Questions about sugar

Options
Are any of you having a hard time going over on your sugars? I'm eating pretty healthy, yet I still keep going over on my sugars. Every single day. It's from the fruits. But I will not cut out my fruits. And I'm NOT giving up my ONE cup of coffee with creamer. I've cut enough out... I can't cut out those 2 things. How much is this going to affect my weight loss?

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It won't affect your weightloss at all as long as you're still in a calorie deficit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not at all. Those levels in MFP are minimums and you only need to concern yourself with going over any of them if you have a medical condition requiring you to keep them low.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It will not affect your weight loss at all, unless you eat so much sugar that you zoom past your calorie goal. MFP's number is I believe for "added" sugars.

I pay attention to protein -- i'm aiming at a minimum amount -- and disregard everything else. Maybe it's just my particular food choices, but doing that seems to result in all the other #s more or less taking care of themselves.
  • aliceandria
    aliceandria Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do you buy creamer? I can't remember where (probably Pinterest), but I found a recipe for homemade creamer. You could try that, or maybe eat fruits that have less sugar?

I'm no expert and just starting my journey, but just thought I would share the creamer idea! (On my third cup of coffee this morning, so I already know drinking my calories is gonna be an issue haha)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    It won't affect your weight loss at all. I turned off the "Sugar" reading in my diary and replaced it with Iron, since I'm anemic. You don't need to watch your sugar levels unless you're diabetic/insulin sensitive.

Calories in vs out determine weight loss, not sugar.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    So long as you are under calories you are good.
    Sugar gets demonized a lot, but that's more because it's snuck away in lots of processed foods (fruit juices, so much added sugar!). Seeing as you are having sugar in the product it originates in you don't have to worry so much about it creeping up!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I go over on sugar almost every day. I am still losing weight.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. No need to track it twice. Hit your carb goals and you are good to go.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I just stopped tracking it, since I have no medical reason to.

You can edit it to track anything else you desire: fibre, cholesterol, sodium, etc
  • jkwolly
    Options
    Sugar gets demonized a lot, but that's more because it's snuck away in lots of processed foods (fruit juices, so much added sugar!). Seeing as you are having sugar in the product it originates in you don't have to worry so much about it creeping up!
    Sugar is sugar, no matter where it comes from. And doesn't matter for weight loss w/o a medical condition.
  • virginiafernandez122
    Options
    I go over on sugar almost every day. I am still losing weight.

Yea me too..
  • alssatter
    alssatter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I go over my sugar a lot too. I think as long as it is the natural sugar that is in fruit and not the artificial sugar then you should be okay.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/29/fruit-sugar-versus-white-sugar_n_3497795.html
  • jkwolly
    Options
    alssatter wrote: »
    I go over my sugar a lot too. I think as long as it is the natural sugar that is in fruit and not the artificial sugar then you should be okay.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/29/fruit-sugar-versus-white-sugar_n_3497795.html
    If you actually read this, it says sugar is sugar

What they're debating is the nutrients in fruit.... which has nothing to do with how your body breaks down refined white sugar or sugar in fruits.

• crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Sugar is sugar, no matter where it comes from. And doesn't matter for weight loss w/o a medical condition.
    Agreed. My desire was to point out why it's demonized so much, it's snuck into a lot of things which, if you are watching sugar, can be dangerous. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    Agreed. My desire was to point out why it's demonized so much, it's snuck into a lot of things which, if you are watching sugar, can be dangerous. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.
    Phew! :kissing_heart:
  • clmoore50
    clmoore50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not the only one going over on my sugar every day. Trying to eat the correct servings of fruits and vegetables every day and still going over is making me feel like I am doing something wrong.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    Phew! :kissing_heart:

Ha! One day I'm gonna go all trippy on you guys and really freak you out!

In reality though OP, yes, assuming you don't have diabetes you can loose weight eating nothing but tasty tasty butterscotch krimpets so long as you keep under your calorie goal.
    I'm not really one for documentary = science, but watch Supersize Me and Fat Head back to back. In one a man gains weight eating nothing but fast food. In the other a man looses 12lbs doing the same but keeping it to 2000kcal.
    Fun times!
  • jenhill76
    jenhill76 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm not going to worry about it so long as it's "healthy" and natural sugar I'm consuming... and not from a snickers bar haha!
  • jkwolly
    Options
    jenhill76 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! I'm not going to worry about it so long as it's "healthy" and natural sugar I'm consuming... and not from a snickers bar haha!
    Did you not read anything else in the thread?

SMH.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jenhill76 wrote: »
    2KODfWh.gif