of sugar.

Part of what the macros are doing is to help us moderate our diets on a daily level. Too much of anything is probably not great--we need variety. While one day will not make or break you, it is helpful to have that reminder in everyday tracking. Americans are used to a diet which contains vastly too much sugar in all of its forms--that seems normal, especially to people who are used to eating a lot of processed foods, but it might not be the best plan in the long term.

Not everybody here is focused solely on weight loss. I want to live well, to be fit and to minimize the effects of some fairly serious health issues. I have excellent longevity in my family tree and I want to look and feel good as I age, because in all likelihood I am going to make it to a fairly old age.

There are several IIFYM people here who have lost a lot of weight, but when you zoom in on their faces, they look a lot older than you would expect. Sure, aging has to do with genetics and all kinds of lifestyle choices, but it seems like, in some cases, the sugar isn't helping much. Yes, n=not very many and the research in this area is fairly new and somewhat limited. ..but I will keep eating within the goals, just in case. :)

Really? That whole zoom in the face garbage. So let me ask you this, if that's the way you feel, why did you join my ice cream and gelato group?

In case you didn't notice, many of us look better than you and are probably much healthier some coming out saying such ignorance is just ignorant.

What's funny is I still get carded.....a lot. You'd think if I looked that much older it wouldn't happen......

I get carded too, nearly every time I go into a bar or club. This is a lot, as I often go out dancing multiple times a week.

Her wrinkle free skin is because of the food she eats. Yours is because of genetics of course....

mfp logic = illogical ridiculousness

I believe that is the formula….
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

She's going to be 40 with no wrinkles. 40 is NOTHING.

Let me share a tale of two sisters. First, my family background. I'm of Italian-English-German ancestry.

I'm 52, and I got the Italian skin. I have no wrinkles.

My sister is 50, and she got the English skin. She has wrinkles.

We both really like ice cream.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Let me share a tale of two sisters. First, my family background. I'm of Italian-English-German ancestry.

so italians are immune to the aging affects of ice cream, and english people are not???

good to know since i am 75% italian….

:)
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so italians are immune to the aging affects of ice cream, and english people are not???

good to know since i am 75% italian….

:)

Either that or I just got lucky. I think I just got lucky, but you can go with the Italian theory.

I laugh and laugh because I've never used moisturizer and my aunt, a cosmetologist, always used to laugh and tell me how old and wrinkled I was going to look compared to everyone else.

Last laugh is on me.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

I would eat a fun size Snicker bar on my calorie goals, first off. It's what would work for me to get adequate nutrition (micronutrients from fruit and veggies) in the rest of my day. They're only 80 calories. I can easily fill my nutritional needs and have 80 calories left for a snack, especially on a gym day. Also, as far as I'm aware, Snickers bars still contain protein, carbohydrates, and fats. My body will digest them and use them.

Candy bars, as my American cousins used to call them, officially fit your own government's definition of "empty calories". So why someone with a stated serious health problem would choose to consume them – unless that person had some kind of psychological dependence (which is in itself unhealthy) – is beyond me.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I would eat a fun size Snicker bar on my calorie goals, first off. It's what would work for me to get adequate nutrition (micronutrients from fruit and veggies) in the rest of my day. They're only 80 calories. I can easily fill my nutritional needs and have 80 calories left for a snack, especially on a gym day. Also, as far as I'm aware, Snickers bars still contain protein, carbohydrates, and fats. My body will digest them and use them.

Candy bars, as my American cousins used to call them, officially fit your own government's definition of "empty calories". So why someone with a stated serious health problem would choose to consume them – unless that person had some kind of psychological dependence (which is in itself unhealthy) – is beyond me.

"Our" own government can't even pick a side on whether eggs are good or bad, or whether dietary cholesterol meaningfully affects blood cholesterol, so I'm not sure they're the guys I'd want to depend on for dietary questions.

I mean, hell, "our" government defines growing your own wheat as interstate commerce and tomatoes as vegetables, so their defining skills are demonstrably poor.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

They contain fat, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, calcium, niacin, and riboflavin. But we should consider them "empty" because the government says so?

Okay.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    MjAxMi1mMjUyYzE2ZTQ1MWJmNWFh.png
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

And yet another post from you where you completely ignore all the questions people asked you earlier. It's okay to admit that you can't answer them.

I don't see any questions being asked of me, but if you want to ask me anything feel free and I'll do my best to help you out! (:-)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

And yet another post from you where you completely ignore all the questions people asked you earlier. It's okay to admit that you can't answer them.

I don't see any questions being asked of me, but if you want to ask me anything feel free and I'll do my best to help you out! (:-)

I just asked you this question: Why do you consider a food with protein, fat, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, niacin, calcium, and riboflavin to be "empty calories"? What support do you have for this beyond "the US government said so"?

