Fat balls/marbles under skin after weight loss

Options

Replies

• FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I am horrified by that photo but also a bit intrigued. Also, this thread led me to searching my own skin to see if I could find any marbles. I never knew that happened and I'm glad I've learned something new!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    ok I just shivered.....
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced it, but just guessing, I would think it might be caused by some fat cells shrinking more quickly than others.
  • mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    They're called lipomas. They're benign tumors. For most people they don't cause any discomfort. For others they can cause some pain. If they're painful, your insurance will likely pay for it to be removed. If they're not hurting you, then it's considered elective surgery and it won't be covered.

I had a couple of them on my side and had a surgeon remove them. They did cause some pain, so my insurance covered it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I really don't think everyone on this thread has lipomas....
  • mch2829
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I really don't think everyone on this thread has lipomas....

Why would someone lie about it? They're not uncommon, especially among people who are overweight or obese. I had 2 of them removed last year while I was having a different surgery. Here's the tiny scar from where the surgeon removed them. (it's smaller than it appears in the pic. I had to take a close-up. The lighter lines around it are stretch marks.)

vtC49O2.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'm not saying you are lying. I have those little lumps too. I just don't think everyone who has them has benign lipoma. There has to be another explanation for what they are. I'm going with baby fat pockets/sacks/lumps.
  • mch2829
    Options
    I'm not saying you are lying. I have those little lumps too. I just don't think everyone who has them has benign lipoma. There has to be another explanation for what they are. I'm going with baby fat pockets/sacks/lumps.

Abnormal lumps of fat are usually lipomas though. And I know that's what mine were because the surgeon said so and the lab that analyzed them afterwards said they were lipomas.

Maybe not everyone here has lipomas. They could have a cyst or swollen lymph node or infected hair follicle. But if it's not painful, it's most likely a lipoma. Sometimes they're painful if they're in a tighter spot and are pressing against nerves (like mine were on my side), but that's not too common.
  • jmichaelminton
    jmichaelminton Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    fairy2b wrote: »
    WOAH!! YES!! THAT'S EXACTLY HOW I IMAGINE THEM AND WHAT THEY FEEL LIKE!!!! ce9t46cmsuye.jpg

I thought that was some kind of bean dish at first. EW.

Nope. Those are egg sacks. The toads burst out of and also between the sacks as their being birthed. It's horrifying to watch. The YouTube video when you google the frog shows it happening. Absolutely traumatized me as a kid. I still get hives when i see this frog.

I thought the video was kind of cool, actually.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    mch2829 wrote: »

Abnormal lumps of fat are usually lipomas though. And I know that's what mine were because the surgeon said so and the lab that analyzed them afterwards said they were lipomas.

Maybe not everyone here has lipomas. They could have a cyst or swollen lymph node or infected hair follicle. But if it's not painful, it's most likely a lipoma. Sometimes they're painful if they're in a tighter spot and are pressing against nerves (like mine were on my side), but that's not too common.

Ok. I think When i hear lipoma's etc I think of cancerous lumps. That's maybe what I need to get my head around... :smile:

• jk1508
    jk1508 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I see lipomas regularly and work in health care. Yes you can be covered in them. They are simply lumps of adipose tissue. There is no known cause however research is indicating there may be genetic predisposition and people who develop one or two are statistically more likely to keep developing them. They are painless, unless they are in a sensitive area such as the armpit.
  • mch2829
    Options

Ok. I think When i hear lipoma's etc I think of cancerous lumps. That's maybe what I need to get my head around... :smile:

Yeah lipomas are benign, they're not a big deal. If it was malignant then it'd be a liposarcoma. Liposarcomas are very rare and they can get very large if not treated. They also respond well to surgery and radiation, so they're one of the less severe types of cancer.
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    so glad i found this thread. I found my first one yesterday and freaked right out. It was in my apron fold and my first thought was "oh no my weight loss has given me cancer" Then i got a grip! I didn't google it but I'm glad i now know what it is.
  • satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    That was the reason I started to loose my body fat. There have been all over my body. On my tummy, lower tummy, both arms. So i can say there are around 6 such hard spots in my body. I did consult couple of doctors and they said there is nothing you can do about them. you have to live with them all throughout your life. If any of these causes any major issues. It can be removed surgically.
  • satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    fairy2b wrote: »
    Hey Guys!

I've lost about 60 lbs and am now in the top "healthy" BMI range. I have noticed what feel like "fat balls" or marbles underneath my skin. They are ALL over my body, and they don't hurt or change size. I'm fairly certain they are not cysts after talking with a few health care professionals.

They are most noticeable up and down my abdomen and stomach, and I can feel their definition most in that area, although I have felt them in my arm tissue and leg tissue (more so in areas that still have fatty tissue.)

I have done tons of research on this, and haven't found any scientific data explaining this phenomenon or article pertaining to this, although I found one forum where some people experience the same thing.

One of the theories I read suggests that since we can never alter how many fat cells we have, what we can alter is their size. When we are overweight, these fat cells smooth out together but when you start losing weight, the fat cells shrink and therefore become more "noticeable" underneath the skin. (If I press and pull my skin tight in the areas I can see the small round deposit...SO WEIRD!!!)

Another forum suggested this happens right before a "fat flush" and your body is getting ready to burn these deposits... (but that sounds more like wishful thinking horse *kitten* to me)....

Has anyone else experienced this with their weight loss or read any studies on this? I'm curious if you think this theory is true and what your experience has been.

Hi. I have the exact similar problem that you have. I went through your post. But there seems to be lots conflicting suggestions. If you have found out your answer. Please suggest me as well.
  • mch2829
    Options
    That was the reason I started to loose my body fat. There have been all over my body. On my tummy, lower tummy, both arms. So i can say there are around 6 such hard spots in my body. I did consult couple of doctors and they said there is nothing you can do about them. you have to live with them all throughout your life. If any of these causes any major issues. It can be removed surgically.

If you develop a lot of them, you'll likely continue to get them even if you have them removed surgically. Multiple lipomas are caused by genetics. If you only develop one or two, they're not very likely to recur after removal.

Your doctor can easily remove them, but insurance won't cover it unless you tell them it's hurting you. But in your case, since you've developed multiple lipomas, you'd end up needing them removed regularly because they will recur.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Lipoma just means "fat growth" not cancer. It's a generic term.
    If you have an abnormal ball of fat then yes, it's a lipoma. It's simply the word to describe that.
    Is it bad? Usually not.

There are literally dozens of different types of lipomas - some are unique, some cover larger tissues, some tend to be localized around the neck and joints. If they seem to demonstrate growth, if they are painful or red, see a doc.

And they sometimes auto resolve but usually larger palpable masses remain.

Their prevalence is high, about 1-2% of people get them - particularly during weight loss.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread, I checked myself. The only "fat lumps" I have are on my feet, inside along the upper arch. I've had them since forever, so not weight related.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Argh. If you call them "benign fatty tumors," the people on this thread say yes! That's what it sounds like. If you say lipoma, the medical name for benign fatty tumors, they get all upset. I don't quite know why. Fat pockets, lumps, sacks.... Yes, lipomas. It's just the medical name for a lump of fat. It shows up as a lump bc it's encapsulated. So it's called a tumor. Just another medical term for a blob. A benign tumor of fat. Lipoma. Lump of fat. Lipoma. Little fat blob. Lipoma. Lots and lots of really small bumps? Maybe cellulite and not lipomas. A different kind of fat distribution, nothing more.....
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I appreciate the medical background effort but no. I'm not convinced they are lipomas. More like cellulite type fat tissue, which would also explain why it's in all of my tissue. The whooshy fat article was the closest explanation I got.