trying burpee challenge

Options

Replies

• cumminsrat
    cumminsrat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    day three done,
    6 burpies total so far.
    and I decided that since I want to increase my upper body strength, that I'll add the pushups.

but it takes away from the cardio aspect since I pause for the pushup
    so which variation of this do you guys prefer
    i do them with the pushup included as well as jumping with high knees when you come up stand
  • nottaquitter
    nottaquitter Posts: 130
    Options
    This morning I did a 50yrd duck walk then straight into 15 burpees then duck walk back. But I like the sound of that high knee jump.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Day 2 10 burpees....However I cant really take the credit since I had two shots of espresso this morning. LOL

LOL
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the cross fit burpee pull-ups.

1. Start under a pull-up bar
    2. Jump up, do a pull up
    3. Lower down then release
    4. As you release drop down into a "tuck" position (arms in push-up position, but legs close to your body)
    5. Extend your legs out to a full push-up position
    6. Do a push-up
    7. Hop back into Step 4
    8. Explode upward into Step 2
    9. Repeat

Max heart-rate, super fun, super hard at first...my favorite exercise

Disclaimer: I suck at remember fitness position names, so deal with my weird explanations ;-)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I already fumbled. Didn't do any burpees this weekend. Didn't remember them until after I'd eaten dinner and by then I was too full to jump around. sigh. Gym tonight - I'll do more than a couple to pay for my mistake!
  • shemyg06
    shemyg06 Posts: 84
    Options
    I was told the challenge has 100 days, I prolly wont make it that far, but day 8 was just completed for me,
    I cant do a pull up yet so ill hold off on that exercise until I can sir
  • nottaquitter
    Options
    I already fumbled. Didn't do any burpees this weekend. Didn't remember them until after I'd eaten dinner and by then I was too full to jump around. sigh. Gym tonight - I'll do more than a couple to pay for my mistake!
    Totally diggin your dedication.
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'll give it a try...and possibly post up a video. I've never done this though.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Congrats, sir, burpees are dang hard!

I do them sometimes in my monthly workout rotation, the worst workout is the 50 burpee day, Even with girlie knee pushups they are so hard they always leave me sore from the jump at the end. When I do them they are definitely a cardio exercise!

Keep up the burpees!
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Day 3. Feeling sore as hell...just the way I like it.
    @Myxalplyx I have the video but it downloaded upside down. Should I still post it on fitness fb or forget about it.

Guess we can stand on our heads and watch it. Lol

Edit: Just did these for the first time. Omg! I used a pull-up bar and changed up from wide grip to close grip and my push-ups where diamond push ups. Tell me why my heart rate got up to 172bpm. I'm trying to put up a video now. It was awesome...thanks. Owww...
  • nottaquitter
    Options
    Would be cool if anyone made a video of themselves doing burpees.
    Okay posted my burpee video on My fitness fb page its processing now. Only its 3 days old. LOL
  • nottaquitter
    Options
    Would be cool if anyone made a video of themselves doing burpees.
    Okay posted my burpee video on My fitness fb page its processing now. Only its 3 days old. LOL
    By the way my fb username is Lets Hike
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

:huh: If that was not meant in sarcasm, you may disregard my comments below.

I have two children, both of which require full time attention with ADHD and a suspected learning disability in one. We have karate 4 nights a week. We get home from karate in time for dinner, baths, and bedtime for the kids, at which point the hubby and I do laundry, dishes, and general cleaning. Exhausted by 8p, I usually fall into bed around 10p and am still desperately trying to drag myself out of bed at 7:30a to be at work no later than 8:30a after taking aforementioned ADHD kids to school. Ever tried to get ADHD kids to dress themselves? I shouldn't stereotype all ADHD kids, so let me rephrase -- it takes one on one attention and 10 minutes to get them changed into clothes, not to mention brushing teeth and hair. One of mine has ODD (oppositional defiance disorder) and will swing into it occasionally, refusing every directive to get ready in the morning. Of course I must force the issue of putting on clothes, brushing teeth and hair, so she gets angry and then will erupt into an emotional display that I have to calm down before school, or it will snowball from there. (We've done therapy... unless you've dealt with it, you can't fully comprehend.) It's like herding cats. My husband's grandmother fell and broke her hip last week, so we've been helping take care of her. A dear friend is going through a crisis right now and needs me on the phone with her a great deal, and she deserves the time more than a burpee.

Being 65 lbs overweight with high blood pressure, my joints ache. I get migraines- drop it low or high quickly with any exercise with a migraine and deal with overwhelming pressure and pain. I am under treatment from a pain intervention clinic for muscular back pain which can lay me out for days at a time. I work a desk job which further aggravates my back.

While the kids do karate, if I've had time to get changed out for the gym (I get home with 10-15 minutes to get everyone changed and out the door to karate... and remember the 'changing clothes' issues I've already mentioned), I use the treadmill at the gym, usually followed by kickboxing (minus the kicks because I can't get the form right and I'm scared to death to mess up my back again). I never remember to do a burpee, as I'm trying to focus on my workout while keeping an eye on class to ensure the kids are paying attention and not acting out. I generally let their instructors handle issues that arise, unless the kids repeatedly disobey, at which point I walk out and quietly whisper a death threat into my child's ear, which typically works.

