Bread??

Options
Whats people's views on bread and weightloss.. Some people say stay clear etc.. Any thoughts?

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Calories. Total calories matter.

Your body cannot fuel itself if you give it less energy than it needs to live, without burning body tissues. It can't then ALSO add fat to your body, you would need to give it surplus energy to store.

You can't get fat eating bread if your total calories are not in a surplus. You will lose weight eating bread if your total calories are in a deficit. (Over time, etc.)

If you personally feel better and adhere better to your calorie target with less bread, eat less bread. But that's a personal thing, affecting wellbeing, adherence to diet, etc, not an objective weight loss thing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    As long as you maintain a calorie deficit, you can eat bread while losing weight. Since bread is a major calorie source for many people, cutting it can help create a calorie deficit. But there is nothing inherently bad about it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    As long as you maintain a calorie deficit, you can eat bread while losing weight. Since bread is a major calorie source for many people, cutting it can help create a calorie deficit. But there is nothing inherently bad about it.

Yup
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I continue to eat bread while losing weight, because I will continue to eat bread after I've lost the weight. I've not cut anything out completely. I manage the amount bread I eat. This is subject to portion control like everything else.

• greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    In no way am I an expert, quite the opposite. That said, I have eliminated bread and white rice completely. I adhere to the eat less then you burn concept, but for me the lack of gluten and decrease in sugar (bread) and the related insulin impacting effects make sense to me. I am having success with this method.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Love me some bread. I buy the low cal kind. Have to have fuel for my body and filling foods otherwise I can't work out and that makes me sad :(
  • Silversparkle13
    Silversparkle13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great help :)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't evil :-). I choose not to eat it because I:

a) was addicted to it
    b) I'm a low carb eater because I love it and because I have insulin resistance

My husband eats a huge amount of bread a day and he needs it. Bread is good! Enjoy bread
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Unless you are gluten intolerant or have a wheat allergy there is no reason to avoid bread.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Usually not worth the calories to me. I eat it only occasionally.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I miss bread :(....Eat the bread. If you like it, eat it. No need to remove it from your diet if there is not need to. Just count it.
  • artlover47
    artlover47 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have lost 85 lbs and eat whole wheat bread and pasta, brown rice, various types of potatoes in small portions. A balanced diet of all the food groups, portion size, and total calories work for me. I have 20lbs left to goal, and enjoy eating bread almost every day. I don't exclude anything from my diet except soda and usually avoid sugary desserts and candies because they are not worth the calories for me.
  • Silversparkle13
    Silversparkle13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    artlover47 wrote: »
    I have lost 85 lbs and eat whole wheat bread and pasta, brown rice, various types of potatoes in small portions. A balanced diet of all the food groups, portion size, and total calories work for me. I have 20lbs left to goal, and enjoy eating bread almost every day. I don't exclude anything from my diet except soda and usually avoid sugary desserts and candies because they are not worth the calories for me.

Thank you!
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I eat bread, but I try to prioritize whole grains-- not because 'white bread makes you fat' but because calories are all there is to weightloss, but things like fiber and nutrient intake do matter for *overall body health*
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I think bread slows down the speed of weight loss, but once you absorb that blip in weight loss time, you will get back to a normal time of losing weight. Conversely, if you drop the bread you might see a larger amount of weight come off. Especially white bread.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i eat bread all the time sometimes almost every meal there is some sort of bread or pita.
    ive lost 55lbs without any issues.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    sorry but this is garbage info lol
    I think bread slows down the speed of weight loss, but once you absorb that blip in weight loss time, you will get back to a normal time of losing weight. Conversely, if you drop the bread you might see a larger amount of weight come off. Especially white bread.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

How does bread slow down the speed of weight loss?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    All the bread!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Agree. I'm just careful to make better bread choices. I weigh rolls from the bakery. "One medium roll" could contain a variety of calories.
This discussion has been closed.