Geek Girl on an Epic Quest to lose 80lbs, wanna join? More companions wanted!

Options
The title pretty much says it all: I'm a geeky gal determined to stop restarting and climb this durned Mt. Doom once and for all >.<

About me:
  • I'm a 5'4" hobbit restarting at 206lbs and looking to lose about 80lbs give or take.
  • My geekery is pretty expansive and includes: Video/PC gaming, comics, Star Wars, all things Batman, all things zombie, fantasy/sci-fi novels, anime, tv shows like Supernatural, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead and American Horror Story. If it's geeky or nerdy I'm into it or want to be hehe
  • My ultimate goal reward is to take sword-fighting & archery lessons at a local studio, because what's better than geeking out and staying fit at the same time??

Drop a line if you're interested and maybe meet some fellow geeks along the way! Not a geek? That's cool too! Anyone who's active on MFP and interested is more than welcome. What matters is being surrounded by positive, like-minded people :)

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, have you looked into the SCA? They have both rapier combat and armored combat practices for FREE, generally on a weekly basis, all over the world. Plus your interests seem to overlap with the "medieval re-enactment" bits of that group. :)
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    all over the world

Except the East Mids it seems. Balls, been looking for a decent re-en/LRP group for years that doesn't involve having to be in London or the US.

• FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    @ElizabethKalmbach I've never looked into it but I love history including the Medieval period so... I'm definitely gonna have to look this up now!

@deathninja82 Hm, yeah I'm in Canada so not sure if it'll be available but it definitely doesn't hurt to look hehe
  • deathninja82
    Options
    FitGeekery wrote: »
    Hm, yeah I'm in Canada so not sure if it'll be available but it definitely doesn't hurt to look hehe

Sounds like SCA need a company of Moose cavalry.

• FitGeekery
    Options
    I think they do XD
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    http://sca.org/geography/kingdom_lookup.html

There's a little widget that can show you some groups local to you. :)
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey, awesome! Are you part of Nerd Fitness also? Add me up on here! I'll be your accountabilabuddy!
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    What is nerd fitness? Cause it sounds right up my alley haha

I was actually looking for some training programs that would 'train' me for the Zombie Apocalypse. Because geeky AND practical XD
  • deathninja82
    Options
    Zombies, Run!! Is always good for a laugh
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    I actually have that app! It's a lot of fun, want to complete the C25K so I can start using it properly :D
  • deathninja82
    Options
    I switched to a Polar watch as my S4 mini ends up as flat as a cow's ladybits within minutes of turning on GPS (plus delicious metrics), but I loved being Runner 5, then again I love running period.

Seeing as I'm not a fan of barbells I want to be at the point where I can use a weighted vest, only get a suit of mail instead for the hell of it.
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    Omg... a suit of mail would be epic XD

I like barbells pretty well, what I'd like to do is find a trainer who can teach me how to use kettlebells. It looks fun, dynamic and grueling but I'd only need to do it 3-4x a week for 20-30 mins. There's no excuse for me not to make that kinda time.
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Nerd Fitness Academy. Its $100 to join, but it leads you through actual lifestyle changes, exercise regimens, food and other aspects. You get quests to complete and level up your body and mindset by completing challenges laid out for you.
  • deathninja82
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do kettleworx, for what it's worth. It's all about flinging a relatively light (15lb) bell around whilst doing cardio, so it's fun and works up a sweat. Once I know I'm not going to have a heart attack I'll up the weight and see how it goes.
    Nerd Fitness Academy. Its $100 to join, but it leads you through actual lifestyle changes, exercise regimens, food and other aspects. You get quests to complete and level up your body and mindset by completing challenges laid out for you.

Oooh!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have 70 lbs to shed, not a nerd but love archery. My husband and two boys also shoot with me :) would love some "friends"
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    @RCMPWannaBe Ooooh I'm gonna look that up right now!

@deathninja82 Yeah that's exactly what I wanted to start off with. I know that form can be crucial to prevent injury so ideally I'd like a couple sessions with someone just to make sure I don't break myself. Cause knowing my luck I would XD

@AngInCanada Non-nerds are totally welcome, I'll drop you a request. Nice to have people who are in a similar weight loss boat :)
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm a bit of geek (gamer, fantasy, etc). I'm in maintenance after losing ~140 lbs but love to help and support those still losing.
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    @Azurite27 That is an AMAZING loss first off all, congrats on your hard work! Definitely adding you, can use all the inspiration I can get and that's exactly what you are :smiley:
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ooh! Ooh! Geeks, nerds, anybody add me for committed support :smiley: I owned the original the original D&D red box. I travelled to both coasts to meet Joss Whedon. We live near Atlanta, home of DragonCon, and love all Fandom. My husband is about to own his third Green Lantern Cosplay. I just offered my kids fencing lessons. Also, FitGeekery, we have the same stats.

I've been waiting to find some fine, geeky folks on here!

• FitGeekery
    Options
    @whimsy38 a) You are the best mom EVER! b) D&D! It's the one type of geeky gaming I never had the chance to try, and have been wanting to forever >.> c) Cosplay yay! d) Wewt to stat mirrors, nice to be in the same boat with others.

In other words, find yourself friend requested ;)