Tipping

Replies

• FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    FYI for those of you that don't know this!

Servers do not make the same minimum wage as theirs is much lower due to the fact that they do receive tips. For example: currently in Colorado the min wage is $8.23 per hr but only $5.21for Tipped workers. The troubling thing about this is that no matter how good you are at your job, some people just don't tip period! Either because they don't like to or are unaware that Servers do make less than min wage.

Coming from a family of Restaurant workers, I'm asking you all to remember this and if you get good service, please remember to tip your Servers!!! Thank You! :smile:

Read my original post.

I can bet that there will be an offset for tipped workers and their pay would not be the $15 per hour as proposed.

• beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Last I heard, wait staff, bartenders and other people that work for tips are taxed as though they received 10% tips. That probably won't change with a minimum wage increase.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    What I don't understand is why we are so pissed off at the people making minimum wage, yet are perfectly content with CEOs making millions or taking stock options as a means to avoid paying taxes... Why is it OK for the Walton family being the richest in the country to pay their employees so little that they require so much government assistance? Yeah, let's subsidize the employees of Walmart since the Walton's can't bear to part with a few million.... People are entirely too pissed off at the wrong class..... Let them eat cake, am I right?

I am not mad at the people making minimum wage. If they increase it to $15 and hour, fine.

Why are you so pissed off at the Waltons. They will be forced to pay $15 and hour too if minimum wage increases. They are no different than any other employer. They are just bigger and easier to focus on. By the way, they employ more people in the USA than any other employer in the USA. They are the biggest employer in over half the States. Would you like to see them fail, so that you can pay welfare to 2.2 million people?
    No, never said I wanted them to fail.. but they aren't going to fail if they pay their employees $15 an hour by adjusting the pay scales in another direction.. but you see, this won't happen... and this is the problem... they will continue to take more and more and more and we will be pissed that prices increased because the poor people want a decent life... nevermind the extravagance of the waltons at the expense of the rest of the country... the poor don't deserve to have a decent life because they didn't work for it.... well, i think i may go out on a limb here and say that quite a few of those walton kids didnt work for it either... must be nice to have wealth handed to you.. Oh yeah, reminds me that one of the Walton kids was arrested for DUI near where I live.. all charges dropped...
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    The average monthly rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in the San Francisco area is $3,100.
    https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-san-francisco-rent-trends
    Your friends who are paying less than $600 for rent and utilities obviously have the best deal in the entire city.
  • arickettsjr
    arickettsjr Posts: 32 Member
    Everyone talks about how tipped workers make less hourly. But whenever I eat at a restaurant I can't help but do the math.

My family can go to a restaurant and eat and be gone in about an hour. If my bill for me, my wife, and my kids is $50 and I tip 20% that is an additional $10 that server earned that hour. My server is always serving multiple tables so . . .

$4 (hourly wage)+$10 (my tip)+$15 (other tips) = $29 for that hour of work.

I know there are a lot of variables, but there is definitely potential to make good money. When my wife worked for a bank she had restaurant workers coming in depositing wads of cash all the time. Plus, I'm sure not everyone is 100% honest about how much they make on tips when it comes to filing taxes.

All that being said, I think they should do away with basing minimum wage on expected tips; and then do away with tipping.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Kalici wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Entry level positions are meant to give a person experience and help guide them to a better lot in life.
    It'd be great if that were still actually true. Entry level positions are meant to act as the next best thing to slave labor (which in our society would be interns).
    All the more reason to stay in school, get an education and strive for a career.

Struggling provides motivation. The problem now is everyone thinks they are entitled to what everyone else has worked for.

Everybody has there hand out. My parents weren't privileged enough to get Food stamps. There was no such thing when I was growing up. Everybody pitched in.

Now, when somebody leaves home, they believe they should have everything they had at home. It shouldn't be that way.

My first apartment was furnished with a Bean Bag Chair, a hand-me-down mattress and box springs and shelving made from Cinder blocks and 1 x 12 planks.

When my kids moved out, they thought they should have 50 inch flat screen TV's, Cable, New furniture, etc.

What happened to working for what you have?
    Hypothetically if everyone went to university and earned a degree we would still need people to work in at McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts etc.

Well, those people are working for what they have. What they're trying to achieve is a living wage that allows them to pay for necessities.

I agree. I mean, these companies - like McDonald's or Dunkin' make enough profit to pay this wage without raising prices (though everyone assumes, probably correctly that prices will rise). Instead, they would rather keep the wages low, and have the tax payers supplement the rest in the way of food stamps and/welfare.

