Questions about sugar

Options

Replies

• jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I saw this. I have the same exact problem and was going to post something similar. I came here to do just that and this was the first thing I saw!!
  • loganrandy69
    loganrandy69 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    alssatter wrote: »
    I go over my sugar a lot too. I think as long as it is the natural sugar that is in fruit and not the artificial sugar then you should be okay.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/29/fruit-sugar-versus-white-sugar_n_3497795.html

That article says a lot without saying much at all, like most stuff from HuffPo. "Fruit has more nutrients than a candy bar.".... well, ya.

OP, your sugar intake is not a problem. Have a second cup of your coffee. Don't have a double caramel macchiato latte half caff with a twist of lemon from Starbucks.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    jenhill76 wrote: »
    Are any of you having a hard time going over on your sugars? I'm eating pretty healthy, yet I still keep going over on my sugars. Every single day. It's from the fruits. But I will not cut out my fruits. And I'm NOT giving up my ONE cup of coffee with creamer. I've cut enough out... I can't cut out those 2 things. How much is this going to affect my weight loss?

This has been my problem too. Thank you for discussing this subject. I love fruit and that is where my sugar affects my sugar allowance. I also switched to honey as my sweetner in coffee. To lessen my sugar intake, I tried to go back to Splenda...I can't. I really like the honey.

Thanks everyone for your input. This helps!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm not going to worry about it so long as it's "healthy" and natural sugar I'm consuming... and not from a snickers bar haha!

All sugar is "natural"
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i don't even have sugars listed on my foods page. i have calories only. :#
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

@WeddedBliss1992 If you click on "FOOD" and then "Settings". There you can customize your food page.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options

@WeddedBliss1992 If you click on "FOOD" and then "Settings". There you can customize your food page.

yes, i intentionally set it for calories only :smile:

• Acal01
    Acal01 Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sugar eventually becomes insuline, and insuline is what, at the end of the road, becomes fat. It does makes you fat. But the key on this is to lower the consumption, not giving it up. As long as you don't get overdosed, it'll be just fine.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sugar eventually becomes insuline, and insuline is what, at the end of the road, becomes fat.

Not in a calorie deficit...

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Sugar eventually becomes insuline, and insuline is what, at the end of the road, becomes fat. It does makes you fat. But the key on this is to lower the consumption, not giving it up. As long as you don't get overdosed, it'll be just fine.
    Excess calories are the issue there.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Sugar eventually becomes insuline, and insuline is what, at the end of the road, becomes fat.

Not ever.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Sugar does not "become" insulin. Insulin is produced by the pancreas to help blood sugar enter the cells. Nor does insulin "become" fat. It's as if you half paid attention during a lecture or something -- no offense.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

No, just no. Insulin is released in response to glucose. Insulin transports the glucose to the cells in your body, so is kind of important. Insulin also does a bunch of other things too. It does transport excess glucose to fat cells but the glucose is released just as fast if the person is eating fewer calories than they consume.

The MFP settings for sugar are kind of low, based on the WHO guidelines for "free sugar". The WHO defines "free sugars" as those added sugars we find in processed foods. But MFP has no way of distinguishing between "free sugar" and the sugar that comes naturally with fruits.

Happily eat your fruit.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

Not ever.

True - excess calories from sugar (or whatever) would become fat. Thanks for clearing it up.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

Sugar does not "become" insulin. Insulin is produced by the pancreas to help blood sugar enter the cells. Nor does insulin "become" fat. It's as if you half paid attention during a lecture or something -- no offense.

THANK YOU
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Are any of you having a hard time going over on your sugars? I'm eating pretty healthy, yet I still keep going over on my sugars. Every single day. It's from the fruits. But I will not cut out my fruits. And I'm NOT giving up my ONE cup of coffee with creamer. I've cut enough out... I can't cut out those 2 things. How much is this going to affect my weight loss?

As everyone else has said, this is not a problem. Personally speaking, I focus on eating plenty of fibre, after that sugar intake is irrelevant.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

So adjust your daily sugar goal?

And as long as you're hitting your calorie goal, going over the arbitrary default MFP sugar target won't affect weight loss at all.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! I'm not going to worry about it so long as it's "healthy" and natural sugar I'm consuming... and not from a snickers bar haha!
    Did you not read anything else in the thread?

SMH.

I know right...

OP there is nothing wrong with a snickers...actually might change my cadbury to a snickers today now that you mention it...oh btw I have nearly doubled my sugar for today...from fruit, sugar and my chocolate from later tonight.

• HeatherZousel
    HeatherZousel Posts: 62 Member
    Options

SMH.

I think OP is right here. When you are restricting calories you should try to eat things that will benefit your body. If you are eating fruit you are clearly benefiting your body far more than a snickers would. What is weightloss without health.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

SMH.

I think OP is right here. When you are restricting calories you should try to eat things that will benefit your body. If you are eating fruit you are clearly benefiting your body far more than a snickers would. What is weightloss without health.

Eating a Snickers bar, in the context of meeting your nutritional goals, isn't going to damage your health. And the Snickers bar does contain things that benefit your body.