Hungry after 7pm Struggles...

Options

Replies

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I eat. Sometimes I'll have a plain Greek yogurt with raw blueberries and strawberries mixed in. Other nights I'll have a cup of grapes. Or I'll drink a half serving of protein shake. But it's all trial and error. But after a while your body will get use to it
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Got the same problem. I try to eat huge portions in the evening. For example, tonight I'll be having about 400g of broccoli, 250g of low-fat Quark and 200g of smoked salmon. I'll have that between 7 and 8 and then I should be fine.

Yesterday I had cookery class and I don't think I'd be setting a good example if I cook with my pupils but refuse to eat with them. So I had a pasta dish for lunch and then couldn't resist seconds ;-( So had a tiny dinner of cucumber and shrimp and was starving by 9pm. Since I wasn't done with my day's work, I ate dried fruit. Won't be buying those again. Far too yummy. Generally, I try not have nothing at home that invites snacking. I haven't got milk, so I can't eat cereal. No crisps, cookies, no cheese. If I only have raw veg and raw meat and maybe low-fat ham, then I can get away with snacking on those.

But I'm still trying to get into the swing of pre-planning my days. 2 years ago I always had pudding or yoghurt late in the evening but had always planned for it. Need to do that again.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Get busy. Take a shower, brush your teeth, do an activity that keeps your hands busy.

I drink a lot of herbal tea at night.

If all else fails, at least have some low cal options. A salad or cottage cheese.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I'm a night eater, not hungry in the a.m. I don't eat until noon usually and the bulk of my calories are saved for lunch dinner and a snack. It is ok to eat this way, there are a million healthy ways to lose weight. This is just what works for me, it might or might not for you but if you get desperate give it a try.
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    First, total myth about "current wisdom"; eating at night will not hurt you.
    As for my fix, a little peanut butter on a plain rice cake does it for me. A little protein, nice crunch and low calories
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    occasionally i will have half a pomegranate. I sit picking the fruity bits out and it gives me something to do with my hands as well. I actually prefer it to popcorn or other snacks and its so good for you. It takes ages to eat so by the time i have finished the cravings for bad foods have passed.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    If I feel that I need a snack after dinner, nut butters always do it for me. I love a nice scoop of cashew butter =)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn.
  • mllemuguet
    mllemuguet Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth after dinner!
    That's the only thing that works for me.

Also, make sure you're getting a decent snack in the afternoon so that you're not starving come dinner time.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you can't have what you want after 7pm, just plan for it. I have cereal or popcorn with butter every night and it hasn't derailed me. I just work it into my day.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat dinner later!
  • katieross1508
    katieross1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    dill pickle rice crisps do it for me 12 chips - 80 calories so I usually have 24 and it is enough. And I was a bag a day chip eater.
  • Michelle4588
    Michelle4588 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Sex can help keep you from snacking after 7. Turn off the TV and have some sex.

True that! and your burning calories, win win
  • neirbookeik1
    Options
    Cali585 wrote: »
    I make "cocktails" late at night.
    1) Water with lemon, lemon stevia drops, frozen blueberries = blueberry lemonade.
    2) Pellegrino with mint, lime, and lemon stevia drops = mojito.
    3) Lipton decaf cold brew tea, lemon, and lemon stevia drops = Arnold Palmer.
    4) Celestial Seasonings decaf green tea with mint cold brewed with cucumbers, mint, and lemon Stevia drops = really good but I don't have a name for it.

• rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Snacking has been a big problem for me, mostly because I love snacking on junk food at night. What I have done to make this so it is not so problematic is eat my dinner a little later, save some calories for a snack, and often I drink hot tea or a hot chocolate. Since you sip on it, it makes me feel as though I am consuming for 15-30 minutes and is better than consuming chips for 15-30 minutes. I also keep veggies around-carrots with nonfat greek yogurt with a bit of ranch seasoning or something in it. While it is not the same as junk food, it does fill me up! For a more guilty snack, I eat the snap pea crisps or air popped popcorn. I feel as though I can eat a lot of those within my calorie allotment for snacks.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I talked with my doctor recently about this because I just don't like eating breakfast. My day starts around 8 a.m. so for me, eating a decent 400 calorie lunch around 1:00 p.m. is perfect. I save 200 calories for a midday snack (3-4 p.m.) and then have dinner around 7-8 p.m. I make sure to save 200 calories for an evening snack around 10 p.m. (I work until midnight usually) and that keeps me out of trouble.

My doctor said she'd like for me to try eating some kind of protein in the morning, even if it's just a handful of nuts or some yogurt, but if I don't she said it's not a problem. She says it's what you eat, not when. Works for me!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    CindyR81 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a suggestion on this? After 7pm I get so hungry and all I want is cereal or a sandwich or chips... Basically nothing healthy. I'm not to keen on fruits so late either. Help any late night snack recommendations?

I don't eat dinner until 7 PM. I usually have a snack between 8 and midnight. I like popcorn at night.
    A sandwich, cereal, or chips are not bad or unhealthy for you to incorporate in your diet. If you have the calories for something and have eaten foods that meet your nutritional needs for the day then you could easily eat anything.
    Popcorn, carrots, celery, trail mix, fruit, yogurt, cheese, peanut butter on crackers, chips and salsa, hard boiled eggs, a salad, hummus, oatmeal, olives, pickles, chocolate, granola bar, beef jerky, pizza, smoothie, cookies, meat, cooked vegetables.
  • TaraM430
    TaraM430 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh I have the same problem. But I know it's NOT about hunger for me, it's because I use food to relax and unwind. As soon as my kids are in bed I want to watch some TV and EAT. It's a horrible habit, eating in front of the TV, mindless eating. I always save 100 -150 calories for a snack or dessert during that time of night. Sometimes its popcorn and sometimes its frozen yogurt.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have plain nonfat Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of bran and a teaspoon of stevia. The oat bran has the added bonus feature of making me regular.
  • bunnyechoes
    bunnyechoes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can eat after 7 pm. You can eat after 10 pm if you want. It doesn't matter that much. Have something light like a rice cake with PB or cream cheese or maybe some cottage cheese with banana if you can't eat it plain. Add some cinnamon and enjoy. :)