Because, you'd better believe that the group known as the "working poor" are on government assistance as well because they don't make enough for the necessities and still need help despite working full time.

It's not like they are asking for some insane amount. And $15/hr isn't going to mean they can get Country Club memberships and such. But maybe it gets them off government assistance and that's one less person tax payers as a whole have to help out.
  • arickettsjr
    arickettsjr Posts: 32 Member
    Anyone else read about the CEO in Seattle cutting his salary from $1MM to $70M and then setting the minimum wage for his company at $70M?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Anyone else read about the CEO in Seattle cutting his salary from $1MM to $70M and then setting the minimum wage for his company at $70M?

Yep. I'm in Portland. That was on the local news. Gotta give the guy credit for putting his money where his mouth is. I hope it works out for him.

• kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    I usually stay out of crap like this, but my head is about to explode so I have to say something. Minimum wage was meant for high school and college kids. It was NOT meant for people to raise a family. College is not for everyone, but you don't have to go to college to learn a skill; carpenter, HVAC repair, mechanic, etc. If minimum wage is raised to $15, then inflation will sky rocket and the money in your pocket will be worth far less. The whole discussion is absolutely ridiculous!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    I usually stay out of crap like this, but my head is about to explode so I have to say something. Minimum wage was meant for high school and college kids. It was NOT meant for people to raise a family. College is not for everyone, but you don't have to go to college to learn a skill; carpenter, HVAC repair, mechanic, etc. If minimum wage is raised to $15, then inflation will sky rocket and the money in your pocket will be worth far less. The whole discussion is absolutely ridiculous!

Actually, "The FLSA introduced sweeping regulations to protect American workers from being exploited, and created a mandatory federal minimum wage of 25 cents an hour in order to maintain a "minimum standard of living necessary for health, efficiency and general well-being, without substantially curtailing employment"

from minimum-wage.org/history.asp

This was because employers were literally paying employees pennies a day and exploiting their workers.

There is no way the current minimum wage is meets the goal of someone to maintain a minimum standard of living if that person also has to be on government assistance.

• ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    When I was 17, I lived on my own with 1 kid. I had 2 jobs (Wal-Mart and a cattle runner at a livestock auction on the weekends) I was going to college full time as well. Wal-Mart paid something like 6.50 an hour and the livestock auction was $100 a day, Saturday and Sunday and occasionally Friday nights. I paid for my apartment, my car, my utilities and sometimes I had a phone line for a month, 2 if it was good month with extra Friday work. It's not about how much you make, or how you want to live. It's about making it work for you and your level of motivation. My rent back then was about $350 a month if I remember right. Making $6.50 didn't cut it, with school expenses and having to buy diapers and formula (I didn't make breast milk, formula was expensive back then, can't imagine what it is now). But instead of complaining about how life sucks and going to pick up my taxpayer handouts, I got a second job. I went to school so that I didn't have to work 2 jobs for the rest of my life. You can make it work on a lower income scale.

Unfortunately, there is a major lack of motivation in American youths these days.

So I don't agree with bumping up minimum wage.

Tipping should stay a thing as long as those who are working for tips receive a lower base pay. And tipping should always depend on the level of service. I tip very well for good service, I tip very well when someone is obviously having a bad day but still smiles for their customers. I don't tip bad or no service at all.
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member
    It was started by a restaurantuer so he could pay his worker's lower wages, and then just took off from ther.

Check this out:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/04/everything-dont-know-tipping.html

Very interesting read on tipping.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Illini_Jim wrote: »
    I'm most shocked to read you go to a tanning salon....wouldn't have thunk it!
    I tan every year about this time in reparation for summer vacation. This year I am going to Cabo in May for 2 weeks and Vegas in August for 1 Week. I also have a 10 Day motorcycle ride in July. I tan, so I won't burn. My full head of hair provides no protection.

Wait...you give yourself skin cancer so you wont get skin cancer? Fight fire with fire, I like it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited April 2015
    ELMunque wrote: »
    When I was 17, I lived on my own with 1 kid. I had 2 jobs (Wal-Mart and a cattle runner at a livestock auction on the weekends) I was going to college full time as well. Wal-Mart paid something like 6.50 an hour and the livestock auction was $100 a day, Saturday and Sunday and occasionally Friday nights. I paid for my apartment, my car, my utilities and sometimes I had a phone line for a month, 2 if it was good month with extra Friday work. It's not about how much you make, or how you want to live. It's about making it work for you and your level of motivation. My rent back then was about $350 a month if I remember right. Making $6.50 didn't cut it, with school expenses and having to buy diapers and formula (I didn't make breast milk, formula was expensive back then, can't imagine what it is now). But instead of complaining about how life sucks and going to pick up my taxpayer handouts, I got a second job. I went to school so that I didn't have to work 2 jobs for the rest of my life. You can make it work on a lower income scale.

