Fat balls/marbles under skin after weight loss

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kikichewie wrote: »
    They're lipomas, and there is plenty of reputable medical information available online. I have a couple, and I was just reading up on them the other day. Unfortunately, it looks like they generally don't disappear with weight loss. However, weight gain can increase the size and quantity. So don't yoyo when you lose the weight. They can be removed surgically, using liposuction or lipodissolve, or reduced in size using steroid injections. But insurance is unlikely to cover it unless a particular lipoma is causing a problem pressing on a nerve or something.

I don't think they're the same thing, honestly. It's not just 1 or 2 or 3 - it's the whole network of fatty tissue that is riddled with these marbly bits.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    They're lipomas, and there is plenty of reputable medical information available online. I have a couple, and I was just reading up on them the other day. Unfortunately, it looks like they generally don't disappear with weight loss. However, weight gain can increase the size and quantity. So don't yoyo when you lose the weight. They can be removed surgically, using liposuction or lipodissolve, or reduced in size using steroid injections. But insurance is unlikely to cover it unless a particular lipoma is causing a problem pressing on a nerve or something.

Perhaps but mine have come and gone and not in the same areas. First showed up around my belly button and disappeared after I lost about 10 lbs of fat, then showed up in my chest and then disappeared after I lost more fat, then showed up in my love handles and disappeared as the fat did. With only a few pounds left to go I noticed a few in my lower back as that area became squishy, if they don't disappear like the others maybe those ones are lipomas.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Mine feel like a popcorn ceiling on my outer quads and my forearms. it feels like thousands of tiny bumps. There can't possibly be that many lipomas under my skin, and if there are, I doubt they could remove them all. Seriously, it's a ton of tiny bumps. I only have them on my leaner parts though. I've never felt them in my belly, just my extremities.

mine is the same. if the OP said she had a few random bumps i would say lipomas. but i didnt get that from her post
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A small percentage of people can have hundreds of lipomas, apparently. If you've got what feel like fatty marbles or cysts under your skin, research lipomas, that's all I'm saying. Don't take my word for it. But the information is readily available.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    What I've got aren't lipomas--entirely different shape, density and they move differently under the skin.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mmm I dunno. I've got a relative who had a couple of lipomas, I've felt them... it's different. I mean, maybe, for some people.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I don't think they're the same thing, honestly. It's not just 1 or 2 or 3 - it's the whole network of fatty tissue that is riddled with these marbly bits.

Yep me too. And i only noticed them after i lost most of my belly flab
  • kikichewie
    Options
    Mine feel like a popcorn ceiling on my outer quads and my forearms. it feels like thousands of tiny bumps. There can't possibly be that many lipomas under my skin, and if there are, I doubt they could remove them all. Seriously, it's a ton of tiny bumps. I only have them on my leaner parts though. I've never felt them in my belly, just my extremities.

Not that I'm any kind of expert, but that doesn't sound like lipomas to me either (although like I said, some people can have hundreds). Sounds more like regular fatty tissue to me.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Mine are just fat. I've had lots of ultrasounds and an MRI and it was described as adipose tissue resulting from obesity. No one ever suggested I had 1000 tumors in my tummy :-)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    No help here but maybe repeated massaging could benefit & shrink them down? If anything, you'd feel better after the massages.
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain they are not lipomas. I have felt lipomas before and these feel different.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Is there a tea I can drink or a detox regimen I do to get rid of them as well?

Have you tried the peeps detox?
  • kikichewie
    Options
    fairy2b wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain they are not lipomas. I have felt lipomas before and these feel different.

Ahhh. Well then, hopefully they're something that will just go away in their own. The body is strange.....
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't know if I'll have them after I lose my weight or not; I do know, however, that I got a fat lump when I gained the weight in a place I won't mention. As I have lost weight, it is going down, whew! Hopefully won't find lots of baby fat lumps as I lose the rest of my weight . . .
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My dad and my brother used to have those (maybe they still do). Growing up, we always called them "fatty lumps". My dad actually had some of them removed surgically. Neither of them were ever obese so I guess it is just a genetic thing though I never get them.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    No help here but maybe repeated massaging could benefit & shrink them down? If anything, you'd feel better after the massages.
    I actually agree with this, adding that a massage that focuses on lymphatic drainage would be helpful. I Also think that HIIT training would be a boost. Basically I think what your feeling is tissue that's clogged, from not having good lymphatic drainage and general circulation. That's my experience anyway. After a lymph massage (sometimes called cellulite massage), expect to feel tired for a day or two, drink lots of water.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing in my forearms, belly, and thighs. I asked my doctor-sister about it and she said its cellulite. She said its a mild autoimmune response.

Sorry, no fat flushing.
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    Hey Guys!

I've lost about 60 lbs and am now in the top "healthy" BMI range. I have noticed what feel like "fat balls" or marbles underneath my skin. They are ALL over my body, and they don't hurt or change size. I'm fairly certain they are not cysts after talking with a few health care professionals.

They are most noticeable up and down my abdomen and stomach, and I can feel their definition most in that area, although I have felt them in my arm tissue and leg tissue (more so in areas that still have fatty tissue.)

I have done tons of research on this, and haven't found any scientific data explaining this phenomenon or article pertaining to this, although I found one forum where some people experience the same thing.

One of the theories I read suggests that since we can never alter how many fat cells we have, what we can alter is their size. When we are overweight, these fat cells smooth out together but when you start losing weight, the fat cells shrink and therefore become more "noticeable" underneath the skin. (If I press and pull my skin tight in the areas I can see the small round deposit...SO WEIRD!!!)

Another forum suggested this happens right before a "fat flush" and your body is getting ready to burn these deposits... (but that sounds more like wishful thinking horse *kitten* to me)....

Has anyone else experienced this with their weight loss or read any studies on this? I'm curious if you think this theory is true and what your experience has been.
    I think as you just keep going with your fat loss efforts that they will go away. It's not permanent. I've had cellulite come and go. Currently mine is going yayyy! But I can feel that in my tummy around my belly button, and some on my tricep area. It will go away. Don't worry, the body is amazingly changeable and can heal and transform in appearance.

• Justygirl77
    Options
    :D:D:D:D
    Exactly!

• conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If they're not lipomas, I wonder if it's related to collagen or some other connective tissue compartmentalizing the fat into uneven blobs. Seems plausible to me.... that's how cellulite works, isn't it? Maybe it's just bigger blobs?