Fat balls/marbles under skin after weight loss

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I'm still looking for mine :smiley:
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    I have one that is on my inner thigh , its a hard marble like ball, where my shorts stop and my legs rubbed together, I think its a small cyst. Maybe a fat cell, next time I go to Drs. I need to get it lanced, it reminds me of a boil.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    I noticed this a loooooong time ago and had a doctor check it out. He was very unimpressed and was like, "meh fat. No big deal".

Of course it could be a tumor, fluid in your lymph system, alien birth pouch, a bug. We aren't doctors here.

LOL I too went to a doc years ago thinking I was dying of some tumor issue. My doc said the same thing and looked at me like I was a bit crazy for being so worried.

But, you don't something until you ask.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    fairy2b wrote: »
    Hey Guys!

I've lost about 60 lbs and am now in the top "healthy" BMI range. I have noticed what feel like "fat balls" or marbles underneath my skin. They are ALL over my body, and they don't hurt or change size. I'm fairly certain they are not cysts after talking with a few health care professionals.

They are most noticeable up and down my abdomen and stomach, and I can feel their definition most in that area, although I have felt them in my arm tissue and leg tissue (more so in areas that still have fatty tissue.)

I have done tons of research on this, and haven't found any scientific data explaining this phenomenon or article pertaining to this, although I found one forum where some people experience the same thing.

One of the theories I read suggests that since we can never alter how many fat cells we have, what we can alter is their size. When we are overweight, these fat cells smooth out together but when you start losing weight, the fat cells shrink and therefore become more "noticeable" underneath the skin. (If I press and pull my skin tight in the areas I can see the small round deposit...SO WEIRD!!!)

Another forum suggested this happens right before a "fat flush" and your body is getting ready to burn these deposits... (but that sounds more like wishful thinking horse *kitten* to me)....

Has anyone else experienced this with their weight loss or read any studies on this? I'm curious if you think this theory is true and what your experience has been.

No, I haven't, but this is interesting, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Congrats on your weight loss, by the way!
  • SLLRunner
    kikichewie wrote: »
    They're lipomas, and there is plenty of reputable medical information available online. I have a couple, and I was just reading up on them the other day. Unfortunately, it looks like they generally don't disappear with weight loss. However, weight gain can increase the size and quantity. So don't yoyo when you lose the weight. They can be removed surgically, using liposuction or lipodissolve, or reduced in size using steroid injections. But insurance is unlikely to cover it unless a particular lipoma is causing a problem pressing on a nerve or something.

Is there a tea I can drink or a detox regimen I do to get rid of them as well?

Ohhhh....you are so BAD! :D

Thanks for the laugh, though. :D
  • SLLRunner
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have the same thing in my forearms, belly, and thighs. I asked my doctor-sister about it and she said its cellulite. She said its a mild autoimmune response.

Sorry, no fat flushing.

Now, that makes sense.
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for everyone's input! It's funny that many people have experienced this but there inst much data out there. If you stumble upon any new info, please send it my way! And I'll take any excuse to splurge on a massage! :)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Ninkyou wrote: »

I second this link. This is how I lose weight and can start recognizing when I'm about to go into a whoosh depending on how my fat feels.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    What the heck is this whooshing thing you speak of?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    bbontheb wrote: »
    What the heck is this whooshing thing you speak of?
    It's when you lose "a lot" of weight at one time. IE: 160, 160, 160, 157.6 .

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Of course it could be a tumor, fluid in your lymph system, alien birth pouch, a bug. We aren't doctors here.

LOL alien birth pouch ....

totally off topic here but a year or so ago on a forum I used to be a part of, a lady had posted a photo of some sort of egg (rather large- bigger than a chicken egg) in her attic insulation. I don't remember what it turned out to actually BE..... but the thread went on for weeks and weeks and weeks with the craziest and most random hypothesis of what kind of alien demon seed had been laid and was going to hatch and kill her in the middle of the night.

thanks for the memory LOLOLOLOL
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    They're lipomas, and there is plenty of reputable medical information available online. I have a couple, and I was just reading up on them the other day. Unfortunately, it looks like they generally don't disappear with weight loss. However, weight gain can increase the size and quantity. So don't yoyo when you lose the weight. They can be removed surgically, using liposuction or lipodissolve, or reduced in size using steroid injections. But insurance is unlikely to cover it unless a particular lipoma is causing a problem pressing on a nerve or something.

OMG. Just google image searched "lipomas" I was unprepared for the images. Those don't look like bags of marbles.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    That's just bc the images are extreme cases where they were removed. Most are very small, often more palpable than visible, and not covered by insurance for removal. So no pictures.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    That's just bc the images are extreme cases where they were removed. Most are very small, often more palpable than visible, and not covered by insurance for removal. So no pictures.

I'm sorry, do you have something to read to support this?

Because I've had and lost what everyone is talking about... and then they've reformed again and been lost again.

My husband has had diagnosed lipomas that needed to be removed. These are not the same things.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

Because I've had and lost what everyone is talking about... and then they've reformed again and been lost again.

My husband has had diagnosed lipomas that needed to be removed. These are not the same things.

Thank you. I don't know what it is, maybe just fat, but i really doubt it's lipomas.

Anyway, my neighbor who styles himself as a fitness guy told me that it was fat that used to be intramuscular fat. That the body had moved some of the fat out of the muscles to make it more accessible for use as energy. He said that muscle in the human body get marbled just like a cut of beef when allowed to just sit. Once you start strengthening/building those muscles, the marbelling comes out and that's what I feel. I guess it makes as much sense as anything else, but it would be nice to have an actual answer.

Sounds like broscience, but it's fun to picture that happening!

• kikichewie

Maybe, maybe not. To me, the OP's description sounded like simple lipomas based on my personal experience with them. Little balls of harmless fat. Not crazy massive Google image lipomas, which are obviously not going to be the small ones under the skin..... And if it's some other variation of fat, fine. I only replied again bc I was mentioned several days after my last comment on the issue. I really don't care at this point. Let's all just hope it is some kind of benign fatty thing that hopefully does go away with weight loss. I apologize if my tone of "certainty" (??) is/was problematic - but I think everyone is pretty much guilty of that here when trying to give helpful feedback.

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    My doctor referred to them as "fatty tumors" and indicated that they are in no way dangerous or harmful. Just not sure if mine will ever go away unless I get to some ridiculously low BF percentage.
  • kikichewie
    My doctor referred to them as "fatty tumors" and indicated that they are in no way dangerous or harmful. Just not sure if mine will ever go away unless I get to some ridiculously low BF percentage.

That's what I should have said originally. :) Benign fatty tumors.