Unfortunately, there is a major lack of motivation in American youths these days.

So I don't agree with bumping up minimum wage.

Tipping should stay a thing as long as those who are working for tips receive a lower base pay. And tipping should always depend on the level of service. I tip very well for good service, I tip very well when someone is obviously having a bad day but still smiles for their customers. I don't tip bad or no service at all.

And there are fewer jobs around these days too. My son applied for his first two jobs, one as a busboy/dishwasher at a restaurant, one as a bagger/worker in the supermarket in town. Didn't get either one. My daughter was turned down for a couple jobs as well and the current job she has, I am certain she was considered for it over others because she knew the manager and he knew she'd be a good worker.

And then there's my friend the licensed LPN who can't get full time work in her chosen field either. Somehow the people against raising the minimum wage don't take into account that a lot of the jobs that were around "when we were kids" 20+ years ago are no longer around. In my area several mills & factories (knitting mills, silk mills, lace factory, patch factory, business forms factory, furniture and woodworking factory) have all. gone. out. of. business. The HVAC /heating contracting store...out of business. Another hardware store in town...closed. Bakery. Closed. The places left operate on a skeleton crew and avoid hiring full time workers. There is little left except minimum wage type jobs....

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Oh and places like McDonald's and other fast food places need workers - adult workers - during school hours. It's not as if they open at 3:30pm and close and 9pm during the week. :expressionless:
  • TheRoadDog
    I tan every year about this time in reparation for summer vacation. This year I am going to Cabo in May for 2 weeks and Vegas in August for 1 Week. I also have a 10 Day motorcycle ride in July. I tan, so I won't burn. My full head of hair provides no protection.

Wait...you give yourself skin cancer so you wont get skin cancer? Fight fire with fire, I like it.

A much greater risk for skin cancer when you get a sunburn than a sun tan.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member

Just put sunscreen on your head. I'm always telling my husband. B)
  • TheRoadDog

Just put sunscreen on your head. I'm always telling my husband. B)

I do. Always have 50spf in my saddle bag for my face and arms. Have some stronger stuff that my wife got me that I keep on my ears and nose. But, when you are riding all day for 10 days it helps to have a base tan, which I get by going to a tanning booth about 3 times a week 2 months before I take off.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Sorry, but have read not very good things about tanning booths. It's not for me---good luck, though. Oh, and have fun. B)
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member

Many economists will tell you that this is simply not true. More money in earners' pockets means more money to spend/return to the marketplace, thus boosting the country's economy and NOT resulting in this grossly exaggerated inflation of which you speak.

P.S. It still costs money to "learn a skill", and then there's an apprentice period where one usually makes very little money and does not have union benefits. So don't throw that out there like it's some automatic alternative to going to college.

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 969 Member
    Well, if people in fast food get $15 an hour would people, like secretaries, making $15 an hour see their wages rise? That's a job that requires more skills and half the time they want you to have a degree as well. So, would everyone see their wages rise based on the idea that if you are currently making $15 or even $20 because your skills/job is deemed worth $x more than minimum will you get more if minimum wage increases and your job is valued at $x more? You can see the can of worms we are opening here....

• TheRoadDog
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Well, if people in fast food get $15 an hour would people, like secretaries, making $15 an hour see their wages rise? That's a job that requires more skills and half the time they want you to have a degree as well. So, would everyone see their wages rise based on the idea that if you are currently making $15 or even $20 because your skills/job is deemed worth $x more than minimum will you get more if minimum wage increases and your job is valued at $x more? You can see the can of worms we are opening here....

Not likely to raise wages across the board. It has nothing to do with skills, schooling or experience. It's fast food workers that think they are getting a raw deal.

People in entry level positions feel they deserve the same quality of living as everyone else. They want to go straight to making the money necessary to live that life without putting in the time and money that someone in a more skilled trade or profession is making.

It's the feeling of entitlement that they feel.

• Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member

Not likely to raise wages across the board. It has nothing to do with skills, schooling or experience. It's fast food workers that think they are getting a raw deal.

People in entry level positions feel they deserve the same quality of living as everyone else. They want to go straight to making the money necessary to live that life without putting in the time and money that someone in a more skilled trade or profession is making.

