Questions about sugar

Options

Replies

• zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    jenhill76 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! I'm not going to worry about it so long as it's "healthy" and natural sugar I'm consuming... and not from a snickers bar haha!
    Did you not read anything else in the thread?

SMH.

I think OP is right here. When you are restricting calories you should try to eat things that will benefit your body. If you are eating fruit you are clearly benefiting your body far more than a snickers would. What is weightloss without health.

Eating a Snickers bar, in the context of meeting your nutritional goals, isn't going to damage your health. And the Snickers bar does contain things that benefit your body.

By that same token, getting 500% of my vitamin C today won't make me 1/5 as likely to catch cold tomorrow. There are no bonus points for doing "better" than recommended on your macro and micronutrient goals, as far as I know.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Snickers bars are delicious. Peanuts, caramel, nougat, and chocolate? Delectable combination right there. Because of this thread, I think I'm going to buy a pack of the Fun Size for a little treat here or there. Those are usually enough for me. They're the only "not quality" chocolate I still like.

They are good for the soul. Never underestimate the value of meeting your mental/emotional/inner child needs after your nutritional goals have been met. There's no food police handing out gold stars to the good little girls and boys who only ever eat nutritious food all the time. Treats here or there are not going to derail an overall nutritious diet.

Anyway...

I always like to share the story of the day I went over on my MFP sugar allowance simply from eating cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt, and vegetables. No fruit. Just a LOT of cauliflower.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! I'm not going to worry about it so long as it's "healthy" and natural sugar I'm consuming... and not from a snickers bar haha!

SMH.

I think OP is right here. When you are restricting calories you should try to eat things that will benefit your body. If you are eating fruit you are clearly benefiting your body far more than a snickers would. What is weightloss without health.

Eating a Snickers bar, in the context of meeting your nutritional goals, isn't going to damage your health. And the Snickers bar does contain things that benefit your body.

By that same token, getting 500% of my vitamin C today won't make me 1/5 as likely to catch cold tomorrow. There are no bonus points for doing "better" than recommended on your macro and micronutrient goals, as far as I know.

agreed....there is nothing wrong with snickers nutritionally
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

SMH.

I think you are wrong here. As luck would have it, this is part of my planned menu for tomorrow.cswnx424l4ch.png

The bottom numbers are my macro goals for the day. The top numbers are what I (will have) logged for the day. Tell me the problem with the Snickers here.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

SMH.

Exactly. The important thing is to look at the context in which the Snickers bar (or anything) is eaten.

Eating too much of anything could be an issue because it is either going to put you over your calories or crowd out other things that you need. The "too much" could be Snickers or fruit -- it's just that certain foods are more "craveable" than others so they're more like to be associated with weight gain. But that doesn't make those foods, in themselves, bad.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

SMH.

I think you are wrong here. As luck would have it, this is part of my planned menu for tomorrow.cswnx424l4ch.png

The bottom numbers are my macro goals for the day. The top numbers are what I (will have) logged for the day. Tell me the problem with the Snickers here.

Math problem is you didn't fit in two :kissing_heart:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

SMH.

No problem with the Snickers...

...but your fat target seems deleteriously low.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

SMH.

So 1 snickers will make you unhealthy?

Of course...

...because Snickers.

What part of "junk food", "empty calories", "crap", etc. do you not understand?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Just because "everyone" is doing it doesn't mean that it is OK.

Many people can lose weight while consuming too much sugar. Some of us cannot. It's not only a question of weight loss--too much sugar in your diet isn't great for long-term health.

I manage to eat a fair amount of chocolate and fruit and still not go over my sugar allowance. Switch some of your fruit consumption to vegetable consumption. It's not that hard.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

SMH.

No problem with the Snickers...

...but your fat target seems deleteriously low.
    It is low on workout days. It's 58g on non-workout days.

Edited to add: On a weekly basis, I target 24.37% of my calories being from fat. Is that deleteriously low, in your view?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Many people can lose weight while consuming too much sugar. Some of us cannot. It's not only a question of weight loss--too much sugar in your diet isn't great for long-term health.

I manage to eat a fair amount of chocolate and fruit and still not go over my sugar allowance. Switch some of your fruit consumption to vegetable consumption. It's not that hard.

Did you read my post about the day I went over on sugar from consuming dairy and vegetables? No fruit?

Besides, how much is "too much"?

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

How much is too much? How much ice cream is okay?
    And show me where it says too much is bad, not including a medical condition.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

SMH.

Math problem is you didn't fit in two :kissing_heart:
    Heck, I thought I did OK working in one, given the circumstances. Two will have to wait until I'm bulking, I think.

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people join healthy food and weight loss together, when really it just isn't so.
    Weight loss is calorie based in a healthy person, that is all. You can lose weight eating nothing but snickers bars!
    Healthy eating tends to shy away from heavily processed foods, but you can still gain weight by eating too-big portions.

The reason they get mixed up is because it's usually easier to over eat the processed stuff vs. The unprocessed stuff (I get almost all food is processed somehow, bear with me).

A snickers bar woulnt fill me up at lunchtime, but eating the same amount if calories in chicken will. Why? More bang for your buck. My body gets the same amount of energy, but it feels fuller longer, plus the distribution of macros better suit me for staying awake/alert vs the sugar heavy candy.

There is a correlation between highly processed foods (like candy) and weight gain, but that doesn't mean they *cause* weight gain. The correlation is there because people generally over eat processed foods as they are less satisfying. If that's all you're eating it can add up fast!

So there is no good or bad carbs, no good or bad sugar, they all break down to glucose, fructose and....ok I forget the third. Point is your body treats the sugars the same way no matter the source.

An apple is a better choice than a candy for reasons beyond it's sugar content, and candy is only a bad choice if it doesn't fit into an already balanced diet.

/rant
  • jenhill76
    jenhill76 Posts: 23
    Options

You asked a question, we're given the same answer by maybe 10 people and you got 1 person that clicked a link she didn't understand and you decided to follow that 1 person. Well done. Why bother asking when you knew the answer you wanted?

RUDE MUCH??? I'm not following that advice... I'm saying I'm not going to worry about the sugar from HEALTHY foods. Stay off my post if you can't be NICE!