Other posters have asked very pertinent questions about your statement yesterday that everyone should avoid sugar due to three illnesses/disorders. If you review the posts quoting yours, you should be able to find them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Why is consuming 80 calories of "empty calories" bad, either for someone with a health problem (that I suspect she knows the details of more than you, thus an eye roll is needed here for your pretense at concern) or otherwise? (Also, at least some of those calories are peanuts, right? if peanuts don't count as "empty calories" when consumed on their own or in buttered form, why in a Snickers?)

This is the weird assumption by the eliminationists which I do not understand.

Sure, if you miss out on nutrients you need or go over calories required for maintenance or loss (if those are your goals), then cutting down on "empty calories" would be an important thing to do. But if not, what's the problem?

I don't even like Snickers, so I'm not justifying anything (in general I'm pro chocolate covered nuts, however--they formed a portion of my food carried while biking when on my recent biking trip). I just find this claim odd. Nutrition advice generally is to limit "empty" calories and not to eat such things to excess--what excess is depends, of course.

If you are going to slam others for eating some empty calories on occasion--especially as in this case 80 calories of them--that's pretty messed up.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Either that or I just got lucky. I think I just got lucky, but you can go with the Italian theory. I laugh and laugh because I've never used moisturizer and my aunt, a cosmetologist, always used to laugh and tell me how old and wrinkled I was going to look compared to everyone else. Last laugh is on me.

A woman selling a cosmetic line raved over the state of my skin and asked my secret. I said, "Nothing!" When that did not satisfy, I added, "...and no smoking, no drinking, no suntanning." Her face kind of fell. I guess I won't be called on to sponsor her line of cosmetic products. Genetically speaking, about five generations Canadian, all with roots in the UK. So even pale, delicate skin can wear well if genetics are on our side.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

I just asked you this question: Why do you consider a food with protein, fat, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, niacin, calcium, and riboflavin to be "empty calories"? What support do you have for this beyond "the US government said so"?

Agreed, every food has some nutritional content. But the question is, does the nutrition it contains outweigh the cost calorie-wise? So "empty calorie" foods are ones that have minimal nutritional value in relation to the amount of calories they contain.

Now, your government scientists (again) have made the following recommendation:

"FDA has taken the position that health claims can be used only if a serving of food contains ≥13 g fat, ≥4 g saturated fat, ≥60 mg cholesterol, and ≥960mg Na.

Also, healthy foods should contain ≥10% of daily values per serving for at least one of the
    following: protein, calcium, iron, vitamins A and C, and fibre.

Using comparable criteria, the USDA had defined foods of minimum nutritional value as
    those that failed to provide 5% of the reference daily intakes per serving for 8 key nutrients: protein, calcium, iron, vitamin A, vitamin C, riboflavin, thiamine, and niacin."

That sounds reasonable to me. Do you disagree with these guidelines?

If not, does your candy bar example qualify as a healthy food under these guidelines?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Agreed, every food has some nutritional content. But the question is, does the nutrition it contains outweigh the cost calorie-wise? So "empty calorie" foods are ones that have minimal nutritional value in relation to the amount of calories they contain.

Now, your government scientists (again) have made the following recommendation:

"FDA has taken the position that health claims can be used only if a serving of food contains ≥13 g fat, ≥4 g saturated fat, ≥60 mg cholesterol, and ≥960mg Na.

Also, healthy foods should contain ≥10% of daily values per serving for at least one of the
    following: protein, calcium, iron, vitamins A and C, and fibre.

Using comparable criteria, the USDA had defined foods of minimum nutritional value as
    those that failed to provide 5% of the reference daily intakes per serving for 8 key nutrients: protein, calcium, iron, vitamin A, vitamin C, riboflavin, thiamine, and niacin."

That sounds reasonable to me. Do you disagree with these guidelines?

If not, does your candy bar example qualify as a healthy food under these guidelines?
    Any food qualifies as healthy if it fits into ones goals

• Chrysalid2014
    Options
    Uh... ever heard of insulin resistance? Metabolic syndrome? Type 2 diabetes, perhaps?
    So insulin is bad? There is no positive side to insulin? What about metabolic syndrome? Eating sugar gives you diabetes? Do I have diabetes? How does the glucose in a Snickers metaboloze different than the glucose in fruit?

I didn't make a statement of any kind there, but I agree my question was badly phrased. It should have read: "Is there a connection between type 2 diabetes and diet?"

Regarding your subsequent questions:
    1. "So insulin is bad? There is no positive side to insulin?" (I'm assuming this was a joke question)
    2. "What about metabolic syndrome?" (Don't understand the question)
    3. "Eating sugar gives you diabetes?" (I don't know; that's what I was trying to ascertain with my original question)
    4. "Do I have diabetes?" (I have no idea whether you have diabetes or not. Perhaps you should see your doctor if you think you might?)
    5. "How does the glucose in a Snickers metaboloze different than the glucose in fruit?" (I believe candy, and fruit, both contain fructose, not glucose, but I could be wrong.)

• PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options

Astounding logic fail.

Simply astounding.

I've also never stated that my health problems are serious. They're just... health problems.

I think I know who you are now, or you're at least in contact with someone.

Nice ad hominem.

All the venom over 80 calories?