Can someone cut through the bull and tell me the truth!

Options
loxottica
loxottica Posts: 26 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm so tired of searching, googling, reading about "do this and do that" "and eat this and eat that"....

I just want to know the truth, the facts not the "it may" do this or that..

what am I referring to? work outs.. some say:

1. do cardio only for weight loss
2. do weights only for weight loss
3. do hiit only..
4. do slooooow long runs
5. work out only in the morning on empty stomach
6. work out when ever...
7. eat ... dont eat b4 working out...

do you see what I'm saying?? the list keeps going on! this is all so confusing...

I'm 39, 5'1 and I have 40lbs to hit my goal (125lbs). I'm a single mom of 2 little ones so I'm a bit sleep deprived most of the times. So I have signed up for gym where I work so I can go on my lunch hours.

My goal for now is to lose weight so I can fit into my work clothes as I just cant afford to buy new ones. Once I can get into them I can focus on the body definition that I want. But I just need to fit into my work clothes!

So I'm asking for help and I guess I'm venting a little...
..can you help?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So two big things. well 3.

1.) Calories- you must be at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Period. No working out required.
    2.) Lifting weights will help retain muscle mass so you don't just look like a smaller version of what you are now.
    3.) A well rounded fitness program for your health and wellness should/will include a cardiovascular component and a strength/resistance training program.

Those are the 3 big things.

You can start with the calories- that's easy. Log daily- buy a food scale- use MFP- or google TDEE and use that- either one is fine.

As for cardio- either for running- try couch to 5K- great beginner program- if you want to run. walking is fine- row machine- bike- whatever- not relevant unless you have a specific goal in mind.

For lifting
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting
    starting strength
    strong curves

or you can do body weight-
    body by you
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

all great places to get started!
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you on the myraid of misinformation, half truths, and other BS. I felt the same way when I started my journey a few years ago and even now I get conflicting info on diets and weight lifting.

If I were you, Id concentrate on managebale dietary changes along with mostly cardio for pure weight loss. Thats what I did and it worked. Now,. you will lose some muscle too and thats where weight lifting comes in along with making sure to get enough protein in your diet. You can do mostly cardio with a few days of strength training to balance it out.

Do NOT worry about when you workout, avoiding carbs, taking supplements, and much of the other "hype" related crap. I was doing cardio every other day religiously during the peak of my weight loss along with mostly "smart" eating and it worked great for me.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The reason there is so much confusion is because many things work for different people. My suggestion for a minimum well rounded basic fitness plan...strength train 2-3x a week. Do some steady state cardio if you enjoy it, but its not required. Walking often is never a bad thing though. Do a HIIT workout 1-2x a week.
    As for the rest of your questions, they don't really matter and are completely individual preferences.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Moderate calorie deficit coupled with adequate protein.

Do any physical activity you want. Something you'll enjoy, that you'll keep doing 'cause you like it.

You may pick a specific physical activity for some specific goal (e.g. running to compete in a race, lifting to get stronger, etc). But for losing weight it doesn't matter. Only a calorie deficit matters and that's achieved mostly through diet (although small people find activity helps them eat a bit more and still maintain a deficit more easily)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

1.) Calories- you must be at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Period. No working out required.
    2.) Lifting weights will help retain muscle mass so you don't just look like a smaller version of what you are now.
    3.) A well rounded fitness program for your health and wellness should/will include a cardiovascular component and a strength/resistance training program.

You can start with the calories- that's easy. Log daily- buy a food scale- use MFP- or google TDEE and use that- either one is fine.

As for cardio- either for running- try couch to 5K- great beginner program- if you want to run. walking is fine- row machine- bike- whatever- not relevant unless you have a specific goal in mind.

For lifting
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting
    starting strength
    strong curves

body by you
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

^This.

She is clinically insane, but she knows what she's talking about.

I would just like to add: Convict Conditioning is my go-to program for strength training.

Also vouching for Couch to 5K, however I would go a step forward and suggest:

beginningrunnershandbook.jpg

It has a flexible workout program in it. Also, it EXPLAINS to you why you should do things certain ways, instead of just saying "Hey, do this."
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Maintain a calorie deficit through good diet.

Do the type of exercise you like doing and can perform regularly.

Live long and prosper.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    loxottica wrote: »
    1. do cardio only for weight loss
    2. do weights only for weight loss

Weight loss is a function of eating at a calorie deficit. Cardiovascular work helps build aerobic capacity and stamina, it also helps to generate a calorie deficit. Resistance training helps to maintain lean mass in weight loss so tends to encourage an improvement in bodyfat percentage.

the three work in concert with one another.
    do hiit only..

HIIT is certainly fashionable, but many people advocating it on here aren't really advocating HIIT.

