Training for a half marathon 4/5 days in a row

Options
13»

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    stealthq: Doing C25K I only get 3.2km out of it (it's on the treadmill), and my lunch runs are about 5.4km (using MapMyRun)

For April 5-11 MapMyRun has me at 21.53km and if I did C25K twice that week that equals. I haven't gone longer than 5.6km in a single run
    Start using the Bridge to 10K® running plan if you can run a 5k. That's the next rung on the ladder for you. Follow the plan.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    This person hasn't even finished a 5k - "tempo runs" is well beyond their aerobic (and probably ligamental) capacity at this point.

So much this. :noway:

Also running daily could well be the issue since she is a new runner. Esp since some days she runs twice a day.

Clearly most of these things are beyond her capacity at the moment. However, she asked about pace - i provided information on how pace is improved. She has a lot of things she needs to do but she can't do it without the information. You also don't need to complete a 5k to do a tempo run.

Yeah, you pretty much do. If you can't run for 30 minutes without heaving or walking, your body is in no shape at all for "tempo" or HIIT or any other buzzword. All those things would accomplish is greatly increasing the odds of injury.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Clearly most of these things are beyond her capacity at the moment. However, she asked about pace - i provided information on how pace is improved. She has a lot of things she needs to do but she can't do it without the information. You also don't need to complete a 5k to do a tempo run.

Personally my tempo runs are at least the middle 5-6km of a 10K run, to get the best from it you need to be capable of warming up for 10-15 minutes, then cool down similarly.

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Plus a classical tempo run is a sustained 20 min at 90% MHR. That's probably beyond the current ability of someone having difficulty with an 8-5 interval right now.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    stealthq: Doing C25K I only get 3.2km out of it (it's on the treadmill), and my lunch runs are about 5.4km (using MapMyRun)

For April 5-11 MapMyRun has me at 21.53km and if I did C25K twice that week that equals. I haven't gone longer than 5.6km in a single run
    Start using the Bridge to 10K® running plan if you can run a 5k. That's the next rung on the ladder for you. Follow the plan.

^^This. Complete a 10K plan, then follow a Half training plan.