So my dedication is not to the burpee -- it's to my family and me simply surviving life. And given school is out for summer, my life is much easier now. Toss in homework with the two ADHD kids and it's as frustrating as trying to swat flies away from a picnic. (FYI: I did behavior modification therapy and diet changes [Feingold] with the kids. Nothing worked. One is medicated, and likely needs a higher dose as well as an anxiety medication, but it breaks my heart to do that, fearful the meds will go too far and she will be a zombie or have side effects later in life. The other is unmedicated as of yet, but as he starts kindergarten in the fall, I have a feeling medication will be necessary, since he's recently become the class bully and disruptive at preschool. We might need to add therapy in his routine. Did I mention the number of parent teacher conferences I attend?)

I read your profile and saw you are very active and seem to be very fit. I once went to the gym 5x a week during my lunch break. During that point in my life, this burpee challenge would have been easy to keep in the forefront of my mind.

Again, if no sarcasm was meant in your comment, then disregard my indignation.
    If sarcasm was meant, please read above and know that I am sincere when I say Get Bent.
    Everyone has a busy life. Everyone has stress. Everyone goes through periods of extreme overload.
    But not everyone has compassion or the ability to bite their tongue.
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post OP. I'm inspired to do my own burgee challenge now. Right now.
    There. I did my first one. I can't imaging 10 of those! You rock for getting us doing these things!
  • shemyg06
    Options
    lets all remember this board should be motivational, we will all have out off day, hard to go 100 days without missins a beat, right
    don't know if yall noticed but ive already missed one day, lol
    but lets all just keep up the good work
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Noticed your 3 lb drop, Shemy. WTG :smile:
  • shemyg06
    Options
    thanks, and I just did my 9 burpies today, this isn't getting any easier, lol. but I wouldn't have it any other way
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    WTG @ 9! I have a race this weekend, so no burpees for a few days. I'll try and post my fun version next week.
  • nottaquitter
    Options
    Never sarcasm. You mentioned making up for the days you lost and I found that admirable. I believe no one has any right to stand in judgement of another. For me this journey is about dedication and change and I sensed that in your comment. Please forgive for any misunderstanding. I'm all about encouragement and sharing my journey with others.:flowerforyou:
    Speaking of which....Its burpee time.

:huh: If that was not meant in sarcasm, you may disregard my comments below.

I have two children, both of which require full time attention with ADHD and a suspected learning disability in one. We have karate 4 nights a week. We get home from karate in time for dinner, baths, and bedtime for the kids, at which point the hubby and I do laundry, dishes, and general cleaning. Exhausted by 8p, I usually fall into bed around 10p and am still desperately trying to drag myself out of bed at 7:30a to be at work no later than 8:30a after taking aforementioned ADHD kids to school. Ever tried to get ADHD kids to dress themselves? I shouldn't stereotype all ADHD kids, so let me rephrase -- it takes one on one attention and 10 minutes to get them changed into clothes, not to mention brushing teeth and hair. One of mine has ODD (oppositional defiance disorder) and will swing into it occasionally, refusing every directive to get ready in the morning. Of course I must force the issue of putting on clothes, brushing teeth and hair, so she gets angry and then will erupt into an emotional display that I have to calm down before school, or it will snowball from there. (We've done therapy... unless you've dealt with it, you can't fully comprehend.) It's like herding cats. My husband's grandmother fell and broke her hip last week, so we've been helping take care of her. A dear friend is going through a crisis right now and needs me on the phone with her a great deal, and she deserves the time more than a burpee.

Being 65 lbs overweight with high blood pressure, my joints ache. I get migraines- drop it low or high quickly with any exercise with a migraine and deal with overwhelming pressure and pain. I am under treatment from a pain intervention clinic for muscular back pain which can lay me out for days at a time. I work a desk job which further aggravates my back.

While the kids do karate, if I've had time to get changed out for the gym (I get home with 10-15 minutes to get everyone changed and out the door to karate... and remember the 'changing clothes' issues I've already mentioned), I use the treadmill at the gym, usually followed by kickboxing (minus the kicks because I can't get the form right and I'm scared to death to mess up my back again). I never remember to do a burpee, as I'm trying to focus on my workout while keeping an eye on class to ensure the kids are paying attention and not acting out. I generally let their instructors handle issues that arise, unless the kids repeatedly disobey, at which point I walk out and quietly whisper a death threat into my child's ear, which typically works.

So my dedication is not to the burpee -- it's to my family and me simply surviving life. And given school is out for summer, my life is much easier now. Toss in homework with the two ADHD kids and it's as frustrating as trying to swat flies away from a picnic. (FYI: I did behavior modification therapy and diet changes [Feingold] with the kids. Nothing worked. One is medicated, and likely needs a higher dose as well as an anxiety medication, but it breaks my heart to do that, fearful the meds will go too far and she will be a zombie or have side effects later in life. The other is unmedicated as of yet, but as he starts kindergarten in the fall, I have a feeling medication will be necessary, since he's recently become the class bully and disruptive at preschool. We might need to add therapy in his routine. Did I mention the number of parent teacher conferences I attend?)

I read your profile and saw you are very active and seem to be very fit. I once went to the gym 5x a week during my lunch break. During that point in my life, this burpee challenge would have been easy to keep in the forefront of my mind.

Again, if no sarcasm was meant in your comment, then disregard my indignation.
    If sarcasm was meant, please read above and know that I am sincere when I say Get Bent.
    Everyone has a busy life. Everyone has stress. Everyone goes through periods of extreme overload.
    But not everyone has compassion or the ability to bite their tongue.
  • cherissaporter
    Options
    I hate Burpees but of course do them anyway.

To add a little intensity I would try doing jumping jack, cross jab, (if you can) fall into push up posistion, push up, inch worm feet to hands, and then your final jump