If one has an adequate aerobic base then HIIT can help to improve VO2Max.
    do slooooow long runs

If you have the aerobic capacity to do long steady paced runs then they're useful. Personally I'm an endurance runner, so I do them as part of my training. For simple weight loss, you're into diminishing returns if you're doing more than about 45 minutes 3-4 times per week.
    7. work out only in the morning on empty stomach
    8. work out when ever...
    9. eat ... dont eat b4 working out...

Timing isn't important for weight loss related training. The main driver is find a routine that you can stick with. If that's mornings, then use that knowledge, if it's evenings then use that knowledge.

Personally I do my recovery and speed sessions in the evenings, and my long steady runs in the forenoon. I've done a couple of my 2-3 hour sessions in the evening and I don't get the same out of them, whereas my shorter 1-1.5hr sessions can fit in anywhere and evenings is easily manageable with work.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Somebody already has. Check out this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Basically: set up MPF with correct data, choosing a reasonable weekly goal. Log accurately and stick to your deficit. Exercise, and log calories from it, but be careful with your estimates because MPF's database and many machines and HRMs inflate calories burned. After a month, check your real progress against your estimate and make adjustments.

Lots of people will tell you that their preferred form of exercise is the one to do. Personally, I enjoy cycling, running, and hiking, so I do them frequently, and do a minimal amount of strength training to preserve muscle mass. Other people enjoy lifting heavy and do that. Don't search for the optimal exercise routine; find one that is OK and that you enjoy and will stick with.

Good luck!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The truth... without the BS:

1) If you want to lose fat, you'll need to eat in a caloric deficit.
    2) It is best to lose weight slowly, around 1- 1.5 lbs a week is a good, steady rate of fat loss and is sustainable for the long term.
    3) You will get the best benefits from your training if you do some form of resistance training and cardio.
    4) You can do low intensity steady state (LISS) or high intensity interval training (HIIT)to lose fat. In my opinion, it is best to alternate the two.
    5) For your strength training, it is best to hop on a proven plan. Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 and New Rules of Lifting for Women are all good plans. Pick one and stick with it.
    6) Doing cardio in the morning before eating is a good way to burn fat but you don't have to do it that way to get good results. Just get your training in when you have the opportunity to. It is most important that you get to train at all.
    7) You can eat before you train if you have to, just don't eat anything heavy because it could negatively impact your training session if you get nauseous (You probably won't be eating heavy things anyway since you are trying to lose weight).
    8) People will nitpick and give you a hard time about tiny little details in your plan. Just keep in mind that those tiny little details are not nearly as important as the big picture. Also, remember that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Some people will say you need to be on a keto diet, somebody will tell you that you have to do yoga, somebody will tell you that you have to do P90X, etc.... All of those things are tools in your toolbox but you don't have to use all of those tools all the time. Find your groove and stay there until you hit your goals. Good luck.
  • JoRocka
    Options

For lifting
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting
    starting strength
    strong curves

body by you
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

^This.

She is clinically insane, but she knows what she's talking about.

>:)

we need a better "crazy eyes" emoticon.

and with my internet situation at work- I cannot interject anything other than the MFP mandated horned smiley- which feels completely bereft of my intentions- but alas- it's all I got.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

For lifting
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting
    starting strength
    strong curves

body by you
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

Agreed.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My 2 cents.......

1. do cardio only for weight loss .....cardio typically burns more calories than strength training. If your only goal is burning calories....carry on. I do cardio (in part) because I want to keep a decent endurance level and it's good for my heart.

2. do weights only for weight loss....strength training while eating at a deficit helps you keep more lean muscle. This is very important, but it's not the only aspect of fitness.

3. do hiit only. Copied a definition...." This type of training gets and keeps your heart rate up and burns more fat in less time." ....time efficiency. If you like this type of workout, if you can do high impact....go for it. ....see number 6

6. work out when ever...there may be small benefits to working out first thing. You get it out of the way....less distraction....you've done the work....so this may motivate you to make good choices the rest of the day. However, if you cannot consistently workout in the a.m......then any time you can be consistent is better.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I get you. Every issue becomes polarized, despite the fact that 1. Every person is different and 2. Usually you should just go for a happy medium.

The things that pretty much everyone here will agree on is diet and creating a deficit is more important for pure uncomplicated weight loss. Exercise helps you eat more and get healthy, but you can't out exercise a bad diet.

As for cardio vs strength: Do exercise that you like, you're more likely to stick with it. Both have different health benefits, but for a beginner either is going to do you good, and you can always add on to your routine once you're working out regularly.

And if you go at lunch time, experiment with the timing of your meal. I get cramps if I work out right after eating, but I can't be hungry.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    The problem is there are very few rules that apply to all.

