Tried my first quest bar after reading all the hype here...

Options
1235»

Replies

• RBillard
    RBillard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    there are only 4 flavors i think that have stevia/xylitol instead of sucralose, of those i prefer the cinnamon roll flavor. for taste the chocolate chip cookie dough is my fave but i only get that if there are no cinnamon roll boxes in stock. they fit my macros and help with my daily fiber count, i do wish they were less than $35 a box though. i've tasted some nasty protein bars in the past, so these taste like pure candy in comparison.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    The worst flavors in my opinion are:

Lemon Cream
    Strawberry Cheesecake
    Double Chocolate Chunk (I had to give my sister the rest of the box)

Middle ground:

Brownie (haven't had this one in awhile but remember it was good)
    S'Mores (doesn't taste like a S'Mores exactly but not pretty tasty)

Best:

White Chocolate Raspberry. This one is so delicious! Every now & then a seed or two will get stuck in my teeth which is annoying

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    LacednLace wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    Taste/texture was fine...but sucralose (noticed after eating)? I thought this was the "chemical" free nutrition bar?

Its a sweetener but everything is considered a chemical to some degree. Even organic or all natural items will have some form of chemical. Maybe call them and request to know why the false disclaimer or how they see it as true?

Everything is a chemical. John knows this. Even water is a chemical. John knows this. He put the "chemical" in quotes because it is used on this board by people who aren't aware as a way to say something is bad..."eww, don't drink diet coke, it's full of chemicals!".

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    But I think 18 grams of fiber at once is not a good idea. .... I have had gastric bypass.....
    perhaps because of your GI surgery maybe- but most people should be more than capable of consuming more than 18 grams of fiber at a time.

If you do- perhaps you should eat more fiber regularly- that shouldn't cause issues.
    LOL kale hater here Quest are okay just too much $$
    cosign

lots of cosigning here.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    But I think 18 grams of fiber at once is not a good idea. .... I have had gastric bypass.....
    perhaps because of your GI surgery maybe- but most people should be more than capable of consuming more than 18 grams of fiber at a time.

If you do- perhaps you should eat more fiber regularly- that shouldn't cause issues.
    cosign

lots of cosigning here.

It's not because of the bypass. More likely they're reacting to the sucralose and blaming the fiber.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

cosign

lots of cosigning here.

It's not because of the bypass. More likely they're reacting to the sucralose and blaming the fiber.

very possible- I am admittedly not well educated on GI surgery. But I do know that an average citizen with no medical hang ups- should be able to consume 18 grams of fiber at a time... if not- they need to up their average fiber intake.

• marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I still can't figure out how i do not get gas from these with all the fiber on the label. usually with prebiotic fibers,inulin, chicory etc. I get horrible bloating within 3 hours of eating anything with more than 3 or 4 added grams. 17 grams and zero bloating? seems very odd
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something entirely "whole food" based (which I am sure is what you meant by 'chemicals'; we ALL know that the universe is made up of chemicals, thank you commenters), understand that to taste good it will have more sugar and less protein (like kind bars: super tasty, ingredients pronounceable), and maybe even more fat (like lara bars: very whole-ingredient based). I think Lara bar's Cashew Cookie flavor, my favorite, clocks in at 2 ingredients: dates and cashews. Again, I know that I am sacrificing -protein, +fat, but it's still high fiber and really fills me up.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Never tried quest bars. I like to bake my own bars.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've tried them, but TOO much fiber for me. I don't need the extra fiber boost, and it just sat like an uncomfortable brick in my belly. If anyone else has similar problems (or don't like the price/lack of availability), the CLIF Builder's Bars are nice (only like 2-4g fiber, 20+g protein, no sucralose, if you care 'bout that).

And I think the CLIF Builder's have a nice taste/texture (candy bar/crumbly nougat quality in all flavors--not vanilla almond though, eww). $1.24 @ Walmart in the US.

ETA: For those who like natural ingredients, all the CLIF Builder's are natural, GMO free ingredients when available (IDC 'bout that, but that's what they say on the wrapper), blah, blah, blah, 100% wholesome stuff.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    hncary wrote: »
    What about smores flavour. I've never had a real smores before, but they look delicious!
    Is the quest flavour comparable?

You should probably go have a real s'mores. Like nowish. You're missing out.

+1
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I still can't figure out how i do not get gas from these with all the fiber on the label. usually with prebiotic fibers,inulin, chicory etc. I get horrible bloating within 3 hours of eating anything with more than 3 or 4 added grams. 17 grams and zero bloating? seems very odd

I had horrible gas after eating the Atkins bars.
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I had horrible gas after eating the Atkins bars.

the worst for me were simply bars. I have a whole case of them sitting in my cabinet in case I really want to punish somebody lol. I did find taking an activated charcoal tablet with it will eliminate the gas problem, but what's the point of that right! I really wish these types of fibers were not added to most things nowadays, they are especially added to a lot of gluten free products or "faux meats" I have yet to find a good non whey protein bar that doesn't have either this crap fiber, or isn't loaded up with dates or cashews
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, they supposedly taste better when you heat them in the microwave? I bought one but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Oh, yes! Have to warm them up.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    IvanOcampo wrote: »
    I love the choc brownie and double chocolate chunk. At over $50 for a box of 12, I eat them sparingly. However I could easy eat 2 or 3 a day!

UUH!! $50 for a box??! Try e-bay!! I get mine for free with a bag of protein powder..
    Shouldn't be paying more than $35 per 12!!

amazon has them for $24.99/box of 12 with free shipping sometimes

The ones I've tried have been decent, Strawberry cheesecake and White Chocolate Raspberry. I'd like to try the Lemon Cream pie one and the lady at Smoothie King is ordering them so I can try one before I buy a whole box.

The Lemon Cream Pie is one of my favorites. Surprisingly good.

• Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love all the quest bar flavours except the peanut butter ones... And I am a big PB fan usually. I like them cut up and wedged into a banana then put in the oven, tastes amazing x
  • daniellebearuk
    daniellebearuk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    White chocolate raspberry om nom nom. I just found a shop selling them on offer for £10 a box, so bought two boxes - 24 bars for £20...cheapy cheap!
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Tried em because of people raving about it on here. Texture reminded me of a Power Bar ( do they still make those?). I personally prefer Think Thin bars. They have a great texture with crunchy bits and a chocolate coating. http://thinkproducts.com/products/?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=protein bars low sugar^22966011893&utm_content=5275685834&utm_campaign=thinkThin - Consideration Campaign (Official Site)^35501
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just tried the white chocolate raspberry based on this thread, I think. New favorite.

(I also normally prefer Think Thin bars, but find the Quest bars more filling.)
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Okay so I finally got around to trying the Quest Bar I bought. It was the cinnamon roll flavor, I heated it in the microwave. I didn't care for it at all. I don't have a problem with the taste of artificial sweeteners either. It just tasted like a very strange cookie protein bar hybrid. I couldn't bring myself to eat more than 2/3 of it. It's a shame because I really wanted to like them. :/