Yeah, how dare they feel entitlement for food and a place to live. Next they'll be wanting heat in the winter time too!
  • ELMunque
    edited April 2015
    I make well over $15 an hour, and I've earned it, every penny. I have an 18 year old son and a 17 year old daughter, who have worked for every penny they have received from me, because I don't do spoiled. But my kids have everything they have ever needed and most of what they wanted because they worked for it. That's how it should be. Saying that, I can tell you that nothing good would come of them not knowing the struggle of doing it on your own for the first time.

Being broke when you are 18 and on your own for the first time teaches you what is important, how to budget and how to live within your means. It's an important right of passage into adulthood.

If you have enough money to blow when you are 18, and you don't have to budget for bills and food. You will still be broke when you are making $30 an hour because you never knew that struggle and never learned to save for the dreaded "what if" moments.

Tanning is bad, I did it once, didn't change colors but my skin peeled off. Terrible experience.
  • TheRoadDog

Yeah, how dare they feel entitlement for food and a place to live. Next they'll be wanting heat in the winter time too!

In your world everyone should have the same home, the same wage and the same luxuries? You don't think people should have to put in some time and training to move forward?

• TheRoadDog
    I make well over $15 an hour, and I've earned it, every penny. I have an 18 year old son and a 17 year old daughter, who have worked for every penny they have received from me, because I don't do spoiled. But my kids have everything they have ever needed and most of what they wanted because they worked for it. That's how it should be. Saying that, I can tell you that nothing good would come of them not knowing the struggle of doing it on your own for the first time.

Being broke when you are 18 and on your own for the first time teaches you what is important, how to budget and how to live within your means. It's an important right of passage into adulthood.

If you have enough money to blow when you are 18, and you don't have to budget for bills and food. You will still be broke when you are making $30 an hour because you never knew that struggle and never learned to save for the dreaded "what if" moments.

Tanning is bad, I did it once, didn't change colors but my skin peeled off. Terrible experience.

Couldn't have said it better myself (except for the Tanning part). Struggle helps build planning and budgeting skills. Helps you to appreciate what you earn.

• ELMunque

That's the comment that keeps the welfare system afloat. If you want to eat, work for the money to pay for it, if it's not enough, work more, or grow your own food.

Tell me, how do you feed your family and keep a roof over your heads? Were you entitled to that, or did you work your *kitten* off for it? You are entitled to work, that's your legal right, not food, a place to live or heat.

• Kalici

In your world everyone should have the same home, the same wage and the same luxuries? You don't think people should have to put in some time and training to move forward?

Now you're implying that paying people a basic living wage is the same thing as Communism, which is ridiculous. Increasing the minimum wage isn't going to magically make higher paying jobs vanish. Of course more skilled, better educated, more experienced workers should expect higher paying jobs and therefore have access to more of life's luxuries. The two are in no way mutually exclusive and I think you know that.

• Kalici

That's the comment that keeps the welfare system afloat. If you want to eat, work for the money to pay for it, if it's not enough, work more, or grow your own food.

Tell me, how do you feed your family and keep a roof over your heads? Were you entitled to that, or did you work your *kitten* off for it? You are entitled to work, that's your legal right, not food, a place to live or heat.

We're not talking about welfare we're talking about the minimum wage. If it were higher then many of these people wouldn't need government assistance - that's kind of the whole point. The minimum wage in this country is way behind the rate of inflation, that's an easily verifiable fact. This idea that people working minimum wage jobs are somehow lazy is insane - most of those jobs are very unpleasant, but they do them anyway because they don't have any other choice. Then someone like you comes along and tells them, "Well if you can't afford to feed your kids just get a second job, you slacker!" On what planet is that a reasonable position?
  • TheRoadDog

Now you're implying that paying people a basic living wage is the same thing as Communism, which is ridiculous. Increasing the minimum wage isn't going to magically make higher paying jobs vanish. Of course more skilled, better educated, more experienced workers should expect higher paying jobs and therefore have access to more of life's luxuries. The two are in no way mutually exclusive and I think you know that.

We are not in disagreement. My argument was not against a living wage. My argument was once it passes and a living wage is given, the argument for tipping is null.

There will be no need for tipping.

There will be a lot of small businesses that will fail, however. Most smaller businesses are operating on such a small profit margin that, without the benefit of tipping to supplement their employee's income, the increased wages will cause higher prices and reduced manpower.

While everyone makes an argument for the minimum wage increase (which I am not opposed to) they fail to see how this benefits the bigger companies and hurts the small business. The Mom and Pop operation will not be able to survive.