With exercise it is very much "...whatever works for you".

The one "Universal" is Calories in vs Calories out. Eat less than you burn and you WILL lose weight.

Cardio burns a lot of calories and so will help with that defecit.

Some feel HIIT burns more/is a more efficient work out to reach the same aim. I find it puts me on my *kitten* and stops me from doing anything else for a few days!

Weights dont burn a great deal of calories, but they do work wonders for your shape. Look in the success stories forum - so many people doing weights have gained a few pounds over all but look much slimmer, leaner and fitter.

If working out on an empty stomach works for you, great, if not eat before hand.

If lunchtimes are when you can really get a workout in, fantastic - it matters not WHEN you do it, just that you do it.

Sorry to say, its essentially a lot of trial and error to dial in what is the best way for the individual.
  • MarciRenee74
    MarciRenee74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think that you're gonna find a million different answers to this question...so choose what you want to try and go do it. If it works for you, keep at it. If it doesn't work for you or you hate it, toss it. There are contradictions in all of weight loss / nutrition / working out so you just have to decide what you are willing to trust (bc everything seems to have some, at least a bit, of basis in research. And what we know now is totally different than what we knew 10 years ago.

And it also depends on what you're trying to "get out of" working out. Weight loss, maintenance, increase in stamina/strength, mood benefits, etc...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Also- just to mention- running isn't REQUIRED.

But like walking- it's easy- and pretty much free outside the shoe issue- and even then you don't need amazing high tech 200$ shoes- but it's recommended because it IS easy- and there are free resources available that make it fun and easy (Zombie Run for example) but it isn't required.

But it doesn't HAVE to be your method of "cardio" jump rope- run up stairs- swimming- walking your dog briskly- a bike if you have it for outside- playing hockey- tennis- whatever gets your heart rate up for more than like 5 seconds. It's cardiovascular work. You are working your heart and lungs. So how you do it really isnt' relevant - just do something you LIKE doing (no- sex doesn't count- it typically doesn't last long enough to get the desired effect- but that is good for you- so do that too)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes. Weight loss is about burning more calories than you consume. This can be done without exercising at all.

1. Cardio is great for your health and energy. Do cardio if you enjoy it and want the health benefits. It burns more calories than sitting around so it will accelerate fat loss assuming you don't eat back the calories burned.

2. Lifting weights will burn some calories, but the primary reason for weight lifting on a diet is to preserve your muscle mass. If you don't lift weights and eat a good amount of protein while in a deficit your body will break down your muscle to use its amino acids for repair and growth. For this reason resistance training on a diet is essential in my opinion.

3. HIIT is a great form of cardio. Why? You can get the same benefits from a 20minute HIIT session as an hour or more steady state cardio session. It saves time, but it's brutal. There may be some other benefits associated with HIIT that you can't get through regular cardio.

5. Slow long runs aren't really the way to go for cardio in my opinion. This is because they are so damn time consuming. I would rather be doing something else than running for hours on end. But, if you enjoy it and it motivates you, then by all means do it.

5. The myth here is that if you work out on an empty stomach your body needs to dip into fat stores for energy because your body is fasted. Even if that were true, the effect would negligible. Work out when it's convenient for you. If your strength training and lifting heavy, then it's not a good idea to work out fasted. Your body needs the fuel to keep your strength high so you can set new records.

6. Work out whenever. I agree with this. If you only give yourself a window to work out in, the chances are high you'll miss a lot of workouts. Workout whenever you can fit it in your schedule, but make it a habit so you do it every week.

7. Eating / not eating before a workout has no bearing on weightloss. There are benefits to eating before and after strength training when trying to build muscle. If you're doing a resistance routine, then eat some protein and carbs after your resistance training to keep your muscles fed. You can do a whey protein shake before your workout also since its a light meal that won't make you uncomfortable while working out. It really just comes down to your preference.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

For lifting
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting
    starting strength
    strong curves

body by you
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

Another vote for Jo's advice. And she scares the bejeezus out of me so I'm not going to comment on her level of sanity. o:):#

• JoRocka
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

For lifting
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting
    starting strength
    strong curves

body by you
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

Another vote for Jo's advice. And she scares the bejeezus out of me so I'm not going to comment on her level of sanity. o:):#

BAW HA HA HA HA HA_ I'm HARMLESS!!!

I SWEARZ IT <rubs hand together gleefully!>

HARMLESS!!!!
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Find your maitanance Cals then ..take 500-300 Cals from it .. That's you deficit. Try to cut empty Cals from your daily foods. And yes you can do cardio if you want .. You don't have to do 1h of it with 10 minutes after each session . And hit them weights