Fat balls/marbles under skin after weight loss

Options
Hey Guys!

I've lost about 60 lbs and am now in the top "healthy" BMI range. I have noticed what feel like "fat balls" or marbles underneath my skin. They are ALL over my body, and they don't hurt or change size. I'm fairly certain they are not cysts after talking with a few health care professionals.

They are most noticeable up and down my abdomen and stomach, and I can feel their definition most in that area, although I have felt them in my arm tissue and leg tissue (more so in areas that still have fatty tissue.)

I have done tons of research on this, and haven't found any scientific data explaining this phenomenon or article pertaining to this, although I found one forum where some people experience the same thing.

One of the theories I read suggests that since we can never alter how many fat cells we have, what we can alter is their size. When we are overweight, these fat cells smooth out together but when you start losing weight, the fat cells shrink and therefore become more "noticeable" underneath the skin. (If I press and pull my skin tight in the areas I can see the small round deposit...SO WEIRD!!!)

Another forum suggested this happens right before a "fat flush" and your body is getting ready to burn these deposits... (but that sounds more like wishful thinking horse *kitten* to me)....

Has anyone else experienced this with their weight loss or read any studies on this? I'm curious if you think this theory is true and what your experience has been.

Replies

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    More likely fluid in your lymphatic system.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i have that. its just fat. sucks. should lessen as u lose the last few.
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    I noticed this a loooooong time ago and had a doctor check it out. He was very unimpressed and was like, "meh fat. No big deal".

Of course it could be a tumor, fluid in your lymph system, alien birth pouch, a bug. We aren't doctors here.

HAHAHAHAH! Yes, alien babies were my first thought! Tumors all over my body my second. The professionals I talked to were also "unimpressed." Thanks for the laugh!
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Some additional thoughts here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1154106

It's been a long time since I was lean (especially that lean), but the then-current bro-science was to ensure that you're well (if not over) hydrated, drink red-wine, get a tissue massage, and kick back, which seems to follow some of the stuff mentioned in that link that @Ninkyou posted above...

• fairy2b
    Options
    :D:D:D:D
  • fairy2b
    Options
    Some additional thoughts here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1154106

It's been a long time since I was lean (especially that lean), but the then-current bro-science was to ensure that you're well (if not over) hydrated, drink red-wine, get a tissue massage, and kick back, which seems to follow some of the stuff mentioned in that link that @Ninkyou posted above...

So the funny thing is I'm not lean at all...I still have about 15 lbs to put me in the middle of healthy BMI....thanks for the link!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    fairy2b wrote: »

So the funny thing is I'm not lean at all...I still have about 15 lbs to put me in the middle of healthy BMI....thanks for the link!

I'm not either. I have at least 15 lbs before I hit a healthy BMI but I can feel the fat cells. I think it just happens as you lean out.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    fairy2b wrote: »
    So the funny thing is I'm not lean at all...I still have about 15 lbs to put me in the middle of healthy BMI....
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I'm not either. I have at least 15 lbs before I hit a healthy BMI but I can feel the fat cells. I think it just happens as you lean out.
    I'm still like 10lbs over "Overweight" by BMI, so my marbles have a lot of company just now, so you're where I'll be around the end of this year :'(

I say it's a good excuse for a bender and a massage!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I notice them as well and being the inquisitive type looked for answers. Seems to be a few theriories but if there is a medical answer it eludes me.
    hopefully if somebody has the answer they will share a link and educate us.
    In the mean time I will just go with Lyles insights. ( the body recomp link already posted )
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have them in my tummy. The first time i noticed them I Googled, and read about them happening right before a whoosh. This was like 6mths ago and they are still there just the same as before.
    The whoosh fairy hasn't visited me in ages :cry:
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Are they lipomas? I have a gigantic one in my lower back (MUCH bigger than a marble).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I have those too, especially around my ribs.

I figured that they were somehow related to all of the surgeries that I've had in that area of my body or a lymph issue.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    yeah, the texture definitely changes, and it's definitely weird. pre-weight loss, the flesh is just firmer, denser. post-WL it's like a bag half full of spongey marbles.

to get to the "whoosh" Lyle McDonald talked about, i think you have to get down pretty low in body fat.

i maintained at 124 lbs for 4 years and it never went away. (did cardio and metabolic circuits, only started really weight lifting at the end)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    The fat in my stomach has always felt like marbles. I've been obese for at least 16 years. I've lost about 51-52lbs this year and it still feels exactly the same.

My husband has never had that sort of feel to his fat ever! Not that he has much but his is always just smooth and firm.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    They're lipomas, and there is plenty of reputable medical information available online. I have a couple, and I was just reading up on them the other day. Unfortunately, it looks like they generally don't disappear with weight loss. However, weight gain can increase the size and quantity. So don't yoyo when you lose the weight. They can be removed surgically, using liposuction or lipodissolve, or reduced in size using steroid injections. But insurance is unlikely to cover it unless a particular lipoma is causing a problem pressing on a nerve or something.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    kikichewie wrote: »
    They're lipomas, and there is plenty of reputable medical information available online. I have a couple, and I was just reading up on them the other day. Unfortunately, it looks like they generally don't disappear with weight loss. However, weight gain can increase the size and quantity. So don't yoyo when you lose the weight. They can be removed surgically, using liposuction or lipodissolve, or reduced in size using steroid injections. But insurance is unlikely to cover it unless a particular lipoma is causing a problem pressing on a nerve or something.

Is there a tea I can drink or a detox regimen I do to get rid of them as well?
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Is there a tea I can drink or a detox regimen I do to get rid of them as well?

Let's see if I can do this quote thing.....

Exactly what about my response warrants the sarcasm re teas and detoxes?